Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

I think I blew My Engine Help!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 08:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think I blew My Engine Help!!!!!!!!!

I gave you guys the good new that my turbo project finally got up and running. Well bad news. I either blow a head Gasket or have two bad pistons. I was driving my car after all the ignition problems were solved with a change for the Accel super coil to the MSD ss blaster. I drove the car around for about 60-75 miles and on the way home I ran my cousins Srt-4 with 280hp and 290ftlbs and hung right with on the first run. It with down hill from there.

First off oil started coming out of my valve cover weremy breather filter is. Then we I pulled of I saw a lot of White blueish smoke. So we drove the car home 2 miles. Have a compression check and here is the results
Cranking 1: 140psi 2: 190psi 3: 190psi 4: 113psi Running 1: 85psi 2: 90psi 3: 95psi 4: 80psi.

Some of my friends say they think it just a head gasket. I haven't drop the oil yet to see if there is any metal in the pan. I thing the white smoke is from the turbo my downpipe has little cracks in it and I see oil bubbling out it smokes after the car is warmed up about 3-5 min but not when i first start it. Which leads my to think that the smoke is the byproduct of oil in the exhaust.

There is some knocking, or ticking but if I rev the engine it get quieter not louder like connecting rod noise and it totally goes away when the oil temp gets up. Crazy right, I know.

Does someone have a clue
Old 10-06-2005, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: I think I blew My Engine Help!!!!!!!!! (1badEk9)

Headgaskets wont give you bad compression numbers. Way to go
Old 10-06-2005, 08:29 AM
H-T White Ops

My money's on cracked but not all the way busted ring lands. If that makes any sense.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: I think I blew My Engine Help!!!!!!!!! (Luserkid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Headgaskets wont give you bad compression numbers. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Are you ******* kidding me? If the head gasket does not seal then air is forced out during the compression stroke. I really hope you don't actually believe what you just said.

You don't have two bad pistons. You most likely blew hte head gasket, but just to make sure the rings are good perform a wet compression test.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I think I blew My Engine Help!!!!!!!!! (JDM-97CX)

perform a compression test.
most likely you blew the rings though.
same **** happen to me 2 weeks ago with my boosted gsr (10psi) on stock block.
it was shooting oil off of the head(vacuum line) also smoking, and i just ordered all my internals and gonna rebuild the whole thing!!
good luck man.. time to spend some of that extra cheese..
i am guessing all of my 4 rings are toasted because i for some reason wanted to see where i top it out and took it all the way up to 8000 in 5th gear!
that's mad v-tec man.. lol
anywyas..

my money is on the ringland!!
Old 10-06-2005, 08:45 AM

Default Re: I think I blew My Engine Help!!!!!!!!! (92eh3si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92eh3si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">perform a compression test.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you knew how to read you would know that he allready did that.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92eh3si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i am guessing all of my 4 rings are toasted </TD></TR></TABLE>

All four of you rings huh? Wow, you really have no idea do you?
Old 10-06-2005, 08:47 AM
tdo
Honda-Tech Member

take off the radiator cap and see if theres bubbles in there when you do the compression test. If there is then the headgasket is blown.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Headgaskets wont give you bad compression numbers. Way to go </TD></TR></TABLE>

???
Old 10-06-2005, 08:50 AM

Default Re: I think I blew My Engine Help!!!!!!!!! (tdo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tdo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">take off the radiator cap and see if theres bubbles in there when you do the compression test. If there is then the headgasket is blown.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That will only tell you if a coolant passage is broken directly to the combustion chamber. It wont tell you if an oil passageway is cracked or if a fire ring is broken.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:52 AM
H-T White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM-97CX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">All four of you rings huh? Wow, you really have no idea do you?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Pretty sure he probably meant all 4 sets of rings are shot.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Look at his numbers. How is a simple headgasket going to put the numbers that low. If he doesnt have oil in the coolant and coolant in the oil it wouldnt be the headgasket now would it.

Only a leak down test or pulling the head will really tell.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:55 AM
tdo
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM-97CX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

That will only tell you if a coolant passage is broken directly to the combustion chamber. It wont tell you if an oil passageway is cracked or if a fire ring is broken.</TD></TR></TABLE>

o i c. i did this to another car and he had a blown headgasket but he was losing coolant too.

well i guess you can go ahead and do that wet compression test like JDM-97CX said. good luck with that man.