Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

I popped VTEC in first gear, then let off the throttle and it made this noise.

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 06:24 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I popped VTEC in first gear, then let off the throttle and it made this noise.

2000 Civic si, bolt ons and a Exedy stage 1 clutch. I usually push in the clutch immediatly after redlining first but this time I redlined 1st and then just let off the throttle and let it coast. As soon as I let off it bucked down and made the sound that you usually hear when dowshifting. It made that noise like 2 times and the car was bucking a little. Then I pushed in the clutch.

Is this bad, can it cause any damage?
Old 12-02-2007, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I popped VTEC in first gear, then let off the throttle and it made this noise. (Razr2)

lol, that's normal for how you were driving.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:42 PM

Default Re: I popped VTEC in first gear, then let off the throttle and it made this noise. (ke98248)

Nevermind.

Modified by djessenz at 7:54 PM 12/2/2007
Old 12-02-2007, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you mean to say you redlined first gear and then left it in first gear decelerating... thats like date-rape for your tranny.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:46 PM
Trial User

Default Re: (97Ej6mike)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 97Ej6mike &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you mean to say you redlined first gear and then left it in first gear decelerating... thats like date-rape for your tranny.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah that's what I did but only for a second or two. Is it really bad for the tranny?
Old 12-02-2007, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Razr2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Razr2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yeah that's what I did but only for a second or two. Is it really bad for the tranny?</TD></TR></TABLE>

You just metphorically date-raped your tranny
Yes its bad, just dont do it again, hopefully your tranny is fine.
It still goes into gear fine, correct? Has it been making any grinding or whining since?
Old 12-02-2007, 06:53 PM
Trial User

Default Re: (97Ej6mike)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 97Ej6mike &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You just metphorically date-raped your tranny
Yes its bad, just dont do it again, hopefully your tranny is fine.
It still goes into gear fine, correct? Has it been making any grinding or whining since?</TD></TR></TABLE>

No it's not and it seems fine. I mean I only did it for maybe 1 second at most because I let off the throttle and then pushed the clutch in right away. Can anything else get damaged like the engine or clutch?

Also is it okay to do it in other gears, just not first? I mean when people downshift to slow down it's kinda the same effect.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Razr2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I mean when people downshift to slow down it's kinda the same effect.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Except usually during normal driving and downshifting you aren't reving 7-8k lol. Just put it in neutral and brake a little if you get worried.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:58 PM
Trial User

Default Re: (devney)

Okay and also today I hit up a local road with lots of twisties with some friends. I didn't drive it to hard, but I redlined it a couple of times. The car has almost 90k miles, is this okay to do once a week? Planning on going back out there next week and having some fun.

Old 12-02-2007, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Razr2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Okay and also today I hit up a local road with lots of twisties with some friends. I didn't drive it to hard, but I redlined it a couple of times. The car has almost 90k miles, is this okay to do once a week? Planning on going back out there next week and having some fun.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

You'll be fine. Just keep up with all proper maintenance.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:02 PM

wow... i dont even have anything to say to that...
Old 12-02-2007, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by devney &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Except usually during normal driving and downshifting you aren't reving 7-8k lol. Just put it in neutral and brake a little if you get worried.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea, other gears are fine.
Technically speaking, first gear has the most resistance in a transmission (think of decelerating force.. which has the most resistance if u were to roll down a hill? 1st gear or 5th gear?). Decelerating in first gear all the way would be harsh to the internals. If it was onyl for a second or two, and ur tranny doens make any noise, then your pretty much fine, but just be aware of it in the future. Its fine tho in every other gear.
The only tranny i would approve of cruising in first gear in would the the D15b8's CX tranny... extremely long gears, lol.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by devney &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You'll be fine. Just keep up with all proper maintenance.</TD></TR></TABLE>

just remember to top off your vtec fluid
Old 12-02-2007, 08:19 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (highneo)

I wish i was there to hear your motor decelerating in first gear at high RPMS ROFL..
Old 12-02-2007, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (PinoyDelSol)

the topic of this thread should have been....

today i was enlarging my ***** and i heard my tranny pop and engine almost blow... is this bad?? for ***** sake thats not good for anything on your car buddy.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:55 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Razr2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I didn't drive it to hard, but I redlined it a couple of times.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

?????!!!!!?????!!!!!!!!

What would YOUR definition of "driving hard" be?! PAST redline?!?!?! I think the only thing after that is driving without oil!

Jeeze, I think i just found my signature quote!
Old 12-03-2007, 07:59 AM
Trial User

Default Re: (BLinindoll)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BLinindoll &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

?????!!!!!?????!!!!!!!!

What would YOUR definition of "driving hard" be?! PAST redline?!?!?! I think the only thing after that is driving without oil!

Jeeze, I think i just found my signature quote!</TD></TR></TABLE>

You sir, are a dumbass. I said I was driving on a very twisty road that is about 4 miles long. Driving hard would be keeping it near redline throughout the whole road and actually driving it hard. I said I just did a couple of redline pulls on the straights, meaning not driving the twisties extremely hard.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im not gonna flame you but that is a very good way to ruin your trans and you can expletive your crank if you let that happen. always just grab that next gear if you're bring the RPMs that high. you will expletive up your motor if you keep doing that.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:37 AM

Default Re: (Probot)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Razr2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You sir, are a dumbass. I said I was driving on a very twisty road that is about 4 miles long. Driving hard would be keeping it near redline throughout the whole road and actually driving it hard. I said I just did a couple of redline pulls on the straights, meaning not driving the twisties extremely hard. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm sorry, but reading all of these replies in addition to my own thoughts leads me (and probably others) to believe that you sir are the dumbass, lol.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: (BLinindoll)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BLinindoll &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I'm sorry, but reading all of these replies in addition to my own thoughts leads me (and probably others) to believe that you sir are the dumbass, lol. </TD></TR></TABLE>

everyones done it once in a while...stop being a dick. he asked a simple question which was answered...you wanna e-fight him...pm him....no one wants to read about your dick responses.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (speedooo)

what about in 2nd gear? at autocrosses i leave it in 2nd near redline while decelerating quite a lot.
Old 12-03-2007, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Maireeka)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Maireeka &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what about in 2nd gear? at autocrosses i leave it in 2nd near redline while decelerating quite a lot.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Thats 2nd gear, which isnt nearly as bad as doing it in first, so your pretty much fine. Ive been autocrossing for awhile now, and it never wrecked any of my trannys.
Old 12-03-2007, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Damn, and i've done this couple times where i redline first gear and then left off the gas...lesson learned...i wont rape my car like that ever again
Old 12-03-2007, 05:00 PM

Default Re: (SinsEvil666)

Just wondering, how does that "date-rape" your car? What goes on inside the tranny that is bad?
Old 12-04-2007, 09:04 AM
Trial User

Default Re: (djessenz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by djessenz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just wondering, how does that "date-rape" your car? What goes on inside the tranny that is bad?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm also wondering this

Quick Reply: I popped VTEC in first gear, then let off the throttle and it made this noise.