Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

I would love to buy an EG hatch, but IS SAFETY GOOD/BAD?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 08:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I would love to buy an EG hatch, but IS SAFETY GOOD/BAD?

I have an EK right now, and want to buy an EG and swap it. The main thing stopping me is safety. In an accident, how can a little hatch like this stay safe? Thank you.

Old 04-04-2005, 08:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: I would love to buy an EG hatch, but IS SAFETY GOOD/BAD? (Hazem)

If you really want you can weld in a roll cage. Pretty much all compact cars are screwed when it comes to safety in crashes. So just don't get into an accident.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I would love to buy an EG hatch, but IS SAFETY GOOD/BAD? (bad93ex)

ive seen people here and on the road survive some crazy *** wrecks
Just use common sense and u wont need to worry much about safey..just keep an eye out for other dick-headed drivers out there
Old 04-04-2005, 08:34 AM
POE
Honda-Tech Member

roll cage
Old 04-04-2005, 08:34 AM

I haven't crashed my eg but I can tell you that in stock mode on the freeway its a scary ride I haven't gone faster than 85mph because it starts kinda wobbling. but im sure after you upgrade it, it will be a smoother ride. I had an integra that I crashed and flipped over a thousand times going at 140 mph demolished my car but im still here to talk about it. so my guess is that the eg would hold up to.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well i don't think the safety difference between a EK and a EG would be that big, that's assuming your driving a EK hatch right now.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:36 AM
POE
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I would love to buy an EG hatch, but IS SAFETY GOOD/BAD? (h kid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by h kid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I haven't crashed my eg but I can tell you that in stock mode on the freeway its a scary ride I haven't gone faster than 85mph because it starts kinda wobbling. but im sure after you upgrade it, it will be a smoother ride. I had an integra that I crashed and flipped over a thousand times going at 140 mph demolished my car but im still here to talk about it. so my guess is that the eg would hold up to.</TD></TR></TABLE>
scary knowing this dude is on the road!!!
Old 04-04-2005, 08:37 AM

get a 5th gen sedan, they're lighter and hold up better in an accident, I'm living proof, I got rearended by a drunk 4 weeks ago. if it was a hatch, well....lets just say his bumper would have been touching my ***....
Old 04-04-2005, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

All cars have to pass safety in order to be certified driveable on the road. Therefore, all cars are safe. Just don't get hit by a semi.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:39 AM
POE
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mattEG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mattEG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">All cars have to pass safety in order to be certified driveable on the road. Therefore, all cars are safe. Just don't get hit by a semi.</TD></TR></TABLE>
i begg the differ.
What about GEO METROS or pacer?
Old 04-04-2005, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hazem &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have an EK right now, and want to buy an EG and swap it. The main thing stopping me is safety. In an accident, how can a little hatch like this stay safe? Thank you.</TD></TR></TABLE>
As you can see I am part of the airbag club.....it was in an EG hatch. I was doing 40mph and slammed into a bitch that turned in front of me in a Trailblazer....totaled the front end and my beautiful B20/Vtec motor. My buddy has minor permanent nerve damage because his seatbelt was loose and slammed against him (or vice versa). I got a massive headache...but generally we're still fully functioning construction/military guys.
EDIT: I'm getting a roll cage for my next hatch...and you should too...with proper harness....I think it'll make a difference.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:44 AM

Default Re: I would love to buy an EG hatch, but IS SAFETY GOOD/BAD? (POE)

scca
Old 04-04-2005, 08:50 AM

Default Re: I would love to buy an EG hatch, but IS SAFETY GOOD/BAD? (h kid)

I have an EK coupe. I doubt my dad would let me put a roll cage in, how much do they cost btw? My plan is to sell my EK for about 7-8. Then buy a hatch for about 2, drive it...save for a motor swap (b16a2) put it in, maybe paint it, add a lip.lower. So total spent would be about 4g's max.

Old 04-04-2005, 08:53 AM

These rollcages are hella cheap. What do you guys think of them?

http://autoweldchassis.com/rbc.ivnu

Would they work?
Old 04-04-2005, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Word on the street is you wanna stay away from cages for daily driving.... not good for your head in an accident, but definately get a bar thats what i have in my eg hatch, and although im not really protected from a side impact i feel comfortable for front and rear accidents...with corbeau 5 points for daily driving it sucks for long drives but i feel safe

Make sure you get harness pads, and you generally wanna get a cage that is scca approved with DOT tubing....autopower or kirk racing should do the trick
Old 04-04-2005, 09:13 AM

Default Re: I would love to buy an EG hatch, but IS SAFETY GOOD/BAD? (StreetEG)

Guess I won't get a hatch. Side collisions can be some of the worst. I really wanted one too.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

civics in general are very bad at accidents becuase of the size and weight. most cars/trucks out there are like 3-4000 pounds, and civics are like 2,000. its like using a 20 lb bowling ball hitting a 10 lb bowling ball, of course the lighter one is going to get knocked up badly.

5th generation hatches, on the other hand are pretty much the lightest that honda has made, and i seen some get wrecked pretty badly in accidents. the new civics (01-05) are alot safer because of the weight and some safety measures honda did.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:27 AM

Default Re: (civiccoupe94)

How much does a descent roll cage generally cost?
Old 04-04-2005, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

not sure... but you can weld it yourself and customize it to your specs.. seen alot of those
Old 04-04-2005, 09:41 AM

or ya can try monkey bars.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:57 AM
HT Order of Merit

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (Js2GEN)

Monkey bars? Are you retarted? Those are only for looks. I dont even think the bolt to anything. A rollcage from Autopower will run you at least $300, just for the rear crossmember. A full cage your lookin at around $600 at least.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hazem &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Guess I won't get a hatch. Side collisions can be some of the worst. I really wanted one too. </TD></TR></TABLE>

check out my sig for pics of my car....i got t-boned by a durango that was goin about 15-20 when it hit me and i was at a stop almost......im safe, but luckily there wasnt nobody in my passenger seat...
Old 04-04-2005, 10:26 AM
Imperious: Mod of Valor

Default Re: I would love to buy an EG hatch, but IS SAFETY GOOD/BAD? (bad93ex)

Not true, Volvos/Mercedes are some of the safest cars in the world.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:53 AM

I crashed an EG and walked away without a scratch... going about 45mph a deer jumped into my drivers side door hard as **** I actually lost control and slid off the road, skipped off a giant 5' concrete pipe (the top 10 inches or so were sticking out of the ground), flew about 20 or so feet into a tree. airbags deployed. felt kinda like getting punched in the face, but without the sting of knuckles. car was totalled and the tree was badly scarred but I walked away scott free.

I immediately went looking for the deer, but apparently he had gotten up and ran away...hopefully to go die somewhere...bastard

anyway I don't think its an unsafe car. just avoid collisions with trucks and suburban assault vehicles.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: I would love to buy an EG hatch, but IS SAFETY GOOD/BAD? (dreamer)

i just barekly clipped a light pole in my old EG hatch, and man oh man did it ever take a beating.

i only clipped about 3 inches of the car....headlight was untouched, and the entire car wrinkled like a tin can. the floor buckled up and jammed my foot between the floor and the clutch pedal, and the roof almost caved in on my head, and i was only going about 50kph, about 30-35mph.

i still bought another one, but i still do not believe they are very safe cars, but i still love them......IMO

Quick Reply: I would love to buy an EG hatch, but IS SAFETY GOOD/BAD?