Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

IACV Code 14 after replacing crankshaft --> (Solved) - swapped sensor connectors

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 08:00 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IACV Code 14 after replacing crankshaft --> (Solved) - swapped sensor connectors

I just want to say...I love the internet. This is a post to give kudos to everyone on Honda Tech.

Let me start by saying I am a competent mechanic and I bought a 93 Civic from a neighbors Niece for $250. It ran but the crankshaft pulley bolt sheared off in the crank. Actually sheared off the end of the crank shaft. I have never worked on a Honda but I am a pretty good mechanic so I pulled the motor and ordered a new crankshaft and gasket set. Long story short, I got the motor back in the car, primed the fuel system and she started right up and a code 14 cel came on right away. So the troubleshooting begins.

First...buy a manual and a multimeter! I already had these but they are a must if you want to work on your own vehicle. So code 14 is the iacv. I check on this forum and they say to clean it. I removed it and cleaned it. My symptoms were erratic idle and when you lightly push on the throttle the car would sound like this...ba ba ba. Idle was a little high and above slight throttle advance it sounded good. So I checked the resistance on the iac which was 13.3 and voltage grounded to the body was in spec. Pulled it back off and hot wired it and heard the clicking. It checked out good but same problem was there. Re-bled the coolant system. Took the throttle body off and thoroughly cleaned it and the fitv. Put it back together and it purred like a kitten but still the ba ba ba. Took it for a test drive to open it up. Came back home and still ba ba ba on slight throttle opening. Got on this forum again and read through all the iac posts (swaps, 3 to 2 wire, vacuum leaks etc.) On one post a guy had the same problem with his motor swap. Someone posted to check the connectors for the iac and another sensor as they had the same connector. I immediately went out and checked mine. Yep there are two connectors that are the same fit. swapped them out, cleared the computer and it runs perfect with no cel!

So moral of the story is...mark your wires/connectors before you disconnect them. I have never had this happen before. I always used the saying..."they only go to one place". BS...especially if on a Honda

Old Hondas...clean throttle body well, clean IAC and fitv(take apart and reset the valve) and make sure you have no vacuum leaks by spraying around with carb cleaner and listen for idle to go up or down. Your Honda will idle perfect after all these steps are followed. Use the search function! Buy a manual and a multimeter, label all wires/connectors before removing and subscribe to Hondatech. Thanks to all who have posted.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: IAC IACV Valve Idle RPM Code 14 PLEASE READ!!!

glad to hear you got it fixed a bad idle can be super annoying.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: IACV Code 14 after replacing crankshaft --> (Solved) - swapped sensor connectors

Props! nice work !

I got the same cel code 14 on b18a1 89 sedan swap it's driving me nuts! hoping you had some time to work me thur some of this troubleshooting? PM sent
Old 06-05-2012, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: IACV Code 14 after replacing crankshaft --> (Solved) - swapped sensor connectors

Glad u solved it