Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

idle problem - d16y7

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default idle problem - d16y7

My car recently threw 0300.0302,0304 and 1399.
It happened when the car was idling the car was shaking bad about 1-200 rpms
I just got an ex tach so now i can monitor it.

The car has a few different idle points when starting it is usually at 1100 or 1500 then could drop to any of these 4: 900,650,400,200.
At 400 and 200 the car obviously shakes really bad. I dont want to mess with idle screw because then when it is idling normally it would be too high. I think it may be map or ect sensor. A friend of mine had the same problem and it was a faulty ect.

So far I have done valve adjustment which made codes go away, but still idles rought as ****. And just put injector cleaner in, still waiting for improvement.

My next step would be test the voltage on everything like spark wires, plugs and injectors, anything else i should check?

I just dont want to throw money into this so im trying to do cheap things first.

I highly doubt its compression because in the other thread with ppl with like symptoms compression was never the issue. And my car drives fine.

Also I have a small crack in my oem header but it doesnt feel like air is coming out, could this be causing it?

Im trying to tell if I am loosing coolant due to blown gasket, is there anyway to tell if you have a bad(not blown but on its way) head gasket?

Any help would be much appreciated
Old 05-05-2012, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: idle problem - d16y7

How many miles?

When is the last tune up? Cap rotor wires and plugs? Alot of times bad wires cause it.

Sometimes a bad ECT will set off the CEL, but you can test the ECT with an ohm meter.

Check your fuel pressure.

Worst case scenario is a bad head gasket will a little leak, or low compression can cause it too.

Start off with the basics above.

I have a sim issue.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Replace your tps sensor
Old 05-06-2012, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by motegicivic
How many miles?

When is the last tune up? Cap rotor wires and plugs? Alot of times bad wires cause it.

Sometimes a bad ECT will set off the CEL, but you can test the ECT with an ohm meter.

Check your fuel pressure.

Worst case scenario is a bad head gasket will a little leak, or low compression can cause it too.

Start off with the basics above.

I have a sim issue.
Idk how many miles it has a swap, about 150.

Wires and plugs are both within a month new, plugs have white dust at gap point, which is lean right? I have a feeling its injectors.

Havent replaced rotor or cap but like i said im not just trying to replace parts so soon, trying to do free stuff first.

I will check the ect if i can figure out how to work my multi meter, i cant see where the ohms setting is i might have to buy a new one.

I would check my fuel pressure but I dont have a guage, is there a way to test if it is a good amount of pressure without a guage?

Im really hoping its not gasket or compression. I doesnt seem like im losing coolant but it may just be a tiny leak. I feel like my engine smells like its burning. I dont think its compression because it drives fine and currently i have no cels after adjusting valves. Ive been reading a thread on here with people with the same set of codes and it was never compression in their case.
Originally Posted by teal_93_eg6
Replace your tps sensor
Im not just trying to throw parts at it but il look into it, there are so many things i could replace i would go broke.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by david420
Idk how many miles it has a swap, about 150.

Wires and plugs are both within a month new, plugs have white dust at gap point, which is lean right? I have a feeling its injectors.

Havent replaced rotor or cap but like i said im not just trying to replace parts so soon, trying to do free stuff first.

I will check the ect if i can figure out how to work my multi meter, i cant see where the ohms setting is i might have to buy a new one.

I would check my fuel pressure but I dont have a guage, is there a way to test if it is a good amount of pressure without a guage?

Im really hoping its not gasket or compression. I doesnt seem like im losing coolant but it may just be a tiny leak. I feel like my engine smells like its burning. I dont think its compression because it drives fine and currently i have no cels after adjusting valves. Ive been reading a thread on here with people with the same set of codes and it was never compression in their case.

Im not just trying to throw parts at it but il look into it, there are so many things i could replace i would go broke.
Test the ECT, unplug it, there are 2 terminals, touch each one with each probe from the meter, set the meter to ohms like 2k or higher, should read between 200-400 I believe.

Fuel pressure you hook it up off the fuel filter, you can rent a gauge.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by motegicivic
Test the ECT, unplug it, there are 2 terminals, touch each one with each probe from the meter, set the meter to ohms like 2k or higher, should read between 200-400 I believe.

Fuel pressure you hook it up off the fuel filter, you can rent a gauge.
alright cool thx for the help