Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

I want a damn motor swap :(

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2004, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I want a damn motor swap :(

I'm selling my 94 eg coupe and saving to get a 96-00 ek hatchback. I they are really slow but I like them alot and I would always have a nicer looking car over a faster car anyday. So what I'm getting to here is if I get one what would make it faster the "cheepiest" way. What is the cheepest dohc motor swap and what would it run me... or maby a turbo... what would do with a limited income. ( I don't bling, bling so don't put b18c5 or anything of that nature) THANKS
Old 02-02-2004, 12:54 PM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: I want a damn motor swap :( (jdmjeff)

Another GA guy. Cool.

I say do some searches under "recent" and "archived" topics and try looking up different swaps like B18B, B16A, B18C1, B18C5, H22A, etc. and see how much people paid, what dyno results and 1/4 mile times they got, etc.

Your question is pretty broad and it'd be nearly impossible to have ONE good answer because what's "cheap" to you might not be cheap to another guy, or vice versa.

If it's a DOHC swap you want, then the B18B would be the least expensive. Full true swaps can be had for about $1,800.00-$2,200.00 or so for good condition COMPLETE swaps and they pull pretty good.

My friend just got his B18B swap done in his 1992 CX hatch and it pulls nicely. I have yet to test it against my fiancee's B16A2 swap, but I think the LS engine is a bit slower overall in a dragrace when compared to the B16A.

The LS pulls better in the low and midrange for certain though, and they are great to build N/A or boost.

If you have some more specific questions we can help, but again it's hard to give one good answer so far.
Old 02-02-2004, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

take if from someone who went the DOHC vtec route and stay SOHC. Put a vtec head on that motor and put a turbo on it. BEST BANG FOR YOUR DOLLARS!!!

B series motors are expensive and so are the parts, when you break **** or need something, its costs. Hell, sometimes SOHC guys give their parts away.

IF I could go back, I would never swap the d out for a b and would have just turbo'ed it and built it up good.

Usually you could have gotten the same power out of the d as you did the b with less money. If your goals are low 250-300whp'ish.
just my $.02.
Old 02-02-2004, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I want a damn motor swap :( (B18C5-EH2)

Thanks Tom, next time I go back home from college I was going to stop by and talk to you about your sohc non vtec "sleeper" and asked you what all you did to it and thanks for the reply and the ride in your bad *** b18c5 beast.
Old 02-02-2004, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

woot! good job on going to the EK side
Old 02-02-2004, 12:59 PM
Former Moderator

Default Re: I want a damn motor swap :( (mike1114)

Okay I sense perhaps a B series vs. turbo'd D series topic coming about...

I'll say this:

If you want something 100% O.E reliable then save up for the best swap you can buy and be done with it. I have a Type R swap in one of my hatches and after 3 years of hard driving I've never had one single engine problem.

I know the same could not be said had I boosted a SOHC.

I also have a semi-built SOHC too in my EF and I love it, but I must be honest - it won't be outpulling any good running swap with good drivers. Not YET at least...

Can you build a SOHC for cheaper and outrun some swaps?

Hell yes.

But you'll need to know what you're doing, and if you cannot build an engine yourself it can and will cost MORE to build a SOHC to outrun some swaps.

All I need is a decent cam and my worked head on my D16A6 and I have no doubt that it'll give some B16A and B18B swaps some good runs in a similiar weight chassis.

Take this from someone who has owned a lot of different set-ups...

Old 02-02-2004, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I really want to build a sohc because I hate hearing people always bashing them...
Old 02-02-2004, 01:01 PM
Former Moderator

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdmjeff &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks Tom, next time I go back home from college I was going to stop by and talk to you about your sohc non vtec "sleeper" and asked you what all you did to it and thanks for the reply and the ride in your bad *** b18c5 beast. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Wait who are you then? when did you ride in my silver hatch, and what's your real name? did you come to the shop with some people too?

Sorry I'm shitty with names...lol...We get a lot of people up here and I've given out a lot of rides.

Old 02-02-2004, 01:03 PM
Former Moderator

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdmjeff &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I really want to build a sohc because I hate hearing people always bashing them...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well it can be done and you can surprise the **** out of some swap heads, but again it'll take a pretty solid build up.

I'd say boosting would be the better option though, because dollar-horsepower boost owns N/A when it comes to SOHC stuff.

You could buy a used Greddy turbo kit for $900.00 like my friend did and push 8psi on a stock D all day as long as you have the a/f ratio in check and beat most any N/A SOHC and a lot of i/h/e swaps.
Old 02-02-2004, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Okay I sense perhaps a B series vs. turbo'd D series topic coming about...

I'll say this:

If you want something 100% O.E reliable then save up for the best swap you can buy and be done with it. I have a Type R swap in one of my hatches and after 3 years of hard driving I've never had one single engine problem.

I know the same could not be said had I boosted a SOHC.

I also have a semi-built SOHC too in my EF and I love it, but I must be honest - it won't be outpulling any good running swap with good drivers. Not YET at least...

Can you build a SOHC for cheaper and outrun some swaps?

Hell yes.

