Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

I ran out of gas.. Is my fuel Injection fucked?

Old 07-26-2003, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I ran out of gas.. Is my fuel Injection fucked?

I have a 94 ex automatic civic... A few months ago I ran it so empty that it died and took forever to start again before I could make it to the gas station to put more gas in it, ever since then periodically it will kinda start to vibrate the whole car like somethings messed up... How do I fix this problem? Im tryin to sell this car and I dont want to sell it all messed up.. I was thinking maybe my fuel filter is clogged and maybe if it fill up the tank and put fuel inejeciont cleaner in there maybe it will help.. also I have kinda of a high idle when I first start it up now.. Any help would be great!
Old 07-26-2003, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone...
Old 07-26-2003, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (Slammed Si)

Well since its a 94 you can go ahead and replace the fuel filter because those are just 30 bucks at the dealer. Start with that and see if that fixes your problem and if you still feel the stutter run some kind of injector cleaner through your lines.
Old 07-26-2003, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: I ran out of gas.. Is my fuel Injection fucked? (Slammed Si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Slammed Si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a 94 ex automatic civic... A few months ago I ran it so empty that it died and took forever to start again before I could make it to the gas station to put more gas in it, ever since then periodically it will kinda start to vibrate the whole car like somethings messed up... How do I fix this problem? Im tryin to sell this car and I dont want to sell it all messed up.. I was thinking maybe my fuel filter is clogged and maybe if it fill up the tank and put fuel inejeciont cleaner in there maybe it will help.. also I have kinda of a high idle when I first start it up now.. Any help would be great!</TD></TR></TABLE>

you bleed the fuel system of air once you refueled your car? could possiblilty still have small traces of air bubbles still in the fuel system.
Old 07-26-2003, 04:59 PM

High idle at startup is normal until the car gets to operating temperature, you've just never noticed this before. Go ahead and replace the fuel filter,since it's likely never been replaced in the cars lifetime, it's an item most look over replacing routinely.

Modified by RedlinedVTEC at 2:10 AM 7/27/2003
Old 07-26-2003, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I ran out of gas.. Is my fuel Injection fucked? (sleeperciv)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sleeperciv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

you bleed the fuel system of air once you refueled your car? could possiblilty still have small traces of air bubbles still in the fuel system.</TD></TR></TABLE> nope didnt bleed anything... how do I bleed the fuel system?
Old 07-26-2003, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I ran out of gas.. Is my fuel Injection fucked? (RedlinedVTEC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RedlinedVTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">High idle at startup is normal until the car gets to operating temperature, you've just never noticed this before. Go ahead and replace the fuel filter,since it's likely never been replaced in the cars lifetime, it's an item most look over replacing routinely. </TD></TR></TABLE>
it idles at about 2k rpms, Trust me it never did this before, I have a couple coupes and sometimes they idle at 1500 rpms but this car since the gas ran out has an exceptionally high idle... I alwasy heard that if you run a fuel injected car out of gas its cost a grip to fix.. is this true? what would needed to be done to fix it&gt;?
Old 07-26-2003, 08:00 PM
New User

Reset ECU...
Old 07-26-2003, 08:37 PM
Prince of Zamunda

Default Re: I ran out of gas.. Is my fuel Injection fucked? (976)

Reset the ECU, loosen the fuel line and fill the tank make sure the fuel over flows and plug it back in. Then install a new fuel filter, spark plugs, and spark plug wires.
Old 07-26-2003, 10:37 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Slammed Si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
it idles at about 2k rpms, Trust me it never did this before, I have a couple coupes and sometimes they idle at 1500 rpms but this car since the gas ran out has an exceptionally high idle... I alwasy heard that if you run a fuel injected car out of gas its cost a grip to fix.. is this true? what would needed to be done to fix it&gt;?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I doubt that running in dry would hurt it, my girlfriend did that to her 93 nissan sentra all the time when she first started driving and it never messed anything up.

I would go with the idea that there is air somewhere in the fuel line maybe or the ECU needs a reset.
open your hood, upper left corner of bay should be your fuse box, in there the top left fuse should be for the ECU. take it out and leave it out for 60 seconds to rid the memory of any codes then pop it back in.

Replacing the fuel filter is like $10 at autozone, kragen, schucks, checkers, pep boys, etc...
You get the idea..

Does it still idle high after taking a ride on the freeway for 15-30 minutes?
I would throw in like 2 bottles of fuel injection cleaner, then fill her up and top it off with 92 octane gas from 76(MTBE free gas!) and shift through the gears going from idle to 5K-6K RPMs. You should be able to go 1-&gt;2-&gt;3-&gt;D or 1-&gt;2-&gt;D. That I guess would be the closest to manual shifting you can get in an auto. =\

Maybe I sound crazy... but it just might work.