Idea...

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2003, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idea...

I drive an 00 SiR, Here is what I am planning to do

I currently have a SRI

I remember a thread about this I couldn't find it.
I plan on cutting a hole in the front right bumper (Where the black part is)
Runing furnace ducting up through the hole where the resonator is. Im hoping this will bring in enough cold air to my intake to get some gains. I will have cold air without the risk of hydrolocking. The way it wil be setup it will blow cold air right into the filter. It should also cool the engine a bit too,

My question is

- Would this be better then a CAI? ( because it is not sucking air from an enclosed space and breathe more freely in the engine bay?)
- Don't you get more Torque from an SRI then a CAI?
- Will I get a Ram-Air effect?
- Is this a useless waste of time?

Thanks for your time

Old 05-22-2003, 01:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Idea... (B16A2-EM1)

I did the same thing on my old 99 si. I use the metal 4 inch or 3 inch ducting and ran it to the filter. it worked ok. The best option is to have an air box with the ducting, around a cone type filter.
Old 05-22-2003, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you should get air that is a few degrees cooler, but it will not create any kind of ram air effect. Ram air can not be accomplished through any kind of intake on our cars. This worked with muscle cars and carberators. yea go ahead and point out the new camaro ss's and trans am's but they are not achieving what they did in the past, however they are much closer than our vehicles will be. You would have to seal off your intake and basically have NO length between your manifold and the inlet of the intake. but i am not saying your idea is crap either....you should get a bit fresher cooler air blown around your intake which should help. I am not sure weather the gains will be more or less than a cai, and there aren't many dyno plots to show that either short ram or cold air make more torque.
Old 05-22-2003, 02:01 PM

dug up a pic for ya
Old 05-22-2003, 02:04 PM

Default Re: Idea... (BigZ88)

try to incorporate some kind of screen in the pipng, either at the front of the car side opening, or mear the filter, or else you will have a filter clogged up with bugs and road debris. good luck!

is it beer thirty already!!!
Old 05-22-2003, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Idea... (B16b2b)

What if I ran the ducting right into the bottom of my stock airbox with an AEM drop in filter?
Old 05-22-2003, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

SpooN Man do you have any more pics?
Old 05-22-2003, 02:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not going to see many gaine because the stock tubing is restrictive.
Old 05-22-2003, 02:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Idea... (SpooN Man)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SpooN Man &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I did the same thing on my old 99 si. I use the metal 4 inch or 3 inch ducting and ran it to the filter. it worked ok. The best option is to have an air box with the ducting, around a cone type filter. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Did it wistle or make wierd noises? Did you notice it was faster then your SRI by itself?
Old 05-22-2003, 02:12 PM

Default Re: Idea... (Kamin)

No i don't sorry,

You could do this. Chop a hole in your stock airbox for the short ram intake. then run ducting from the bottom to the bumper.

Old 05-22-2003, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SpooN Man &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No i don't sorry,

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry pls explain,

Did it wistle or make wierd noises? Did you notice it was faster then your SRI by itself?
Old 05-22-2003, 02:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SpooN Man &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

dug up a pic for ya</TD></TR></TABLE>

looks like 10 hp rite there

you cant really get the "ram-air" effect with flexable ducting. anyone who's taken fluid dynamics can tell u that
Old 05-22-2003, 02:27 PM

Default Re: Idea... (dantastic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dantastic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

looks like 10 hp rite there

you cant really get the "ram-air" effect with flexable ducting. anyone who's taken fluid dynamics can tell u that </TD></TR></TABLE>

cooler air = more hp. anyways it was lame. get over it. Just buy a cold air or improvise
Old 05-22-2003, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you wanna try the airbox trick, get a nsx air box or atleast a type r. they are bigger and will allow more air through.. wont do crap with your stock
Old 05-22-2003, 03:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm currently using ducting from my front bumper to the engine bay, with a short ram/filter on a stick, I'd say go for it, it made a bit of a difference for me.
Old 05-22-2003, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Idea... (rodrez)

..and CAI's aare over rated IMO.

$0.02
Old 05-23-2003, 06:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rodrez &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm currently using ducting from my front bumper to the engine bay, with a short ram/filter on a stick, I'd say go for it, it made a bit of a difference for me. </TD></TR></TABLE>

