Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

IACV?? help a new EGer out

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IACV?? help a new EGer out

hey guys.. ive bought myself a 93 cx hatch with a ls vtec swap and it has a few problems. im new to obd1/bseries/vtec etc.... my dealings in the past have been limited to ef's and zc's so im a little ignorant on all this here we go

the car is a ls vtec done with a gsr head and a 93 gsr ITmani. the car idle surges fairly fast like wump wump wump wump (like if it had a fat cam i it... or soething)and has a high pitch dremel tool like noise that seems to be coming from the iacvbut goes away at partial throttle. im also having problems with the car violently stuttering and stamering at about 15% throttle.. anything over that it pulls great. its a but diffucult to drive because for it to accelerate smoothly you have to get on it. not so good in traffic.

anyone have any ideas?? could this be the iacv? and if so.. are all the b series motors the same for the part? or do i need one specific to the 93 gsr intake mani i have??

thanks in advance for helping.. i know its a lot of ****.. ineed to get this thing fixed so i can enjoy it!!

-Clayton
thanks
Old 05-08-2006, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: IACV?? help a new EGer out (claytonsmith)

bump... anyone?
Old 05-08-2006, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hahah good luck with the idle problem man. I have it too, and alot of people here will tell you this and that but seems like nothing has worked for me yet. but here are some stuff you can go over: check vacum lines or leaks, bleed coolant if possible, check tb gasket, clean iacv and you might want to do the same for the fitv if your car has one. thats all i can think of, hopes that helps cause it didn't for me. i just learned to live with the problem. good luck
Old 05-08-2006, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Are you throwing a CEL, because you should if it surges and shakes on and off throttle. That is what my crap did for so long and it was annoying. If so you can try rewireing the IACV to see if its even getting a good signal. Its just 1 12v in and a signal output to the ECU. Not hard to wire, but it sounds like its broken and not wired wrong.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Max Kling)

it is throwing a CEL... i tried to jump the plug under the dash to get the code.. but when i went to look for it.. there was no plug so yes.. it is throwing a cel....the stuttering REALLY reminds me of the ignition breakin up.. but its hard for me to believe that the idle surge and stuttering are 2 dif things.... so maybe its all the iacv?
Old 05-08-2006, 11:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (claytonsmith)

keeping it on the 1st page
Old 05-08-2006, 11:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If there's no plug to jump it then get a reader
Old 05-09-2006, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Hcivic02)

where would the reader plug in at though??
Old 05-09-2006, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: IACV?? help a new EGer out (claytonsmith)

bump because I have the exact same problems.... it bogs if you let it idle when you're at stoplights, ect. It only bogs when it's warm. I also have a cel for it.

I've tried replacing the iacv to a different one, but it still bogged. I've replaced that o-ring gasket, new rotors, cap, wires and plugs. Also readjusted the tps. No luck

I think im gonna that it to the dealer
Old 05-09-2006, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: IACV?? help a new EGer out (longuyen88)

Ok...if you rev it to right at 1500 rpm in nuetral, does it start to "peg" on it, as if thats the rev limiter unless you push the gas down a bit harder?
Old 05-09-2006, 10:44 AM

Default Re: IACV?? help a new EGer out (EH3Civic)

i have the same problem and i've tried multiple tps' and iacv's i finally bought an edelbrock throttle body with the tps precalibrated and it still didn't work. i finally took it to brauning motorsports and mark told me to get a new o2 and try to adjust the tps anyways. hope this helps i haven't tried it yet just too lazy and cheap to get the o2 yet
Old 05-09-2006, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: IACV?? help a new EGer out (EH3Civic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EH3Civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok...if you rev it to right at 1500 rpm in nuetral, does it start to "peg" on it, as if thats the rev limiter unless you push the gas down a bit harder? </TD></TR></TABLE>

yup, that's exactly what happens. I also have that whistle that he stated earlier. I noticed that if you unplug the iacv, then the whistle goes away, but you'll get that bog asap. if you keep the iacv plugged in, it will whistle and bog only if you let the engine idle. So at stoplights, I would tap the throttle lightly to keep it from bogging.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Its prolly wired wrong or not getting a signal.