But you'll need to know what you're doing, and if you cannot build an engine yourself it can and will cost MORE to build a SOHC to outrun some swaps.

All I need is a decent cam and my worked head on my D16A6 and I have no doubt that it'll give some B16A and B18B swaps some good runs in a similiar weight chassis.

Take this from someone who has owned a lot of different set-ups...

</TD></TR></TABLE>

great info.....couldn't have said it better!!!

depends on the kind of power you are looking for. if you want Power swap it with a mild turbo kit if you want power then stay with the sohc
Honda-Tech Member

My name is Jeff, I came up to your shop about a month and a half ago with philips friend same in his 96 black dx with the slips on it.
Old 02-02-2004, 01:08 PM
Former Moderator

Default Re: (B18bEK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18bEK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">depends on the kind of power you are looking for. if you want Power swap it with a mild turbo kit if you want power then stay with the sohc </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well I agree, but it's all dependant upon one's moneyn situation.

You might be able to afford a swap and then a turbo set-up, etc. but a lot of people cannot.

Old 02-02-2004, 01:09 PM

Default Re: (B18C5-EH2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Well I agree, but it's all dependant upon one's moneyn situation.

You might be able to afford a swap and then a turbo set-up, etc. but a lot of people cannot.

</TD></TR></TABLE>
well you're right, and not everyone gets a swap and turbo kit at the same time ... most people do the swap, then save for the turbo. i just happen to be blessed with both at once and he didn't say he wanted it all done Tomorrow!
Old 02-02-2004, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, I really don't want to take out a loan to do a swap so that is why I would stick with the sohc or go with the cheepiest dohc swap and be done with it.
Old 02-02-2004, 01:11 PM

you could stick with sohc if you wanna save money... but you should go for dohc. b16a....b18b...b18c1 b18c5...
Old 02-02-2004, 01:12 PM

Default Re: (jdmjeff)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdmjeff &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah, I really don't want to take out a loan to do a swap so that is why I would stick with the sohc or go with the cheepiest dohc swap and be done with it.</TD></TR></TABLE>
a loan?!? thats what savings accounts are for. b18b swaps can be had for cheap .. like $1200 if you hold out for a good deal
Old 02-02-2004, 01:15 PM

I know this is O.T. but where is your shop and what is it's name? What city S. of ATL?
Old 02-02-2004, 01:51 PM
Former Moderator

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18bEK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
a loan?!? thats what savings accounts are for. b18b swaps can be had for cheap .. like $1200 if you hold out for a good deal </TD></TR></TABLE>

Dude please stop.

not everyone can afford swaps as easy as you - period.

Hell not everyone even WANTS to put themselves in a financial bind just to get a swap.

I used to preach the same **** about "just go all out and buy a bad-*** swap" etc. but then I realized that not everyone wants to be car poor, or some people simply cannot afford to have the "best" swaps.
Old 02-02-2004, 01:53 PM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18bEK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">depends on the kind of power you are looking for. if you want Power swap it with a mild turbo kit if you want power then stay with the sohc </TD></TR></TABLE>

Nice title
Old 02-02-2004, 01:58 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Dude please stop.

Hell not everyone even WANTS to put themselves in a financial bind just to get a swap.

I used to preach the same **** about "just go all out and buy a bad-*** swap" etc. but then I realized that not everyone wants to be car poor, or some people simply cannot afford to have the "best" swaps.</TD></TR></TABLE>
i'm not telling him to get the swap. i told him the difference in Powerand power. and the savings account .. if you really are set on a swap, start a small savings account rather than going into debt to buy the damn thing. its not that important as for being car poor, i would be ashamed to be car poor and only drive a civic
Old 02-02-2004, 01:59 PM

Default Re: (BauleyCivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BauleyCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Nice title </TD></TR></TABLE>
thanks! i love it too. B18C5-EH2 is my hero
Old 02-02-2004, 02:11 PM

isa y just put it to him plain and simple, a sohc w/ NEVER NEVER have the potential of a B-series motor, just not happening, although both can make a fast car, it all is just gonna come down to your needs and funding, end of story
Old 02-02-2004, 02:17 PM

Dude please stop.

I used to preach the same **** about "just go all out and buy a bad-*** swap" etc. but then I realized that not everyone wants to be car poor, or some people simply cannot afford to have the "best" swaps.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree with B18EK on the saving part. You don't NEED a swap. You can always save up and get whatever swap you want. It is not a life and death situation where this is a last minute decision. If you want a certain motor, save up and get it, don't settle for less than what you want. It is not B18EK's fault that this guy cannot afford a swap or even have the intelligence to save up for one.
Old 02-02-2004, 02:19 PM

Default Re: (SleepnCiViC)

Nitrous is the best bang for your buck IMO, but a lot of people dont like it. Oh well. You could buy a nitrous kit for 300-400 and have a safe 50 horse power (with proper fuel and tuning). And you only have to use it when you want to go fast. Then when you are sick of Nitrous you can take it off your car and sell it for the same price you bought it for. woooweee.

Quick Reply: I want a damn motor swap :(