Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

I WANT TO RWD CONVERT MY DEL SOL.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 06:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon4 I WANT TO RWD CONVERT MY DEL SOL.

I need serious opinions on what would be a "better" way to do it, F20C swap in front, or mid-rear mounting something else? Yes i know its a big project but its what I want. Thanks in advanced!
Old 10-12-2018, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Re: I WANT TO RWD CONVERT MY DEL SOL.

option A: front engined, rear drive
option B: rear-mid mounted, transverse engine

option B is more simple in both scope and execution. provided you're good at project management and budget management, it's probably the cheaper option by a long shot. you also have many engine options as well. (D-series turbo, B-series, F/H-series, J-series...) and all of cutting and hacking and chassis mods happen in one place instead of every where. just need softer springs/coil-overs in front with a fuel cell under the hood and some plumbing down the tunnel to get coolant to and from the engine.

edit: on that note, if you don't have coil-overs already and you choose option B swapping the springs front to back would be a good place to start your chassis setup.

option A has been done at least a few times. once very well in a CRX but F20C and all the other parts needed to connect it to the wheels in back and still be able to turn the wheels in front... hugely complicated and getting more expensive all the time.

option A.5: a similar alternative would be a K20/24 with an adapter plate to a miata transmission and rear end. in other words, pull all the running gear off of a junk or for-parts miata, secure it to the belly of your del sol then add a K-swap kit. you get the added benefit of iVTEC too.
Old 10-12-2018, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

VERY useful information, I definitely took some notes. Thanks man!
Old 04-01-2019, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got a del sol as well and have long considered moving the engine to the back. as hondamark said cooling will be difficult especially if you boost it. id recommend a full size 2 core rad with fans, and having a transmission and oil cooler to help keep temps down. cause lets face it just asking about rwd converting means your not gonna be nice to it. lol. cutting vents into the "trunk" now hood will help with cooling and airflow. you can use stock rear widths and tire sizes and use oem axles or if you go the extra little bit and have the rear end tube framed for the engine you could modify it to fit what ever size tire you like there, but if you go too big youll require the use of custom axles, but whats that when your going this custom already. if your in a very hot climate then could consider a water/meth kit for times of "spirited driving" to help keep temps down again. also have to look into connecting the shift linkages but i know for sure its been done with d,b,and k series into the rear of a del sol. personally im a little biassed towards this method still as its how i decided i would do mine if i did.
Old 04-01-2019, 08:20 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

I want SWD my tacoma
The following users liked this post:
Old 04-02-2019, 02:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 179 Likes on 137 Posts

There’s an RSX on this site that a guy swapped 2 GM LS motors into. The biggest part is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
Old 08-23-2020, 09:01 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by Jvmezuno
I need serious opinions on what would be a "better" way to do it, F20C swap in front, or mid-rear mounting something else? Yes i know its a big project but its what I want. Thanks in advanced!

I have a question. What transmission would you use? And as well for shift linkage?