Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

I want to conver my automatic 99 civic ex to manual sawp..but i have questions that are not getting

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 01:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I want to conver my automatic 99 civic ex to manual sawp..but i have questions that are not getting

i just wanna know if the car will run the same when i do this tranny swap?

is there a downside to doing this swap?

has anyone reading this post ever know someone who has done a swap like this? if so how did the car run after you converted ur ride to manual???
Old 10-12-2007, 03:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: I want to conver my automatic 99 civic ex to manual sawp..but i have questions that are not gett

The car will perform (accelerate) better with a manual transmission as opposed to the automatic.

No downside, just takes a little bit of time and patience

Use the red "search" button in the top right hand corner...I know there's a write-up for EG's, not sure about EK's though

EDIT: I got back to the '92-'00 section and saw this...this should answer your questions and then some

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/1337459
Old 10-12-2007, 06:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: I want to conver my automatic 99 civic ex to manual sawp..but i have questions that are not gett

Ive done my fair share of auto to manuals (shoot thats my thread thats posted there) And i will tell you this. If you do it right you will have no problems with your car whats so ever. If you mickey mouse it then of course problems will accure.

The very very very first swap auto to manual i did for someone the car ended up driving to Vegas (i drove it) live in Vegas for about a year then was driving to Wiscousin to live another year before the owner sold it. Only problem he ever had was buying a busted transmission but other then that no problems whats so ever. People that tell you it wont drive the same are people that done know what there doing (some shops included).
Old 10-12-2007, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^Everytime I hear about auto to manual swaps your name comes up, so you must be somewhat knowledgeable ^

I've got a question for you, I did an auto to manual swap in my '94 Civic DX about a year ago (no problems so far).

The one thing I didn't do was change out the brake pedals (I had the manual brake pedal, but the steering column got in the way, so I just kept the auto brake pedal and took a welding torch to the clutch, heated it up, and moved it to the left to give me a bit of lee-way between the brake and the clutch).

Do you think this would work?

I was planning on buying the manual brake pedal cover from Honda, measure it out, and then cut/heat up/bend the pedals to be as close to a true manual Honda as possible.

Yay or nay?
Old 10-12-2007, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well if you had this going for a year i dont see why it would give out now. But personally i wouldnt do it, i would just take out the pedals. True the steering column gets in the way but with it all the way down to the floor and enough cursing it will come out. I dont really trust the heating and replacing of the foot pedal. You would actually need to cut and weld. It seems like a little to much work over a good old yelling of your favorite curse words Downside however since your 92-95 you will need the manual throttle cable when you go to the manual pedals.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:19 AM

You can simply take the bolt that the brake pedal itself pivots on out and take just the pedal out and swap it with the other. That is what I did and it saves alot of trouble
Old 10-12-2007, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Make sure you get a manual ECU also.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LuserKid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well if you had this going for a year i dont see why it would give out now. But personally i wouldnt do it, i would just take out the pedals. True the steering column gets in the way but with it all the way down to the floor and enough cursing it will come out. I dont really trust the heating and replacing of the foot pedal. You would actually need to cut and weld. It seems like a little to much work over a good old yelling of your favorite curse words Downside however since your 92-95 you will need the manual throttle cable when you go to the manual pedals. </TD></TR></TABLE>

It's not that the "giving out" thing that I'm worried about...it's the monstrous brake pedal that sticks out like a sore thumb, lol.

The cutting and welding isn't an issue...I work at an import auto repair shop and have access to pretty much any tool (including cutting/welding torches). Sooner or later I'll do something about it I'm sure.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ive done my fair share of auto to manuals (shoot thats my thread thats posted there) And i will tell you this. If you do it right you will have no problems with your car whats so ever. If you mickey mouse it then of course problems will accure.

The very very very first swap auto to manual i did for someone the car ended up driving to Vegas (i drove it) live in Vegas for about a year then was driving to Wiscousin to live another year before the owner sold it. Only problem he ever had was buying a busted transmission but other then that no problems whats so ever. People that tell you it wont drive the same are people that done know what there doing (some shops included). </TD></TR></TABLE>

victor is the man to go to he did my 99 ex auto to man swap and motor swap at the same time havent had a single problem with it, honda and acura have worked on my car and are amazed at the work that victor did victor ='s !!
Old 11-01-2007, 01:51 AM

thanx! i think ima go with victor 4 my auto to manual
Old 11-01-2007, 05:37 AM

i did a auto to manual swap just by using that link. my very first time and only took a while because i was waiting on parts.
make sure if your keeping the motor, take the extra step in getting new parts so you wont have to tear it down a second time.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xSKEETx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanx! i think ima go with victor 4 my auto to manual</TD></TR></TABLE>

Good/Wise choice.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I did my auto-manual swap and it runs the same as it did before. Performance wise, the auto doesnt even compare with the manual.. Also make sure to get an ex trans

Old 11-02-2007, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't heat/bend it. If you have the option of replacing the pedal with one that will fit properly then don't even cut/weld it, just get the appropriate one. You can weaken or embrittle the metal doing either of those. I don't know if the pedal is under enough stress where this will matter but if it is, you will break the pedal which nearly guarantees an accident.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (xunsungheroesx)

My car is currently an automatic as well.

How much does it normally cost to get this conversion done?
Old 12-13-2007, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (PrimeElement)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PrimeElement &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
How much does it normally cost to get this conversion done?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Totally depends on your location and shops. Labor look at anywhere from 600-1200 depending on shop. Parts anywhere from 600-3000 depending on the type of transmission you want.