Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

IACV- Where do the HOSES go from it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 04:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IACV- Where do the HOSES go from it?

I have NO idea, and I can not find any "clean you IACV" pics that show where they go. I'm trying to put my car back together today. And this will screw up the start up.

Also, what is this?
Name:  DSC00874.jpg
Views: 9138
Size:  67.7 KB

And how does this hook up?
Old 03-06-2009, 06:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: IACV- Where do the HOSES go from it?

Bump for myself
Old 03-06-2009, 06:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Lil Gnome
Bump for myself
That is the cold idle valve.. as far as hose routing depends on your setup most B-series have a port on the upper radiator hose neck at the head or at the intake mani then through the cold idle valve then to the iacv then finally back to the tranfer pipe on the back of the block.. you can delete cold idle valve, you'll either have to make a block off plate or purchase a throttle body without one..

Old 03-06-2009, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank ya!
Old 03-06-2009, 11:43 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

ya, you really just need to find two hoses that will allow the coolant to circulate through the valve.... It goes in one side and out the other. The sensor detects the coolant temperature and adjusts the idle accordingly.... this is why so many people think they have a bad iacv when in reality they are actually low on coolant (sometimes both are true). If coolant is not able to flow through the iacv it will not adjust the idle according to the correct temperature... this can cause a surge in the idle or just high idle. Anyway, to keep it simple.... find the two hoses that fit the barbs... make sure one comes from the cooling system and the other returns to it and you are golden. Don't forget to plug in the sensor when you are done... i seem to do that over and over.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i dont know why you would delete it though.. its not a cold idle valve, its a fast idle thermal valve (fitv) and brings up the idle on cold startup. unlike the iacv which does this electronically, the fitv is controlled by a thermowax plunger that expands and decreases in size relative to the temperature of the coolant flowing around it.

There will be a fitting on your intake manifold, right against the cylinder head surface, which coolant flows through. this goes to one side of your fitv. the other hose leaving the fitv then goes to your iacv. and once it leaves the iacv it drops down and connects up to the coolant pipe that travels along the backside of your block.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by njebudalla
The sensor detects the coolant temperature and adjusts the idle accordingly.... this is why so many people think they have a bad iacv when in reality they are actually low on coolant (sometimes both are true). If coolant is not able to flow through the iacv it will not adjust the idle according to the correct temperature... this can cause a surge in the idle or just high idle.
the iacv doesn't have coolant going through it, and is not affected by the coolant temp. the fitv is what regulates idle at cold startup, and is entirely controlled by the temp of the engines coolant. it also will fluctuate if its dirty, plunger has backed out, or if there is air in the lines.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by D16SiHatch
i dont know why you would delete it though.. its not a cold idle valve, its a fast idle thermal valve (fitv) and brings up the idle on cold startup. unlike the iacv which does this electronically, the fitv is controlled by a thermowax plunger that expands and decreases in size relative to the temperature of the coolant flowing around it.

There will be a fitting on your intake manifold, right against the cylinder head surface, which coolant flows through. this goes to one side of your fitv. the other hose leaving the fitv then goes to your iacv. and once it leaves the iacv it drops down and connects up to the coolant pipe that travels along the backside of your block.
Thank you dude. Do you know where I could find a pic of how the hoses go? I FULLY understand coolant in one side, out to the iacv. but I just wanna have second resource to be sure. And I CANT find ****. Idk why everytime I look for something, it comes up as different topics...
Old 03-06-2009, 09:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Lil Gnome
Thank you dude. Do you know where I could find a pic of how the hoses go? I FULLY understand coolant in one side, out to the iacv. but I just wanna have second resource to be sure. And I CANT find ****. Idk why everytime I look for something, it comes up as different topics...
here you are sir

The following users liked this post:
Old 03-07-2009, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Dude, thank you sooo much.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for posting this diagram. Anyone got this diagram for the JDM D15B? The hoses are different. The connecting pipe has 2 outlets instead of one. One is close to the waterpump side and one in the normal location as pictured above. I know one is for the IAC Valve and on th the D15B it happens to be the one closest to the waterpump. I am not sure why there are two or what I do with the other one. Help please.