Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

i want to turbo

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2005, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i want to turbo

Hello, i was wondering other than buying the turbo, what i would have to do to turbo my car, i have a d15b7 i want to say, i was wondering if it would be a good idea to turbo my engine... i have been reading and researching, but i cant find anything, my motor only have 18k on the rebuild, so i want to do sumthin with it, but if you could please help me out by tellin me if its a good idea to turbo it, and if i need to do anything else other than buy the turbo, please let me know you can e-mail me at civicxman103@yahoo.com, or post here, thanks alot
Old 11-19-2005, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: i want to turbo (cxcivicman1)

I would recommend to do a bit more serching trough the Forced Induction forums. Since it seems you are a newb at turbos I would recommend a Complete Greddy kit, comes with all the parts you need to install.
Old 11-19-2005, 09:20 PM

i was searchin on ebay, and i found a kit for 950, and it came with everything, done know the name of it or anything, but i read and it seemed good. i was mainly just askin if i should do some fuel mods or anything like injectors or anything. thanks for the input
Old 11-19-2005, 09:23 PM

Read up more on turbo's and engines in general. Personally I wouldn't waste time on a D series, but there are die hard D-fans on here that may tell you otherwise.
Old 11-19-2005, 09:25 PM

Default Re: i want to turbo (xEnderx)

ive been readin for 2hrs, but havent found anything about fuel systems, and id swap the motor to a b18, but i dont have the money, so imma play with my motor, but thanks for the imput
Old 11-19-2005, 09:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cxcivicman1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i was searchin on ebay, and i found a kit for 950, and it came with everything, done know the name of it or anything, but i read and it seemed good. i was mainly just askin if i should do some fuel mods or anything like injectors or anything. thanks for the input</TD></TR></TABLE>

From what Ive seen Ebay kits look cheap get a greddy or Elderbrock. On the Greddy kit you can run stock injectors and run their e-manage. You really dont need any fuel mods but would recommend to install a new fuel pump or just replace things that are high mileage to keep it safe. Im sure you can get a good used complete kit of the H-T Clasifieds.
Old 11-19-2005, 09:26 PM

You'll spend just as much on a good turbo kit and all the mods you'll need to make it reliable as you will on a B18B swap.
Old 11-19-2005, 09:27 PM

one of my buddies just did a turbo b18 swap and spent over 7 g's, and i found a turbo kit for 950
Old 11-19-2005, 09:29 PM

I'm no tgoign to argue with you dude. A turbo'd B18B swap done correctly sounds about right for 7k if he paid someone else to do it. As for a 950 turbo kit.....I wouldn't trust it farther than I could throw it. You get what you pay for.

"Cheap parts aren't good, and good parts aren't cheap"
Old 11-19-2005, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey bro if i were you i'd look into a mini-me ... For the added horsepower & of course vtec.

then turbo the mini-me .

Old 11-19-2005, 09:42 PM

Default Re: i want to turbo (eg8kid)

I thought mini-me's only worked with D16Y7 blocks????? I don't know **** about SOHC's though.
Old 11-19-2005, 09:49 PM

for th e amount of money you are about to spend reading for 2 hours on your purchase isnt enough
Old 11-19-2005, 09:53 PM

a mini-me is any combination of a vtec head mated to a non-vtec block. the nomenclature is not engine specific like ls/vtec or cr/vtec. anyways, a reliable 200whp with more torque than a b-series is very attainable on a d-series once turbo'd, just do a little more research. http://www.turbod16.com and http://www.homemadeturbo.com are good places to start
Old 11-19-2005, 09:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (blacks13ek)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blacks13ek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">for th e amount of money you are about to spend reading for 2 hours on your purchase isnt enough</TD></TR></TABLE>

Couldnt agree more you need to read up more. It does take more research then 2 hrs. You will end up buying something that you will not want later on. And there is nothing wrong with keeping you D series, there have been numerous D series hitting 300whp if done right the same goes with B series if done right you can reach some nice numbers.
Old 11-19-2005, 10:07 PM

Default Re: (EK-TSOHCV-TaKRider)

first, whats a mini-me? and also, i want to keep my D series because i saw that the D series can be just as good as the B series, with a little bit of money, can someone direct me to somewhere where i can look at a mini-me? and what it is please and thanks
Old 11-19-2005, 10:17 PM