But not that much right? Im just trying to decide if its worth it.
Old 05-23-2003, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've thought about doing this many times and have had many different ideas and how to make it most beneficial. My first thought was the Ram-air effect. Once i realized that is really unobtainable i looked at what other purposes it would serve to prove worthwhile. In the end i decided the only function is to feed coolor air to the area of your filter, when using an aftermarket short ram system. My final conclusion is that as long as your filter is not sitting just above your tranny and collecting all the hot air from that area than it's not really worth the time and effort. As long as your filter is sitting as far away from the tranny as possible and your intake piping is not a material that is highly conductive of heat than you are fine.
-Bryan-
Old 05-23-2003, 06:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Idea... (EGStreetHtch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EGStreetHtch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've thought about doing this many times and have had many different ideas and how to make it most beneficial. My first thought was the Ram-air effect. Once i realized that is really unobtainable i looked at what other purposes it would serve to prove worthwhile. In the end i decided the only function is to feed coolor air to the area of your filter, when using an aftermarket short ram system. My final conclusion is that as long as your filter is not sitting just above your tranny and collecting all the hot air from that area than it's not really worth the time and effort. As long as your filter is sitting as far away from the tranny as possible and your intake piping is not a material that is highly conductive of heat than you are fine.
-Bryan-</TD></TR></TABLE>

Do you think wrapping your intake would help also? Does anyone have a rough estimate as to how much of difference in power a CAI is compared to an SRI?
Old 05-23-2003, 07:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B16A2-EM1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

But not that much right? Im just trying to decide if its worth it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, IMO, anytime you're bringing cooler air into the engine bay w/out hurting anything, it's a plus. As stated before, you're not going to get a ram air effect on our cars, but again, cooler air is better air, and for the price of adding the ducting, it's worth it.
Old 05-23-2003, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B16A2-EM1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Do you think wrapping your intake would help also? Does anyone have a rough estimate as to how much of difference in power a CAI is compared to an SRI?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Some people swear by the CAI's. Personally, I don't. There were a few times I saw dyno comparisons on heavily modified motors, and the SRI had more top end than the CAI, while the CAI had way more midrange pull (comparing AEM to an Injen short ram). I'm always looking for more top end, that's what I prefer, so I'm using the short ram, soon to be using an ice box.
Old 05-23-2003, 07:46 AM

Fresh air is always a bonus. The ram air affect is pretty much a myth. You have air pouring in only at suitable speeds, but when you exceed that speed limit, air will just spill out and you lose what ever ram air affect you wanted. I personally don't give much about high top end, I'd rather have 6HP from 2K-5K than lose it for a 4HP jump at 7K. Not much of a drag racer though. Just my .02
Old 05-23-2003, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Idea... (RiceNmotioN)

I think you're on the right track witht he fresh air vent. Use a dremel to cut out the "fake brake duct", and it'll be way nicer. I did this mod without even taking the fender of wheel off. Gutter-Guard is the product you want for the screen...about $4 at Home Depot...easy to cut and form.

You might not gain as much as on a CAI, but you will see some gains on your SRI, for practically no $, while a CAI kit is like $100 for a few more hp at the top and a dip below stock in the bottom.

Another thing, as long as you're feeling very crafty, you can make a heat sheild out of one of those aluminum-looking sunscreens you get at pepboys... as long as it doesnt touch the engine block/head , radiator, or radiator hoses, and you've got it secured, it wont hurt anything, and it'll keep some more of the engine heat away from the filter. Use some black duct tape to make it look nice on the edges after you've cut it out. Make it fit right up to the hood.

Some people are real adamant about buying a CAI product, and will say "you get what you pay for", but remember, sometimes, what you're paying for is a sticker. And some things are so cheap and easy, its worth it just to try.

Get an outside temperature gague thingy from walmart for $10. It will help you understand what happens under the hood, and feel better about your experiment.
Old 05-23-2003, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Idea... (hatch2k)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hatch2k &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think you're on the right track witht he fresh air vent. Use a dremel to cut out the "fake brake duct", and it'll be way nicer. I did this mod without even taking the fender of wheel off. Gutter-Guard is the product you want for the screen...about $4 at Home Depot...easy to cut and form.

You might not gain as much as on a CAI, but you will see some gains on your SRI, for practically no $, while a CAI kit is like $100 for a few more hp at the top and a dip below stock in the bottom.

Another thing, as long as you're feeling very crafty, you can make a heat sheild out of one of those aluminum-looking sunscreens you get at pepboys... as long as it doesnt touch the engine block/head , radiator, or radiator hoses, and you've got it secured, it wont hurt anything, and it'll keep some more of the engine heat away from the filter. Use some black duct tape to make it look nice on the edges after you've cut it out. Make it fit right up to the hood.

Some people are real adamant about buying a CAI product, and will say "you get what you pay for", but remember, sometimes, what you're paying for is a sticker. And some things are so cheap and easy, its worth it just to try.

Get an outside temperature gague thingy from walmart for $10. It will help you understand what happens under the hood, and feel better about your experiment.</TD></TR></TABLE>

**** Ya!
Old 05-23-2003, 11:23 AM

Cold Air Intake from Ebay= $50
AEM bypass valve from Ebay=$50
Cutting up your perfectly fine bumper and maybe gain hp=pointless