Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

I think t/b got stuck open last night, wanna see what you guys think??

Old 12-25-2004, 02:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I think t/b got stuck open last night, wanna see what you guys think??

Last night it was like 20 degrees here (don't know if that played a factor in this or not). But when I pressed the gas to the floor (WOT) then let off quickly, in neutral, the engine would not stop revving. The engine would then hit the rev limiter (b16 w/ p30, in a 94 CX HB), once or twice before I would either try hitting the gas again, it would fall by itself or i would cut the motor. This happened four times (two of which were trying to figure out the problem).

This morning I checked it out, one because my engine hit the rev limiter a couple times (everything sounds good and engine pulls fine...thank god), and two to see what was causing the engine/ t/b to do this. I tried duplicating it this morning with engine off and running and t/b didn't seem to stick at all. And even driving i couldn't do it.

I figured it was the t/b sticking open. But what else could it have been? I don't see the IAC or vaccuum leak having anything to do with it as it would not let enough air thought to get to redline.

Any thoughts are much appreciated. TIA
Old 12-25-2004, 06:23 PM

Default Re: I think t/b got stuck open last night, wanna see what you guys think?? (preludeserge)

Hey thanks for the help. But the t/b cable is a new ITR t/b cable, so i don't think thats the problem. But i will look into that.

Anyother ideas for what the problem is would be great. TIA
Old 12-25-2004, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: I think t/b got stuck open last night, wanna see what you guys think?? (turboxsi)

are you throwing any codes? for me thats what my car started doing before my IACV went out in my old car.
Old 12-26-2004, 06:43 AM

Default Re: I think t/b got stuck open last night, wanna see what you guys think?? (Chris M)

No i am not throwing any CEL's. As that was the first thing i checked yesterday morning. I "jumped" the ecu, and no codes were stored.

I'm pretty sure it was the t/b getting stuck open. How? I still have to figure out. Plus i don't think a bad IACV would be able to let through enough air to allow the engine to quickly rev to 8k+ bouncing off the rev limiter.

Any other thoughts on this guys?? Thanks for the suggestions so far.
Old 12-26-2004, 07:06 AM

Are the coolant lines still connected to throttle body?
Old 12-26-2004, 07:16 AM

Default Re: (jlacoy82)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jlacoy82 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Are the coolant lines still connected to throttle body?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes the coolant lines are hooked up to the t/b, correctly (i have an ITR intake manifold so the FITV is not used anymore). But i do have a 95 gsr t/b with the FITV attached to the t/b itself (because my cold start sucks), and i'm waiting to get it bored out and cleaned up, then i going to put it on (the stock 1st gen b16 t/b is small).

Thanks for the responses. Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Old 12-26-2004, 07:18 AM
Bloody Beaver

Default Re: (turboxsi)

My friends B16 did that once, because the throttle cable pulley got stuck on the strut bar, made for an interesting ride
Old 12-26-2004, 09:42 AM

Default Re: (Beaver EJ1)

Yeah i think i fixed it today. There was some build up on the cable by the throttle rotor, so i cleaned it up. But even before i cleaned it today i couldn't duplicate the problem, wierd.

Yeah it definitly makes the ride interesting. And i have to wonder if my strut bar (skunk 2) had any play in this.....?

Thanks for the response. Anyone else??
Old 12-26-2004, 12:29 PM

Default Re: I think t/b got stuck open last night, wanna see what you guys think?? (turboxsi)

bump
Old 12-26-2004, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Had this happen to me before as well. Sounds stupid, but check to see if your floormat has moved any. Mine caught the edge of my pedal and caused me to bounce off the rev limiter more than once.
Old 12-26-2004, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I think t/b got stuck open last night, wanna see what you guys think?? (Ricey McRicerton)

stock tb? i know the old edlebrock tb's had a problem with sticking but it was fixed.
Old 12-26-2004, 04:56 PM

Default Re: I think t/b got stuck open last night, wanna see what you guys think?? (8krdline)

it wouldnt be just the butterfly staying open would it? the cable would have had to have been stuck or too loose
Old 12-26-2004, 05:26 PM

Default Re: I think t/b got stuck open last night, wanna see what you guys think?? (99hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 99hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it wouldnt be just the butterfly staying open would it? the cable would have had to have been stuck or too loose</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't think so the throttle spring is pretty strong, and snaps that **** shut I had my girlfriend floor the gas then let go and it is closing properly (engine off though). But if it is stock b16 (1st gen so its old) t/b plate sticking, i will be putting on a gsr t/b i have laying around, so hopefully that will help. Thanks for the help.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 8krdline &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">stock tb? i know the old edlebrock tb's had a problem with sticking but it was fixed.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes it is stock as stated above. But i did hear about the edlebrock. Thanks for the suggestion.

Any other help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
Old 12-26-2004, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Are you going to the rev limit on a cold engine?
Old 12-26-2004, 10:24 PM

Default Re: I think t/b got stuck open last night, wanna see what you guys think?? (Falqon)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Falqon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Are you going to the rev limit on a cold engine?</TD></TR></TABLE>

NO!! It happened on a completely warmed up engine. And testing on t/b was with engine off.
Old 12-27-2004, 03:22 AM

morning bump