Turn the ignition on but you dont have to start the car, unplug the IACV and use a multimeter to see if one wire is getting 12 v.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:33 PM

The plug is there,Brother. It's just a little hard to find. Remove your glove box and you'll see it taped to a main wire harness with blue tape. Good luck.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Max Kling)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Max Kling &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Its prolly wired wrong or not getting a signal.</TD></TR></TABLE>

This was my problem when I first got my b18c put in my car. I couldnt figure it out for the life of me, but luckily, a guy in town had the same setup (thanks kenny) and we worked it out. The two wires that were switched were very odd because NEITHER went to the IACV. One went to the IAT and one went (if i remember correctly) to the little plug up under the manifold). I had to extend them both by a foot to get them to reach right. Of course, if this is the case, you'll probably throw an IAT code once its fixed because switching those wires will literally melt you IAT almost everytime.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I know i am using the right plug, but i'll test to see if im getting any signal from the wire.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (longuyen88)

sounds like you need some new spark plugs and wires
and if thats not it. adjust your valves it may misfire if its too tight
and make sure your distributor is obd1. obd0 doesnt work on obd 1 cars
if you rewire it

Modified by ATS-EG2 at 10:09 PM 5/9/2006

Modified by ATS-EG2 at 10:14 PM 5/9/2006
Old 05-09-2006, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i just replaced the rotor, cap, plug, and wires. it made the idle a little better, but it still bogs
Old 05-09-2006, 09:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah im having the exact same thing as longuyen88 i looked today in daylight and the damn iacv wasnt even plugged in!! i plugged it in and the idle "whump whump whump" changed to a more slow drawn out idle surge.. more like a vrrooom *idle falls back down* vrooooom * idle falls back down* so i just unplugged it again.. and it returned to "whump whump whump" im gonna put the multimeter to it tomorrow and see if its getting 12V.. but i assume it is because plugging it in made the idle change. and as far as i knew theres no wiring involved in the iacv?? isnt it just plug and play from the D series?? or not? the weirdest thing is the damn whistling?? whats up with that? \

-Clayton
Old 05-09-2006, 10:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by claytonsmith &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> as far as i knew theres no wiring involved in the iacv?? isnt it just plug and play from the D series?? or not? the weirdest thing is the damn whistling?? whats up with that? </TD></TR></TABLE>

I have no idea about the whistling. All i know is that when i had the same symptoms (minus whistling), I DID have two wires mismatched that SHOULD NOT have needed to be extended, but they did. I was certain they were right, but i was wrong.

And again, I was throwing IACV code, but the IACV was never the problem...i assume that the odd switch up caused a reduction in voltage TO the iacv and therefore, it threw the code...the iacv was never my problem though...so yes you're right, there shouldnt be a problem with the iacv itself.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EH3Civic)

i checked and the iacv is getting voltage...... im not sure how much..less than what comes directly out of the battery... but not much less. i figured thats ok? i cleaned out the iacv and plugged it in and the idle surge is still there but it changed to a more sweeping kinda instead of erratic whump whumpw hummp. and the bogging i was experiencing at like 5-10% throttle is now gone... whistling is still there.. im just gonna buy a new iacv and see how that works.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well man, good luck. If the new iacv fixes the problem, be sure to post up. I'm curious to see how it turns out.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

damn, i wish the bogging would go away on mine when i cleaned out the iacv. I used a different iacv from an older gsr, but that didn't change anything. Maybe I have to get a new one, but a new one is 180 bucks. :-\

did you try putting new cap, rotor, plugs, and wires in?
Old 05-10-2006, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (wyte_civic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wyte_civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">this just in my car does it too... kinda sounds like a drag car... lol.. mine whistles too! when im barely on teh throttle...i also swapped my iacv and it did the same thing... Hmmm...</TD></TR></TABLE>

did you swap out a brand new iacv or a used one? is it a known good one if it's used?
Old 05-10-2006, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well guys i went by a local honda shop here.. turns out the guy there thinks its the fast idle valve.. if you take the throttle body off its right below the opening in the intake mani... apparently theres a plastic nut in there that works its way loose over time causing the idle surge AND whistle. the guy stuck his finger in the TB and plugged up some hole leading to that fast idle valve and the whistle stopped... im gonna tighten it up tomorrow and ill post up what happens

-Clayton

Quick Reply: IACV?? help a new EGer out