Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

i_Shift's 96 Hatch build thread (High comp Low Boost) 56k = ANGERY

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i_Shift's 96 Hatch build thread (High comp Low Boost) DIY added 4/6/11

Wrinkle Black Valve Cover DIY on POST NUMBER 8

My biggest regret on my last build was that I never did a built thread. In fact I mostly have lurked here at HT for the past few years, and NOW I have decided to contribute.

Car: 1996 Honda Civic CX (AC, no PS)
History: 220k miles by the Original owner, a sweet old lady that had the MYTHICAL STACK OF RECORDS THAT WAS NEARLY 8" TALL

The day I got it

The only body damage was a dent in the hatch

Which I promptly replaced with a Hatch I fount in Jax, that was black, so I rattle canned it. It looks ok... good enough until I can paint the whole car. sanded the old DX badge glue off. Matte blacked the H too, since it looked old and sun bleached.

I intended to do suspension first, but found a great deal on these Drifz 517 wrapped in Potenza 760s and got them

Then went back to Jax and got the platform for the build...
JDM SOHC ZC

I bought a 3M headlamp restore kit and followed the directions to the T...
Before and after

The stock cluster was an ever present reminder that she had been around the block a few times before we were together and that we still had secrets from eachother... she would not even show me her RPM, so I installed a cluster out of a 97 coupe that had been T-boned.
She also hinted to the idea that, in some cases, shorted IS better.... so in goes an Egay short shifter!

Parts going in and on the ZC block when she gets back from the machine shop:
KMS P/P Z6 head with a KMS Stage 3 Street cam
PM7 pistons
LS rods (no pics yet)
TD04E 15G turbo (no pics yet)

That being said...
more updates to come!

Last edited by i_shift; 04-06-2011 at 03:52 PM.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: i_Shift's 96 Hatch build thread (High comp Low Boost) 56k = ANGERY

Space Reserved for Future Media and updates
Old 04-03-2011, 12:54 PM
Crazy Honda Guy

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You should resize those pics to 800x600 so it's easier for other to see.

Also looking for some tech
Old 04-03-2011, 12:57 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Loving the kiddy pool in the back

When I get around to doing my swap I'll have to remember that.
Old 04-03-2011, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ek forever guy
Loving the kiddy pool in the back

When I get around to doing my swap I'll have to remember that.
Thanks, it just made sense, and I put some small pieces of plywood in there to spread the weight out. it worked splendidly.

As far as tech... nothing I have done yet really needs a tech write up... however, I will be sure to do so! I am sure a high comp low boost D16 will raise a few eyebrows. And I will swap out to clickable thumbs from now on pic the pics
Old 04-03-2011, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What all are u having the machine shop do to the block?
Old 04-03-2011, 10:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just getting hot-tanked and having the deck checked.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default DIY: Painting and refinishing a Valve Cover in Wrinkle Black

This DIY goes through the process of taking a plain and dirty honda SOHC Valve cover and giving it a clean factory look that really dresses up the engine without screaming "RICER!"

Difficulty: 1.5/5

You will need:
1 can VHT Wrinkle Plus Black (or red if that is what you desire)
1 can of Brake Parts Cleaner
Some masking tape
pliers
10mm socket
roll of Paper towels
80 and 120 (or 200) grit sand paper

Optional: Wire Brush

Step 1:
After letting the motor cool off, take the spark plug wires out of the cylinders.
Remove the throttle cable bracket
(if on the VC of your model) and spark plug wire separator using the 10mm socket.

Step 2:
Using pliers, undo the clamp on the vaccum/breather line on the back of the VC, squeeze it open and slide it back, then pull the line away from the VC. Now using the 10mm socket, loosen the bolts with the grommets on the top of the VC all the way, loosening the center one last.

Step 3: Make sure you have taken the oil cap off and put it in a clean and safe spot. Pull the VC up and off of the head. If the VC gasket is still in the VC, carefully remove it and put it in a clean safe place. (plastic bag works)

Step 4: the head is now exposed so place some paper towels or a garbage bag over the exposed head and put ratchet and pliers over it to keep it from falling of blowing away. You may also want to close the hood too.

Step 5: Use rags and Brake parts cleaner to clean the Valve Cover. Don't skimp out either Brake Cleaner is cheap, and is you do a crappy job cleaning the VC, that is how it will look... crappy. You may want to use the wire bush too. Then when you think its good enough... go ahead and blast what is left in that can of cleaner on the VC.

Step 6: Tape off the part where the oil cap goes, and using a knife, cut the tape away around the ring, that way you get the VC painted but keep a good seal for your oil cap. Now, since I left my spark plug well gaskets/grommets in place, I used half a paper towel that I then folded in half to plug up the spark plug grommets by pushing it up from the bottom with my finger. Do this to each one so the rubber does not get painted. You may also want to tape off the vacuum/breather tube on the back... I didn't.

Step 6: Apply a nice and think and EVEN coating to the whole VC, using smooth horizontal passes with the paint.
Then allow 5 to 15 min to pass before doing another coat, even if you think it won't need it. IT DOES. I like to call this time: BEER BREAK!

Step 7: Now move it to somewhere safe to dry OVERNIGHT. The corner of the garage is what I chose. Since the car is not going anywhere tonight, feel free to take an extended beer break now.

Step 8:
After letting the paint cure overnight, remove the tape and paper towels, and take the 80 grit sandpaper and scratch away the thick layer of paint on the raised lettering, this is just to get the bulk of the paint off the letters. Do the more detailed stuff with the 120 or 200 grit now that you have gotten the thick paint off. Try to always sand in the same direction, this makes it look better.
(these pics are from a VC I did last week, since the VC above was still drying when I posted this)

Now re-assemble in reverse order from Step 4 and ENJOY!