Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

I wanna make my 98 civic ex better

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I wanna make my 98 civic ex better

I don't know much about hondas..or cars in general, but souping up cars is somethign I find interesting. I have a 98 honda civic ex coupe. I wanna add more HP, and put an exhaust on it for starters. If anyone could tell me which chip is best for HP and a little torque, and also a good racing exhaust that would be great.
Old 09-17-2006, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I wanna make my 98 civic ex better (skins39)

Is your car auto? If so, just leave it stock.

But if you want power and its a 5 spd, research turbo. Spend enless hours in the fi forum. Get a nice 2.5 exhaust, nothing off eBay for $100, don't be stupid. Buy quality parts, dont be a ricer with a body kit. You will regret it. There is no magic racing chip that will give you power. The only thing you can do is convert to obd1 and get a p28 that is chipped and take it to a dyno. Or talk to member mtber on here he can get you set-up.

Have fun
Old 09-17-2006, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

First off welcome to H-T, Most people here started off with an intake/exhaust combo to give a little pep. My suggestion is to just use the search button...everyone here has different ideas about everything, so do the research and find something that works for you in your budget. Good luck!
Old 09-17-2006, 08:07 PM

Default Re: I wanna make my 98 civic ex better (cambopheonix56)

Yeha its a 5 speed, problem is it doesnt have a vtech in it. I forget the engine inside of it, and Im nto gonan check tonight, its the next best up tho. its got 108k on it which is nothing I know, but is thsi worth souping up, and puttign a few hundred into. I cant afford another car right now,a nd I wanan race it eventually if possible!
Old 09-17-2006, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

drop it and get an exhaust... dont do ebay coils... they are bouncy, get some blues wit neuspeed or eibach or h&r springs... get a 2 1/2" exhaust and then save for a turbo kit ... i m h o...
Old 09-17-2006, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (gottalovethe4door)

if its an ex than its vtec......... unless some took out the engine
Old 09-17-2006, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (gottalovethe4door)

it probally has vtec if its an ex. check the engine code near the headers, if its a d16y8 like mine, your in the magical land of vtec.
Old 09-17-2006, 08:49 PM

Default Re: (divisionskate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by divisionskate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it probally has vtec if its an ex. check the engine code near the headers, if its a d16y8 like mine, your in the magical land of vtec.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 09-17-2006, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

don't waste your money on an exhaust, save for a swap.
Old 09-17-2006, 10:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

https://honda-tech.com/zerosearch
Old 09-17-2006, 10:34 PM

Default Re: I wanna make my 98 civic ex better (confucioussae)

exuast then turbo,keep it Dseries!
Old 09-17-2006, 11:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not all ex's have vtec. Some of them make the same power as the Y8 but are vtecless.
Old 09-17-2006, 11:19 PM

Default Re: (ek gripper)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek gripper &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Not all ex's have vtec. Some of them make the same power as the Y8 but are vtecless.</TD></TR></TABLE>

...Are you sure you know what you're talking about? All EX's came with a VTEC D16
Old 09-17-2006, 11:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek gripper &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Not all ex's have vtec. Some of them make the same power as the Y8 but are vtecless.</TD></TR></TABLE>

How ignorant. You do realize they are sohc vtec motors right? The fact vtec is weak in these motors has nothing to do wether or not they are vtec or not.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (fast95eg8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fast95eg8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

How ignorant. You do realize they are sohc vtec motors right? The fact vtec is weak in these motors has nothing to do wether or not they are vtec or not. </TD></TR></TABLE>

You're an idiot. I said nothing about vtec being weak. Your post is completely irrelevant to mine, how ignorant.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ziich2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

...Are you sure you know what you're talking about? All EX's came with a VTEC D16</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well a friend of mine had either a 97 or 98 ex sedan. Non vtec. I'm pretty sure that she bought the car with very low mileage and i know while she had the car, hadn't had the motor or head swapped. Maybe someone changed something out before she got the car, but i dont see why that wouldve been necessary. Car was in nice shape (till she started bangin it up) and seemed well maintained. But she had a non vtec ex.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just cause the valve cover doesnt say 'vtec' doesnt meant that its not vtec. d16y8s do not say 'vtec' on the valve covers.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (niccuhles)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by niccuhles &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just cause the valve cover doesnt say 'vtec' doesnt meant that its not vtec. d16y8s do not say 'vtec' on the valve covers.</TD></TR></TABLE>

u beat me to it. if the plugs are in the front then its vtec if in back no vtec.

Old 09-18-2006, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow, its been a long time since i've heard someone use the term "souping up"
Old 09-18-2006, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sohctodohc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sohctodohc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

u beat me to it. if the plugs are in the front then its vtec if in back no vtec.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

huh?someone post pics of non-vtec and vtec.GAWWWWW
Old 09-18-2006, 01:54 PM

Default Re: (sohctodohc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sohctodohc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

</TD></TR></TABLE>

only on older models. EK's all had the plugs up front, vtec or no.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (niccuhles)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by niccuhles &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just cause the valve cover doesnt say 'vtec' doesnt meant that its not vtec. d16y8s do not say 'vtec' on the valve covers.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hahaha holy **** i know that. I didn't just base that on the valve cover FYI. There was no vtec solenoid.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You should get some decent lowering springs and shocks and some new wheels before you worry about an exhaust. Exhaust is a good mod but I always hate when I hear a car coming with a nice sounding exhaust and look to see it's the only thing done on the car. Suspension and OEM alloy wheels however are a nice subtle way to start and look great. If you really want to do an engine mod to start, get a short ram intake.
Old 09-19-2006, 12:07 AM

Default Re: (JimDCXC)

again welcome to HT

we are sitting on the same car, i would recommed getting suspension done first before anything. ground control is a good company, throw some koni yellows in there also.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by skins39 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">but is thsi worth souping up, and puttign a few hundred into. I cant afford another car right now</TD></TR></TABLE>

no one can tell you if its worth putting money into, also a few hundred dollars isnt going to get you far, if it were me i would save till you have a good 1k or so, just so you dont have to max that CC but that is just me.

have fun and good luck

cheers
Old 09-19-2006, 04:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Land of the Hillbillies and Shotguns, Ontario, Canada
Default Re: (subtleamuzement)

Welcome to HT!!!!

Firsat off get your vehicle lowered using quality race-proven springs such as Eibach, H&R,Nuspeed. While you do that, add struts. The best struts I've heard are Tokiko white Illumna. Stiffen up with a 4-piece strut bar combo.

Engine compartment, first off give it a healthy tune-up, make sure timing belt is done then start modifying it. Start off with a Short-ram intake.

Wheels try OEM they're fotment is mostly good asd well as offset etc. And they look alot better than most aftermarket. Exhaust I'd keep stock honestly unless you will turbo it.

do not change your headlights, the aftermarket ones do not have adjustment. Do not DIY the headlights CTR style you may loose some side angle lighting also keep it OEM. Replace the tailights with 2000 red and white tails OEM
Old 09-19-2006, 04:28 AM

motor swap first off... stock D series are hard to squeeze power out of unless going turbo or rebuild completely.

I/H/E is a must

what kind of exhaust do u have?

Quick Reply: I wanna make my 98 civic ex better