Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

I think I got an oil problem...

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 06:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think I got an oil problem...

I see oil all around the timing belt side of the valve cover, on both sides of the engine. I think I need a new vavle cover gasket. Easy to replace? Its like a 8 dollar part, so I hope thats it. Its a d16y7 btw.
Old 01-27-2006, 06:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: I think I got an oil problem... (civicEXtreme)

at the same time you could change all the seals too since you are there.
Old 01-27-2006, 06:58 AM

how much would a full valve cover gasket set cost?
Old 01-27-2006, 08:30 AM

ok... got the gasket, first problem, Removing spark plug wires, first three come out pefect, the one closest to the dizzy, breaks. Gets stuck in there, I eventually wiggled it out with needle nosers. No problem, just need new wires. So I get the valve cover off, all is going well... I installed the gasket right and good. Go to reinstall the cover. I ended up breaking the top right bolt, Its threaded right into the head, and just broke off, and Idea's on how I could fix this? I know I can drill it out, but that would make tons of metal shaving leaving tons to clean up, in the head and such.

Right now my baby is sitting helpless in my driveway... Please some one offer advice.

Modified by civicEXtreme at 9:41 AM 1/27/2006
Old 01-27-2006, 08:44 AM

do you leak alot or just a lil?
Old 01-27-2006, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (civicEXtreme)

There is a way that you and tap into that screw with a special bit for a drill. Once it taps in you can just unscrew the broken bolt. There was a post on here about getting an exhaust mani bolt out. Search for it and youll see the bit that Im talking about. Good luck bro
Old 01-27-2006, 09:50 AM

wow... funny to see what people right. dont drill into your aluminum head. you need a professtional to do that. put the head back on and make sure u torque them all down in the right order... take off the rocker arms and get to the cam shaft. take out the cam shaft and replace the cam seal... while your in the head and u have the rocker arms out u can also replace the valve stem seals... oil leaking will still be bad but u have to send that car out to get that out
Old 01-27-2006, 10:36 AM

Default Re: (blac91crx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blac91crx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wow... funny to see what people right. dont drill into your aluminum head. you need a professtional to do that. put the head back on and make sure u torque them all down in the right order... take off the rocker arms and get to the cam shaft. take out the cam shaft and replace the cam seal... while your in the head and u have the rocker arms out u can also replace the valve stem seals... oil leaking will still be bad but u have to send that car out to get that out</TD></TR></TABLE>

What the expletive are you smoking?!
Old 01-27-2006, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (civicEXtreme)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blac91crx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wow... funny to see what people right. dont drill into your aluminum head. you need a professtional to do that. put the head back on and make sure u torque them all down in the right order... take off the rocker arms and get to the cam shaft. take out the cam shaft and replace the cam seal... while your in the head and u have the rocker arms out u can also replace the valve stem seals... oil leaking will still be bad but u have to send that car out to get that out</TD></TR></TABLE>
For a valve cover gasket? Are you outta your mind?

The screw is easy to get out, you don't need to take it to a proffessional. I did the SAME thing, and it's very easy. Take a safety pin, pull it out so that you can use the needle. Take the valve cover back off, and you'll see the screw. Use the pin to go around in a counterclockwise direction. It'll take some time but you'll see that the pin will grab onto pieces of metal and slowly twist the piece out. It's EXACTLY what the mechanic will do when you take it to the shop, no special drill bits needed.

And then when you put the valve cover back on, the torque specs on a valve cover bolt is I think 7lbs.
Old 01-27-2006, 08:39 PM

Default Re: (SovXietday)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SovXietday &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
And then when you put the valve cover back on, the torque specs on a valve cover bolt is I think 7lbs. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I also heard when tightening to spec they seem to snap as well. But I will try your method, if its a clean break, then I will need the tapping set.
Old 01-29-2006, 03:00 PM

Default Re: (SovXietday)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SovXietday &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">For a valve cover gasket? Are you outta your mind?

The screw is easy to get out, you don't need to take it to a proffessional. I did the SAME thing, and it's very easy. Take a safety pin, pull it out so that you can use the needle. Take the valve cover back off, and you'll see the screw. Use the pin to go around in a counterclockwise direction. It'll take some time but you'll see that the pin will grab onto pieces of metal and slowly twist the piece out. It's EXACTLY what the mechanic will do when you take it to the shop, no special drill bits needed.

And then when you put the valve cover back on, the torque specs on a valve cover bolt is I think 7lbs. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for the idea man! It worked! Well... not really with the pin, but with a nail and hammer. Good thing my neighbor is a mechanic and a great guy.