Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

I somehow Owned myself - Please help :)

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 06:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I somehow Owned myself - Please help :)

I dont know how I do it sometimes, I was going to tuck my bay and i got pretty far with it, but due to NEEDING to have my car working, I had to stop doing the tuck, and put it all back as it was, so today I put everything back as it was stock, plugged my old harness back in, all fuse box and battery is back in its stock positioning. But I went to turn the ignition on and 'o dear'. The car wont start at all. Every component works, I have gone through them all. But the starter motor wont turn, the engine wont even sound as if its doing anything. Could I of somehow tripped the factory immobiliser?

Its a D16Y7. And the only side I actually tucked was the right hand side, which was for the headlights, etc. It was one bunch of wires. Nothing to do with the engine, well as far as I know, and its all plugged back as it was anyway. Any help will be appreciated. I just couldnt have a clue whats wrong, it has been cold and it hasn't been started in a month now, but I really dont think that would stop the starter motor from wanting to turn over. Anyway thanks for checking!
Old 12-07-2008, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

is it possible you disconnected a ground or 2?
Old 12-07-2008, 07:07 AM

yep i disconnected the ground which is on the negative battery cable, and i also disconnected a ground which was on the same loop as i think the windscreen washer plug cable....which were both re-secured to the same place, i cleaned all the grounds before i connected them back up....(thanks for reply)

Also im sorry I cant give much more info, as far as i know its all the same as it was before hand...i just get the feeling i might of tripped the immobiliser somehow, but i dont know how...and i get the feeling I wouldnt have any power at all to anything if that had gone....
Old 12-07-2008, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

How certain are you that you hooked everything back up?

If the immobilizer was preventing the vehicle from starting, everything in the car would still work...so you may be on to something there.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:13 AM

near enough 95% certain, theres plugs that arent connected, but they werent connected before as far as i know, i will try get some photos of the wiring harness, to upload tommorow as my cameras charging at the moment. But I cant remember then being plugged in, and theres nothing for them to go into.

Yer its only the factory immobilizer so I cant see it being the best immobilizer, so just like a cut off from the ignition.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im having all the same prob with mine but my power comes on and off and the motor just wont do anything!
Old 12-07-2008, 07:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Check all the grounds, even the small ones and make sure they are on tight.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:03 AM

Location: ....................................................................................................

Do you have a check engine light on when you put the key to prime the motor? if you don't then you don't have a ground connected or not tighten down.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:03 AM

Location: ....................................................................................................

that would be the reason why your starter won't turn over.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:07 AM

Just a thought but is the ignition wire from the ignition to the starter hooked up? I dont know if hondas even have the ign. wire i would think they would. On my subaru its a smaller gauge wire with a spade terminal that goes to the starter. With this off everything will work but nothing will happen at the starter. Just a thought.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i just fix mine it what the ground from the battery thank you guys!! so siked
Old 12-07-2008, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I still say check your grounds 3 times each they should be TIGHT
Old 12-08-2008, 01:50 AM

ok will check all the grounds again, i mean i even west sanded the paint off to give 'proper' contact to the metal...again i will go over them 3 times and check they are all as should be...not sure what the engine light looks like but for some reason there was always a light up when i turned the key, and i think it was on yesterday when i tried...anyway will check the grounds again in a bit! cheers for the help

Also jeepman i havent touched any of the ignition wires etc
Old 12-08-2008, 05:04 AM

right on well just figured it was worth a shot wasnt sure if you messed with the starter at all or maybe the wire came off the terminal as i've seen that a few times on other cars.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Didly
is it possible you disconnected a ground or 2?

Prolly that, That's always my main problem.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:16 AM

Does the starter click atleast a little?
If so try push starting it, or hittng the starter.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jeepman173
Just a thought but is the ignition wire from the ignition to the starter hooked up? I dont know if hondas even have the ign. wire i would think they would. On my subaru its a smaller gauge wire with a spade terminal that goes to the starter. With this off everything will work but nothing will happen at the starter. Just a thought.
there is a wire that goes to the starter (small plug)

if this is not connected that starter is not going to do anything at all. i had this come loose on my once when i was driving. when i shut it off i could not get it started again, and low and behold it was a simple wire/plug that came loose, put it back in and it was all good :-)
Old 12-08-2008, 06:27 AM

yup thats the one im talking about! I've seen it quite a few times in various cars. Just a thought. I've also seen that terminal snap off and cause the same problems obviously
Old 12-08-2008, 06:43 AM

ok no idea what that wire is, will go take a look, gonna re-do all the grounds and see if they are the problem, and there is no pick what so ever to the starter...which is why i found it so odd....it just has no power what so ever....
Old 12-08-2008, 07:09 AM

right on well go look at your starter and you will see a little spade terminal. If this has no wire on it thats your problem. Find the wire and plug it on and you are ready to go!
Old 12-08-2008, 07:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah its a little plug... there is only one plug i believe thats on the starter... make sure everything is connected there.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:31 AM

oh yer i know which spade terminal type thing it is anyway, but got it running just now...i re-did all the grounds cleaned them, and i had no luck...i checked over all the plugs for the engine and one of them had cracked, and very badly...i can only assume that it was down to getting a bit wet, and the cold weather we have had recently in the UK had frozen and expanded one of the plugs...random as, but luckily I had a spare, so 10 mins of soldering later and shi-bang! All starts fine, and runs nice, well it did after running it through for 10 minutes, not being turned on for a month and a bit, in freezing cold weather...never good!

Many thanks to people who suggested options, appreciate it! Thread can be removed or what ever mods want to do with it now, but thanks again!
Old 12-09-2008, 03:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

awesome man glad you got her going.. My next question was gonna be if you washed your engine bay or if it was exposed to water some how too.
None the less happy for you i know what its like to try EVERYTHING and just not know what the hell is the problem.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:57 PM

i cleaned the right-side of the engine bay, as i had taken out all of the battery etc on that side, and i only use an old flower sprayer with water to clean away de-greasent....so no chance of it jumping a meter to the other side! but yer no idea, water got into it, didnt think it could cause that kinda odd-as-**** damage as im going to call it! But yer it all works now, runs perfect, took it for a spin today...god do i hate a stock d16y7! waiting for my paycheck for a turbo haha!
but yer it was a pain to not know what the hell was wrong, especially knowing that everything else works, like the boot/trunk light, even the clock and cigarette lighter!