Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

idle dips in when cold

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 06:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default idle dips in when cold

Okay, so I posted some time ago about this problem and haven't been able to figure it out yet. So far it has only happened one time in the evenings but almost every morning. When I start the car (2000 civic ex, 101k miles, all stock but an unknown brand of intake) to go to work (~7:00am) I let it warm for a little bit but do not usually have time to let it move the gauge. It idles fine here (~1100rpm) and when I start to drive all is good until I release the gas and press the clutch. The idle dips down ~400rpm or so and is then to low for the alternator to recharge and causes my battery light to come on and headlights to dim. No other lights come on and the radio, interior lights, and the power windows all still work fine. It restarts with no problem and there are no warning lights lit. It does not always die, some of the time it dips and the battery warning light comes on but it raises the idle on its own, other times I am able to rev it before it dies (it all happens rather quickly). It has never died twice in one trip (it will start to happen a few times, but if it actually dies it is good the rest of the way). This started as the temperature began to drop. It does seem to have gotten a bit better but still happens. Not sure if it was something I did or just a lower temperature range now (started a month or 2 ago).

So far I have done the following (initially thought it was an electrical problem):
-replaced Negative battery cable with larger gauge
-replaced battery fuse (stock from dealer)
-replaced both oxygen sensors
-timed distributor
-injector cleaner
-had the alternator and battery tested (2x at different places to be sure)
-checked to see if I am on the ignition switch recall list (am not, should be fine)
-spoke with a couple service people at the dealership (concensus is to wait for something to die)

any ideas??

right now the order of demise is:
-release gas (I have waited a second after this to then press clutch, no difference)
-engage clutch
-idle drops
-battery light comes on
-headlights dim
-(sometimes) car dies

next on my list is to try is replace/recharge filters, put stock air box on, mass air flow sensor, good injector cleaning...

i am stumped , please any ideas????
Old 11-01-2006, 07:09 AM

Default Re: idle dips in when cold (PBSlayer2)

dude you seriously check all those things without checking your iacv first? I feel bad dude because i have a feeling you just wasted a couple hundred dollars. But in any case, your iacv is an electronically controlled air metering device that allows the computer to control the idle speed of the engine. It's located on the back of the intake manifold and should have a 2 pin connector attached to it. I believe 2 or 3 10mm bolts hold it on. Take it off, clean it, test it, whatever, just make sure it's good, and get a new filter for it if need be.

Old 11-01-2006, 05:06 PM

Default Re: idle dips in when cold (JDMFantasy2k)

hmmm, i will give that a shot before i do anything else... thanks
Old 11-02-2006, 08:55 AM
New User

Default Re: idle dips in when cold (PBSlayer2)

i am almost positive that it is your idle air control iavc like the other gentelman had said i had the same thing happen to in cold weather or cold starts idle goes up and down untill car is warm

Modified by williejohnson at 10:27 AM 11/2/2006