Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Idle/Engine Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle/Engine Problem?

Well i've had a problem with my idle for a while now and i'm really not sure what's up with it here's the deal: It's been idling from 1-1.5k in neutral or with clutch in, just recently when I start it up it will sometimes just sit at 2.5k. When I had the car inspected/oil change I had that problem checked as well and they said it was a bad IAC valve. I had my friend check it out who knows alot about civic motors and motors in general. He said that it was probably the iac valve and had an extra one to swap it out an test. He swapped the two iac's and we had the same problem so obviously they diagnosed the problem wrong and it just continued to be the same thing for a while. Just recently it will occasionally go to the 2.5k idle and neutral but when i'm driving (especially in neighborhoods) I can leave the car in 1st/2nd/3rd and the car will literally pull itself without me even touching the gas. It's really starting to freak me out and I have no idea what to do to get it fixed considering the shop diagnosed it wrong in the first place. Can anyone lead me to the light and try to help me figure out whats wrong, I'm not throwing any check lights and my engine is a JDM D15B Longblock all stock with the exception of an intake that is "custom" fitted for my car (pm me for details on that :x) and i'm really clueless as to where to go from here. ANY help is appreciated and I apologize for the long post but the explanation was necessary.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:46 PM

Default Re: Idle/Engine Problem? (JMhondaex)

anybody have any input at all? :x
Old 09-27-2006, 12:19 PM

today i noticed that if pull up on the gas pedal the engine will drop down to the normal 1-1.5k idle and i was wondering if this could be two seperate problems, once again any help is appreciated.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well i'm pretty sure your idle should be like 600-700 could be wrong. but try lowering it on the tb, also maybe spray the throttle cable with wd-40. or like you were saying check to see if your peddle sticks.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JMhondaex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">today i noticed that if pull up on the gas pedal the engine will drop down to the normal 1-1.5k idle and i was wondering if this could be two seperate problems, once again any help is appreciated.</TD></TR></TABLE>

if your iac was bad it will throw a CEL. if i had to guess i would say it was your fast idle valve. it most likely need to be cleaned out. the link below shows you how to do that.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=699787
Old 09-27-2006, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Idle/Engine Problem? (92'si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92’si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well i'm pretty sure your idle should be like 600-700 could be wrong. but try lowering it on the tb, also maybe spray the throttle cable with wd-40. or like you were saying check to see if your peddle sticks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

actually the idle should be around 700-900, you can try to adjust it, but i doubt it will work. his cable is fine too, i have this same problem, but i haven't had the time to clean out my fast idle valve.

oh, to the op, the valve is exactly under (bolted) to the the throttle body.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Idle/Engine Problem? (philosofy1)

Check the butterfly inside the Throttle Body. It has a (should have) a blackened ring around the edge of the butterfly flap which works as a seal at 0% throttle. If anyone has tried to clean the TB while making the intake, it's possible they may have damaged that seal. If theres an opening in the seal, air passes the butterfly allowing the additional un-regulated air into the motor which could cause your problems. This or other possible Vacuum leaks around the throttle body will be signs to look for. Hope this helps you troubleshoot. GL
Old 09-27-2006, 11:48 PM

Default Re: Idle/Engine Problem? (Rigginit)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rigginit &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Check the butterfly inside the Throttle Body. It has a (should have) a blackened ring around the edge of the butterfly flap which works as a seal at 0% throttle.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

BS Alert, that crap is not a seal
Old 09-28-2006, 05:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Idle/Engine Problem? (packthis)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by packthis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

BS Alert, that crap is not a seal </TD></TR></TABLE>

HAHA...i was like WTF? since when that became a seal?
Old 09-28-2006, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh then what is it? I know i cleaned mine off and had to get a new one because you could actually see a slight gap around the butterfly where air would leak through after i pulled the old one off and held it up to light. Even the brand new OEM TB had the Hard rubberized coating around the edge of the butterfly. So what is its point then? Im gonna stay with the "seal" idea that was recommended by a friend who was a mechanic unless you can prove me wrong but im open to be taught otherwise. Im not one to garuntee im right and argue about something im not sure of, just educate me without flaming as to what its purpose is please.
Until then, it was a problem with mine and i would still recommend checking it out.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rigginit &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Oh then what is it? I know i cleaned mine off and had to get a new one because you could actually see a slight gap around the butterfly where air would leak through after i pulled the old one off and held it up to light. Even the brand new OEM TB had the Hard rubberized coating around the edge of the butterfly. So what is its point then? Im gonna stay with the "seal" idea that was recommended by a friend who was a mechanic unless you can prove me wrong but im open to be taught otherwise. Im not one to garuntee im right and argue about something im not sure of, just educate me without flaming as to what its purpose is please.
Until then, it was a problem with mine and i would still recommend checking it out.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i wasn't flaming you, just didn't make sense. when you say that there was a gap, was the engine running? if so, the gap is suppose to be there. i have cleaned the butterfly a couple of times and i never saw a black seal around it.
Old 09-28-2006, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nah throttle body was off ... Ill try to get a pic up of my old one to better show what i mean. Maybe i descibed it wrong. Maybe its just that odd that no one suspects it. Ill post up the link to where i was at that kinda confimed my friends suggestion and maybe itll help OP as well.

Edit: ok heres the link that kinda reassured me it wasnt false info. as for pics i think my friend grabbed my old TB thinking it was a good one. As for the resealing part, I just bought a new TB. dunno how far to trust the re-sealing procedure.

http://spdweb.net/index.php?op...id=41

Modified by Rigginit at 9:49 PM 9/28/2006

Modified by Rigginit at 9:51 PM 9/28/2006
Old 09-28-2006, 05:54 PM

FYI You might want to read this for yourself. The menus on the left have all the info you need.

http://www.valvoline.com/pages...ct=52

Old 09-28-2006, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

did no one read this part?

today i noticed that if pull up on the gas pedal the engine will drop down to the normal 1-1.5k idle and i was wondering if this could be two seperate problems, once again any help is appreciated.

it would seem to me that you need to adjust your throttle cable.
Old 09-28-2006, 07:40 PM

Default Re: (instrument)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by instrument &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">did no one read this part?

today i noticed that if pull up on the gas pedal the engine will drop down to the normal 1-1.5k idle and i was wondering if this could be two seperate problems.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The throttle plate might be sticking Clean it