Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

I wanna move my ecu to trunk 1995 civic ex???!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I wanna move my ecu to trunk 1995 civic ex???!!

hey I found a civic with a mount in the trunk for a computer I guess its for the ABS? cause its a honda civic sedan 1995 but I thought it would be different to move my ecu back their and put it in the bracket and it hides from the carpet covering it...so I was thinking about mounting the ecu back their in the bracket by just making the harness longer by splicing wires...GOOD IDEA??? think making wires longer will mess up voltage to components??? and what is that computer and bracket for in the trunk in a 1995 ex sedan (I could be wrong on the model)??? hope you got good answers thanx
Old 09-08-2008, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I wanna move my ecu to trunk 1995 civic ex???!! (x1xofakindx)

honestly i dont think its a good ides... just leave it where it is...right under the dash is where its supposed to be mounted so leave it...if you try to re locate it you have to extend the wires and to be honest, i dont see any positives coming out of it....IMO leave it
Old 09-08-2008, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I wanna move my ecu to trunk 1995 civic ex???!! (vtecb18c)

why the hell would you do that.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:25 PM

Default Re: I wanna move my ecu to trunk 1995 civic ex???!! (alphalanos)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by alphalanos &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why the hell would you do that.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I know there may be a mount back there but why would you want to do that other than to "be different"?
Old 09-08-2008, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just because there is an empty bracket doesn't mean you should attach something to it. Using that same logic, my car key fits into an electrical socket but that doesn't mean I should stick it in there.

Think of all those wires to extend, plus route under the carpet/seats, plus troubleshoot WHEN (not if) something goes wrong. And for what? There is no performance gained plus your kickpanel covers the ECU anyway so you're not even getting an aesthetic benefit.

If you do decide to do it, at least solder the wires instead of using butt connectors
Old 09-08-2008, 06:55 PM
Painfully Stupid

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: I wanna move my ecu to trunk 1995 civic ex???!! (honda_joe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by honda_joe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Using that same logic, my car key fits into an electrical socket but that doesn't mean I should stick it in there.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Lmfao.

Don't relocate your ECU. It's a stupid idea.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by -PaulMc-

Lmfao.

Don't relocate your ECU. It's a stupid idea.
Originally Posted by honda_joe
Just because there is an empty bracket doesn't mean you should attach something to it. Using that same logic, my car key fits into an electrical socket but that doesn't mean I should stick it in there.

Think of all those wires to extend, plus route under the carpet/seats, plus troubleshoot WHEN (not if) something goes wrong. And for what? There is no performance gained plus your kickpanel covers the ECU anyway so you're not even getting an aesthetic benefit.

If you do decide to do it, at least solder the wires instead of using butt connectors
Originally Posted by JShull

I know there may be a mount back there but why would you want to do that other than to "be different"?
Originally Posted by alphalanos
why the hell would you do that.
Originally Posted by vtecb18c
honestly i dont think its a good ides... just leave it where it is...right under the dash is where its supposed to be mounted so leave it...if you try to re locate it you have to extend the wires and to be honest, i dont see any positives coming out of it....IMO leave it

Well, thanks for the replies?? but let me defend myself one Car thieves I would like it to be someplace where it could be somewhere not originally located... I really get annoyed having to remove a kick plate everytime to take it out and remove nuts and bolts...I have had my acura and Honda civic before broken into and my nice Red Honda stolen and stripped and I have a special vendetta to have this same red civic almost impossible to steal AGAIN...I am still angry especially when it was my vehicle I bought from IRAQ and almost died for, anyone heard of manchester NH or Lawrence MA...yeah its crazy for thieves, plus It is simpler to just take it out at night...,two it probably wouldnt be sooo stupid if it was sooo technical and something so nerve racking as the ECU so thats why I asked for imput but I am sure it probably wont do no harm moving it...I use to be an electrician so I have an understanding of electricity but I have not done it in a few years...I dont understand how no one has seen no positives in it yet? If someone has an idea dont call it stupid right away...I have more logic than to just move a computer just cause there is a bracket...plus I think it is cool to have my ecu in the trunk cause I can say I did that and it was creative but of course I aint stupid enough to not think of the consequences....If I move my ECU and it is in my trunk and my car is still running perfect I will post a pic and be like I moved my computer and wasnt afraid haha...but thanks and I will always strive to think outta the box and not be bound by my fears but yall have reason to laugh cause if it does go wrong every one can be like haha stupid I told ya so but if it is well within thine heart maybe I could try...dont use the curiosity kill the cat line cause I got u covered...It is kind of the same question why does a man climb Mount Everest?? cause He has a heart and desire too...thanx any deeper technical advice would be cool
Old 09-08-2008, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I wanna move my ecu to trunk 1995 civic ex???!! (honda_joe)

soldering is the way to go thanx JOE
Old 09-08-2008, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i say contact rywire and see if they would be willing to make an extension harness for you. one that plugs from the under dash harness to the ecu that will go the distance :D
Old 09-08-2008, 09:37 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I seriously can't see any good reason to put the ECU in the trunk, also some of the wires going to the ECU are shielded, you might end up with some crosstalk issues there, not sure. I'm not sure what your issue with the kick panel is, if your that annoyed with having to remove the kick panel and 4 bolts to take the ECU out, you're either taking it out too often or you get annoyed to easily. If you're removing it so it doesn't get stolen just let lay on the floor or something, even put it in the stock location and don't put the bolts in it, just slide the kick panel over it. Or tape a bunch of razor blades to the back of it.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:29 PM

If you take it out like you said the best suggestion was to just let it lay in the floor and pull it when you go in. Why not invest in lojack before you relocate the ecu? Heck, why not just install an alarm system as well?

I know you want to move it but there are much better options out there to keep your car from getting stolen, etc. Either way. Good luck with it.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JShull)

yeah thanx for the ideas and well I did use to lie it down but stupid people would always be lazy and be kickin it...it never messed up anything but I dont like the idea of it being there plus if u notice it can get corroded especially during the winter when u cant help but get snow in the car but...I definitly aint just looking for ways to move it there yeah I dont think I have heard of a problem from people with there ecus down there but I do feel more comfortable with it in the trunk...but I dont know I will definitly see if it may be possible I guess I would have to talk to a Honda dealership if I wanna go that far...and yeah lowjack I have heard of it does it cost money every year and how does it work?? and I did have an alarm system and they still stole it and it was one with a back up battery too and sry my family is dumb and poor so I always gotta figure or learn things out for myself or from others thanx again and anymore help is cool
Old 09-11-2008, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (x1xofakindx)

The wires would be extended alot. ALOT! Wouldn't extending the wires that much cause changes in resistance and possibly throw off most, if not all sensors?

Don't relocate. Install a kill switch or something instead.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:44 PM
Painfully Stupid

Default Re: (sageuvagony)

Why don't you just buy a hardcore alarm system for it? Like GPS equipped or something?
Old 09-11-2008, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

GPS ones are cool because they track where the car goes
Old 09-11-2008, 07:23 PM
Painfully Stupid

Default Re: I wanna move my ecu to trunk 1995 civic ex???!! (N20civicB18)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by N20civicB18 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">GPS ones are cool because they track where the car goes </TD></TR></TABLE>

Point is..if someone is breaking into the car, you can know exactly where they're trying to get into it..