Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

I think I'm stupid and fuked my car up... lol

Old 05-23-2010, 10:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think I'm stupid and fuked my car up... lol

So as in the title of this post, i think I'm retarded and ****ed up my car... anyways, so I'm having a lot of probs with the IACV... for some reason the cars idle keeps fluxing and it idled about 1100 which is way too high... so i took it out and changed it out with a newer one but when I took out the valve, water poured out of the two tubes on the bottom, at least I thought it was water... it didnt have a smell... I don't know if thats normal or not but anyways... so I put the other one in and it ran like new... idled at about 650 to 700 then about ten mins later it jumped back up to 1000... and i was like wtf!! so i thought maybe some residue was in the small hoses under the iacv and got it dirty again because when i cleaned the old one, i left the hoses connected to the valve cuz i couldnt break them free... so i took the iacv out again and it dripped the water again... so then out of my idiocy i sprayed carb cleaner in the 2 hoses thinking it would clean them out lmao... and i let the car sit for about 2 hours and put back in the valve and alas! a CEL car idles warm at about 1500 and most of the time its fluxing up and down, I tried to jumper it to check the code and it doesnt even come up with a code, I think I just ****ed something up but I'm not sure, someone let me know whats going on and how much of an idiot i am.

thanks!
Old 05-23-2010, 10:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: I think I'm stupid and fuked my car up... lol

as long as the car didn't overheat then you've done no damage. that's not water coming out of those hoses (or atleast it shouldn't be), it's coolant. i don't understand why you would spray brake cleaner down those hoses.. but for future reference, don't do that lol.

you've had the iacv off many times now so i highly recommend replacing the seal between it and the intake manifold. it looks like an 8. they get old, brittle, and don't seal as well.

after that reinstall the iacv and connect the hoses appropriately. then remove the radiator cap and start the car with the heat on full blast. let it warm up and watch for air pockets to pass. add coolant as necessary. wait for the cars radiator fan to cycle twice, then reinstall the radiator cap and you should be good to go.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That will get rid of the flux idle, and the CEL? yeah I don't know why I would do that either... lol, and can I get a replacement seal from any auto store?
Old 05-23-2010, 10:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its a dealer only item. still cheap though. $4 i believe it was. and yes it will likely fix your fluctuating idle.