Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

i want my vtec ... help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i want my vtec ... help!!!

i have a 93 cx hb and everything is wired right for vtec ... i running a stock p28 until my new one comes in... but i cant hit vtec ... my cel is on but its only shootin code 41 which is primary o2 heater ..... what could be stoppin it???
Old 09-06-2005, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: i want my vtec ... help!!! (neophyte210)

Get rid of the cel. Check the primary o2 sensor wiring and connectors or replace the whole o2 sensor unit. THe reason for you being in limp mode and not having vtec is because of that o2 cel.
Old 09-06-2005, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: i want my vtec ... help!!! (chowmien)

i was told by several people that an o2 sensor cant hold back vtec .... but what your saying is that it can??? if thats the case i'll fix it tomm
Old 09-06-2005, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

top^^^
Old 09-06-2005, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump!!! cmon anybody
Old 09-06-2005, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

on a sohc motor how the hell can u tell if its kicking in? i have a cam IM and some other crap and i cant hear it or feal it, go hook one of those light thingys up and i bet it works,
Old 09-06-2005, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: i want my vtec ... help!!! (Senses Fail y0!)

my bad guys i have a b16 motor and tranny .. any help?? dohc vtec you can feel
Old 09-06-2005, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

anybody>?
Old 09-06-2005, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah on the SOHC motors VTEC is not even near as noticeable in a GSR, H22, etc. It truly lives up to its purpose which is Variable Valve Timing Lift Electronic Control. But if you must know whats wrong let me tell you VTEC is very picky, and needs several things to engage. Engine temp. should be about 1/3 to H on your gauge. Proper oil pressure so check your oil. A good selenoid. Some of these other guys can give you some obvious reasons.

Modified by rfoster03 at 1:55 PM 9/9/2005
Old 09-06-2005, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by neophyte210 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i was told by several people that an o2 sensor cant hold back vtec .... but what your saying is that it can??? if thats the case i'll fix it tomm</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well I'd fix it anyway because with that cell it throws your motor into limp mode which makes it run shitty.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: i want my vtec ... help!!! (rfoster03)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rfoster03 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah on the SOHC motors VTEC is not even near as noticeable in a GSR, H22, etc. It truly lives up to its purpose which is Variable Valve Timing Emission Control. But if you must know whats wrong let me tell you VTEC is very picky, and needs several things to engage. Engine temp. should be about 1/3 to H on your gauge. Proper oil pressure so check your oil. A good selenoid. Some of these other guys can give you some obvious reasons.</TD></TR></TABLE>

vtec= variable valve timing and lift electronic control dumbass...... not emissions..
Old 09-06-2005, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im pretty shure vtec will open up with any cel except for the vehicle speed sensor... my cel came on today for the vss and no vtec at all.. then i checked the codes 17 and 21 vss and vtec solinoid... checked the wiring.. connector came loose.... plugged it in and all codes came off...

i have had cels for a lot of things... tps.. map... o2... automatic shift solinoid and my vtec still worked
Old 09-07-2005, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (siregcivic)

thats weird cause vtec is wired right and its still not kickin ... im gettin an o2 like tomm from a friend but still dont know what it could be??? if my solenoid i bad it will shott a code?? thats the only other thing i think it could be
Old 09-07-2005, 11:07 PM

you have to chip out the p28 if you want to hit vtec. stock p28 the check engine light comes on. when check engine light is on you cant hit vtec.
Old 09-08-2005, 04:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by neophyte210 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i was told by several people that an o2 sensor cant hold back vtec .... but what your saying is that it can??? if thats the case i'll fix it tomm</TD></TR></TABLE>

the o2 doesn't have anything to do with it yes it doesn't really have anything to do with it directly but you are thowing a cel and it won't go into vtec because of it. It is making the car run in safe/limp mode and that is whats keeping your car from hitting vtec. Get the cel's fixed and you should have vtec.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: i want my vtec ... help!!! (Kista20)

