Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

IACV problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IACV problem

I took my IACV to clean it and when i put it back together my car started fluctuating idle even more than it did before. I dont have a tach but it sounds like its going from 2k to 3k, its really loud. Ive been messing with it and now i got it to not fluctuate but is still extremely loud when idling, has to be at least 2k it sounds more like 3 or 4. It drives ok but its almost louder idling than when im driving. I believe when i took it apart i lost a piece. I couldnt find a diagram to describe it but its the part on the right hand side if your facing the bay. It is a spring mechanism that is supposed to move this little metal piece. I took the part to a local mechanic and he said the spring is their to move the piece back just like how the throttle. I really need this fixed asap im supposed go to work later but im probly gonna have to call out. Im going to the junk yard to hopefully get this piece. Also, my throttle cable is very frayed so that might be effecting this. All i can think of is that its either im missing that piece or my idle is set way to high but i dont know what to adjust it. Loosening the screw seems to do nothing.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: IACV problem

Try adjusting the FITV. More info what motor is it?
Old 03-02-2012, 11:31 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Bleed the cooling system!
Old 03-02-2012, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Forgot about this! This can cause a lot of high idling issues
Old 03-02-2012, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

try resetting the ecu something similar happened to me when I cleaned mine
Old 03-03-2012, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DelSol-B18
Try adjusting the FITV. More info what motor is it?
Yeah I might try that next but i really think I lost a piece for the IACV, now it runs pretty good usually with occasional small fluctuation on start up. And its a d16y7.
Originally Posted by grumblemarc
I tried to do this, though i dont know if i did it sucessfully. I have done much research so im not just asking without hours of searching. When I did it all i did was turn the car on with heat on full but no air, then I just poured 50/50 coolant into it and tried to get most of the air bubbles out. I read that 96 and up dont come with air bleeder holes which sucks or is there another way. Also after I did my attempt i read taking the distributor cap helps.

Also I discovered I have a small vaccum leak is on the block, its just a metal stem, I put a rubber cap over it for now Im gonna try to get a picture cuz i have no idea what it is.

Originally Posted by jdmem205
try resetting the ecu something similar happened to me when I cleaned mine
Do i just unplug neg terminal? Do i need to have my CEL reset because i still have the code for IACV and Idle air control system.

This is where the piece may be missing from. The right side, I unscrewed those to screws that arent circle or anything. Inside there is a little piece of metal that moves in a cricle and a spring, I have no idea how it works. I will try to get a picture up soon.