Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Idle Air Control Valve/IACV Check Engine Light Code

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Idle Air Control Valve/IACV Check Engine Light Code

Hello everyone! I got my 98 Civic EX 6 months ago and decided to mess around with the idle on my car.... Turns out I turned the screw too HIGH and didn't like it. I then turned it down and it was too LOW! Now my car shows the check engine light and has issues while driving. When I'm in a higher gear and going slow, the engine stalls like its not getting enough air flowing through. Also after driving for a period of time, the car starts to idle very high and starts to idle up and down.. I then turn off the engine and start it again to stop the problem. Please tell me whats going on and what needs to be done to fix this ISSUE?
Old 11-28-2010, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Idle Control Valave Check Engine Code

Did you pull the codes? Did you also put the idle screw back to original spot
Old 11-29-2010, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I took the car to Auto Zone and they told me it was the IDLE CONTROL VALVE.... I Don't know where the original spot was for the screw anymore.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

What specific OBD2 IACV code was pulled? There's more than one.

If you have a manual transmission, this is the proper way to adjust the idle speed:

Name:  picture_4661.jpg
Views: 8331
Size:  109.9 KB
Old 03-28-2013, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Idle Air Control Valve/IACV Check Engine Light Code

sorry for bringing up an old thread... but ive got a similar problem and don't believe I can make new threads yet..

98 Civic EX 5sp. just got it two days ago.. my first 5 spd.. 140k mi

got the IACV CEL.. comes on when I let the car idle for a while... noticed the tube coming from the valve cover has been blowing a little oil into the intake.. took the IACV out and cleaned it with throttle body cleaner.. (screen was gunked). seemed to run a little better .. but after idling an hour later check engine light came back on.

Every time the check engine light comes on for this, the engine goes into some kind of crap mode.. makes the car feel like the engine and transmission are going to fall out.. kind of a jerking feeling when you just barely touch and let off the gas.. Only way to stop it is by turning the car off then back on. This is a big deal because I drive the car for hours at a time, and even with the check engine light already on, after a couple hours it will blink then go into crap mode again

Place I bought it off of said the IACV was replaced about 60k mi ago.. that it shouldn't be bad.

Car idles around 1300 rpm... sometimes it will drop down to about 800, doesn't jump up and down, just idles high sometimes

Is there something else that I should be looking for that could be causing this? Going to clean out the throttle body tomorrow as I am sure it is nasty.

Also could I disconnect the tube coming from the valve cover in order to keep from blowing more oil into my throttle body without causing some other check engine light?