Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Idle problem when cold

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 10:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle problem when cold

Hi!

I have this annoying issue with idle in the morning...

Engine is bone stock B16A2

When I start the car in the morning, it revs up to 1300rpm and stays there like it should... when the engine is warm, idle is 750-800 like it should... no problems there...

BUT!!!!!!!!!!

When the engine is cold in the morning and I drive and come to a stop, the idle drops below 500 and immediately kicks back up to 1000... then it drops again below 500 and kicks back up to 1000... it does that 2-3 times and then idle settles at 800-900rpm and stays there... and if I come to a stop again, idle will drop AGAIN 2-3 times until it settles...

And it only happens for 2-3 miles while engine is not warmed up to operating temperature...

As soon as engine gets NEAR the operating temperature (it doesn't have to be fully warmed up), the idle problem goes away and idle is steady as a rock (750-800rpm)

So it only happens when engine is cold...

It is only idle problem, everything else is 100% fine... it doesn't burn any oil, I get great mpg, engine is very well mantained blabablablabla... it runs great, pulls great, no heasitation no problems at all... JUST THAT STUPID MORNING IDLE

I tried adjusting idle speed "by Honda manual" and the idle was affected and adjusted, but the problem was still there...

Another words I can adjust the idle so it runs at 1500rpm when cold, but it will STILL DROP DOWN below 500 and kick back up to 1000 when coming to a stop 2-3 times until it settles down...

I even went to Honda certified garage and they adjusted my idle and checked everything and they say everything is fine...

The funny thing is that there are no idle issues when the car is warm... but when it is cold, IT PISSES ME OFF

I tried disconnecting IACV and connecting it back while engine running and it makes that WOOSH sound when I connect it... when I disconnect it, idle drops to 550-600 and when I plug it back, it makes woooosh sound and idle instantly goes up to 800-900... so I guess it is OK...

I tried the following:

1. cleaned the IACV
2. adjusted valve lash
3. checked timing
4. checked vacuum hoses
5. checked sparkplugs
6. tried adjusting idle many times (idle goes up and down as adjusted but the problem still persists)
7. reseted ECU several times after idle adjustment

And the problem is still there...

What could it be? What can I do next?
Old 11-21-2007, 01:35 PM

Default Re: Idle problem when cold (KKVTi)

I had a similar problem with mine. If you look under the intake on the passeger side the fast idle solenoid is right there. there is a cover over the back of it. take that cover off and adjust that screw all the way in. should fix it.
Old 11-22-2007, 03:22 AM

Default Re: Idle problem when cold (namsdrawkcab)

Hmmmm... I looked but I couldn't find anything that matches your description...

My engine is B16A2 6th generation... And if you meant FITV (fast idle thermo valve), I think 6th generation hasn't got one...

Or maybe if you have some picture, so I can see what I must look for...

Modified by KKVTi at 2:05 PM 11/22/2007
Old 11-22-2007, 11:31 PM

Anybody?????

Here's another question...

Does anyone know if FAST IDLE (cold idle) can be adjusted on 6th gen.

On 5th gen, cold idle was controlled by FITV and could be adjusted... IACV was used only to control idle on operating temp... when engine reached the operating temp, FITV stopped controlling the idle and handed the control over to IACV...

but in 6th gen, idle (IN GENERAL) is controlled only by IACV+ECU... so it doesn't matter if the egnine is cold or warm, it is always controlled by IACV+ECU... and when cold, ECU compensates and opens IACV more to let more air...

So problem is, HOW CAN I ADJUST THE AMOUNT OF AIR ECU WILL "ALLOW" WHILE COLD?

So if anyone knows if this can be adjusted, it would be great...

Another words, what would happen if I try to adjust idle speed (disconnecting the IACV and turning the idle screw) when engine is COLD???

I don't want to do that because Honda says "NO_NO_NO"... manual says idle should be adjusted only when engine is at operating temp...

So if anyone knows, what would happen if I try to adjust idle when engine is COLD?

Thanx
Old 11-25-2007, 07:26 AM

up^^^
Old 12-10-2007, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

BUMP!!!! because i have the same freaken problem...lol
Old 12-11-2007, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to say the fast idle thermo valve, its right under the throttle body. You'll probably have to take the tb of to take fitv off and clean it, make sure you screw it back in the right amount. Reason i say fitv is b/c i think that control idle until its warm, then iacv takes over.