What he said it has alot to do with open and close loop operation as far as i know there are 2 requirements for VTEC to engauge vechile must be going 20+ and engine temp must be at normal operating temp but an o2 sensor not going into closed loop operation can throw a CEL and there for a car to run in open loop, so when that happens it doesn't realize the normal driving conditions such as temp etc. In the end if there isn't a temp no VTEC
But that might not be the only problem for your VTEC engagement just a posiblilty
Old 09-08-2005, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: i want my vtec ... help!!! (JDM00EM1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM00EM1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

vtec= variable valve timing and lift electronic control dumbass...... not emissions..</TD></TR></TABLE>
Dont know why I am cracking up over this
Old 09-08-2005, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: i want my vtec ... help!!! (SkAnK_aSS_BRyAn)

Jesus Christ I'm the dumbest person alive, sorry I got one word wrong from your sacred VTEC definition. It deals with a low emissions process which is why VTEC was introduced in the first place. It was for lower emissions back when Honda first introduced it, but I'm sure you all knew that.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:52 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: i want my vtec ... help!!! (rfoster03)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rfoster03 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Jesus Christ I'm the dumbest person alive, sorry I got one word wrong from your sacred VTEC definition. It deals with a low emissions process which is why VTEC was introduced in the first place. It was for lower emissions back when Honda first introduced it, but I'm sure you all knew that.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Stop acting like you know dick about Hondas. You made a stupid and obviously intentional mistake, showing quite clearly that you're still a pathetic noob where it comes to these cars. I don't give a **** that you misinterpreted the VTEC acronym - lots of people do it and lots of people are stupid, so it goes - but the fact that you have the audacity to pretend like the person that corrected you is in the wrong for doing so: that ticks me off. ******* grow up.

For the original poster:

1.) most O2 sensor codes will run you in limp mode and/or disable VTEC for the car's own safety. If the ECU doesn't know how much fuel trim to be running, hitting the high cam wouldn't be very smart now would it?

2.) if you're not running a B-series ECU, you need to get whichever one you are using chipped to recognize the fact that you have two cams and different operating parameters than with the stocker.

3.) run the right parts and fix what's broken and you'll have your 15 second car back. Good choice on that shitbox B16...sike.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:20 PM

Default Re: i want my vtec ... help!!! (Archidictus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">1.) most O2 sensor codes will run you in limp mode and/or disable VTEC for the car's own safety.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Correct me if I am wrong because I am a tech for Lincoln not Honda, but if the car is in limp mode would not the redline be much lower as well?
Old 09-08-2005, 09:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: i want my vtec ... help!!! (JDM-97CX)

hey guys thanks for all your help ... im gettin a sensor Asap and am gonna get my p28 chipped
Old 09-08-2005, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

let us know how it turns out
Old 09-08-2005, 10:07 PM

ya get your p28 chipped to whatever a obd1 b16 is i only know a few obd1 ecus
Old 09-08-2005, 10:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: i want my vtec ... help!!! (JDM-97CX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM-97CX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Correct me if I am wrong because I am a tech for Lincoln not Honda, but if the car is in limp mode would not the redline be much lower as well?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes the car will bog and the redline will be around 5000-6000rpms (right before vtec engagement).
Old 09-09-2005, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: i want my vtec ... help!!! (Archidictus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Stop acting like you know dick about Hondas. You made a stupid and obviously intentional mistake, showing quite clearly that you're still a pathetic noob where it comes to these cars. I don't give a **** that you misinterpreted the VTEC acronym - lots of people do it and lots of people are stupid, so it goes - but the fact that you have the audacity to pretend like the person that corrected you is in the wrong for doing so: that ticks me off. ******* grow up.</TD></TR></TABLE>

First of all I'd just like to say I'm sorry I ruined your day. Its a shame that Honda Tech can't have more people like you. You'd think that for someone with almost 8,000 posts he could learn to keep his ignorant comments to himself. I'm probably being an idiot because I know that you probably knew everything about Hondas before you could even talk. And I'm also guessing you were never a pathetic NooB, who made a mistake. That pisses me off MORON! The fact that since you probably toy with Hondas every minute of you pathetic life, you get the idea that you run Honda-Tech. That ticks me off! Honda Tech is a forum where people make mistakes and people correct them! I just defended myself, that's all. Grow up!

Quick Reply: i want my vtec ... help!!!