Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

idle problem... suggestions please

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default idle problem... suggestions please

I have had the swap for about 5 years now... in this car with high compression setup a little over 3. It hasn't lost a bit of power from day one to now, doesn't smoke no funny noises... until now...

the setup... (if it matters)

high compression b20 vtec swap, itr 84mm pistons, stock b16 head with GSR cams with tru-time adjustable gears and blox billet cam seal... arp headstuds... 310cc injectors (recently cleaned)... arp fuel rail... warlboro 255lph fuel pump... ecu is chipped with a similar setup's tune compensating an additional 4lbs thru adjustable fpr... SWAP HAS 23k MILES ON IT, PERIOD

the problem(s)

on start up the car idles at it's normal 1480-1520 rpm's (cold)... once the car warms up it drops to steady 950 rpm for about 20 seconds and then JUMPS to 2k rpm and back down to 1200 rpm's... and fluctuates like that duration of ride if car isn't in gear getting throttle... normal driving is fine, throttle seems to be hesitant every once in a while (possible tps?)

also considering a major vacuum leak but after extensively checking over vacuum lines and seals, nothing found...

WHICH leads to second problem

noticed that my breather coming from valve cover is spraying a tad bit of oil... the car however isn't low on oil and if so it's very very minor, not evident on dipstick.... i haven't had the time to take the valve cover off due to work and home time constraints, but as i said it's minor, but i'd like to figure it out before it becomes something major... plus it pisses me off to see ANY oil on my motor

i'm thinking a possible oil journal clogged with small piece of debris? but any other ideas are greatly appreciated on BOTH subjects

thanks in advance
Old 10-06-2010, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: idle problem... suggestions please

I think its ok if some oil comes from breather(is it routed to your intake?) If you had vacuum leak your idle would jump when you first start it. Clean your iacv(or replace) and TB and go from there
Old 10-07-2010, 06:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: idle problem... suggestions please

the breather is routed to the intake yes, and i thought it was ok as well, it's just ugly to see, and really never had the problem before...

i will try the iacv first i have tomorrow off finally.... very much appreciated any other suggestions appreciated as well