Default Re: (cxcivicman1)

go to the top of the page to the search engine or to google type in mini me and you'll get ur answer or just look a couple posts up and they describe what a mini me is. SEARCH FIRST, ASK LATER!
Old 11-19-2005, 10:25 PM

Default Re: (sleepyskivic)

i already got a mini me, im not sure what the heads off of, but its a v-tec head, and its on the stock motor, so whats next? lol i have a header, cold air, and the head, and i want to have a faster car than what i have now, so turbo?? is that what ppl recommend, im kinda on a budget. i dont have alot of money to spend, and i just want sumthin that will get me somewhere faster than now.
Old 11-19-2005, 10:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cxcivicman1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i dont have alot of money to spend , and i just want sumthin that will get me somewhere faster than now.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Once again i am reminded of the golden "Three Word Rule"

Fast. Reliable. Cheap.....Pick any two.

Save up some money, because when it comes to turbo parts, cheap is not always better
Old 11-19-2005, 10:59 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xEnderx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You'll spend just as much on a good turbo kit and all the mods you'll need to make it reliable as you will on a B18B swap.</TD></TR></TABLE>

umm your gay..... a turbo'd dseries (done right) will eat b18 swaps all day long for the price.

Old 11-19-2005, 11:00 PM
* B A N N E D *

hey bro, you can do a turbo if you can come up with a good chunk of change,
greddy makes a kit you can get on ebay for pretty damn cheap but its really basic.
It has a small turbo and everthing you need, but they dont come with an intercooler, and your not going to see anywhere near the potential of a turbo without an intercooler. And if you're bent on keeping the engine you have, then turbo is the way to go. It can be done, it has been done, its just gonna cost you.
Expect to pay around $2000 for a good kit, try searching the For sale forum for a used kit and see what you come up with.

Anoher option to consider is a 50 shot of nitrous. Its cheaper than a turbo, and still packs a decent punch, but it will cost you in the long run becuase of the cost of refills (around $3 a lb)
Old 11-19-2005, 11:01 PM

yeah man save up the money and buy the good parts one shot instead of replacing those *****...big headache..950?? is u talking about that ssautoshit..stay away!!!!
Old 11-19-2005, 11:04 PM

Default Re: (OneFiveAlive)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by OneFiveAlive &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Once again i am reminded of the golden "Three Word Rule"

Fast. Reliable. Cheap.....Pick any two.

Save up some money, because when it comes to turbo parts, cheap is not always better </TD></TR></TABLE>

he's right man, don't turbo if you don't have cash to spend.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xCIVICx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">umm your gay..... a turbo'd dseries (done right) will eat b18 swaps all day long for the price.</TD></TR></TABLE>

he didn't say anything about power output, reading owns you.
Old 11-19-2005, 11:07 PM

personally i rather swap......becuse yeah maybe u can beat some b series but think about it your forcing your rngine to do so...while any b series is naturally ALL MOTOR!
Old 11-19-2005, 11:33 PM

The HKS GT-RS turbine in my 240 runs $2400 retail. A Garrett T28 ball bearing runs about $900 retail. You figure... if a quality turbo costs more than the eBay turbo kit, how good can this eCrap turbo be? Don't listen to the predictable posts that you'll see coming on this thread from people who have bought these silly turbo "systems." At my buddy's shop, some kid showed up with the same sort of cheap *** turbo kit to put on his D series EK. Had to put in God knows how many check valves because the MAP / ECU was flippin out. Turbo was cooked within a month. And the actuator was fucked up or sumthin and lead to a boost spike causing a blown head gasket. If you are going to do forced induction, save up some money and do it right rather than doing it 1/2 *** the first time and paying twice as much down the line.

One more thing... any turbo system you get, I'd check to see if it's a ball bearing or a plane bearing turbo. The latter is MUCH MORE likely to wear out or cook than a ball bearing system. Anyone know if the Mitsubishi turbos that Greddy uses is ball bearing or plane bearing?
Old 11-19-2005, 11:36 PM

Default Re: (SpydiR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SpydiR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

he's right man, don't turbo if you don't have cash to spend.

he didn't say anything about power output, reading owns you.</TD></TR></TABLE>

why the expletive would you turbo or even swap then?!!! Thinking OWNS you moron.

Quick Reply: i want to turbo