Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

i need your help plz

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 06:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i need your help plz

ok, everytime I turn my key over to start the car it makes a click sound and i lose all power.. nothing works, but when i turn the key back to off position my "key in ignition" alert is still beeping.. yet I get no head lights or power to the gauge cluster. the only way I can make it happen again is if I unplug the battery for a minute. What could possibly be going on here? Fuses look okay
Old 08-03-2007, 06:57 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: i need your help plz (jdm_vtec)

Have you tested the battery?
Starter?
Taken a look at the main relay?

Ignition problems like this, it could be a small number of things.

Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdm_vtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok, everytime I turn my key over to start the car it makes a click sound and i lose all power.. nothing works, but when i turn the key back to off position my "key in ignition" alert is still beeping.. yet I get no head lights or power to the gauge cluster. the only way I can make it happen again is if I unplug the battery for a minute. What could possibly be going on here? Fuses look okay </TD></TR></TABLE>

i would first have the battery tested.

btw this is a stock 96 civic ex, only suspension mods at the moment
Old 08-03-2007, 06:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: i need your help plz (ek forever guy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek forever guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

</TD></TR></TABLE>

the main relay has to do with fuel.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:58 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Default Re: i need your help plz (philosofy1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the main relay has to do with fuel. </TD></TR></TABLE>

and if he's not getting fuel it wouldn't start correct? And thus the alternator wouldn't generate power.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:59 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek forever guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Have you tested the battery?
Starter?

Ignition problems like this, it could be a small number of things.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I know the starter has been giving me problems, but i didn't think it would kill all the power going to my accessories.. It may be the battery going dead, but then again it works after I leave it unplugged, I guess I'll check these things out further.. luckily it decided to happen while I was at home
Old 08-03-2007, 07:00 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek forever guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

and if he's not getting fuel it wouldn't start correct? And thus the alternator wouldn't generate power.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I hear the fuel pump prime when it gets power, then i turn it over and *CLICK* no power
Old 08-03-2007, 07:01 AM
Ek Forever y0!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdm_vtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I hear the fuel pump prime when it gets power, then i turn it over and *CLICK* no power</TD></TR></TABLE>

Okay so it's not the main relay.

If the battery is weak, when you unplug it it will get back enough charge to be a little stronger.

I say swap the battery with a friend or get it tested somehow. Then get back to us.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:06 AM

have you tried to jump start it or pop the clutch to get it started
Old 08-03-2007, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

and if he's not getting fuel it wouldn't start correct? And thus the alternator wouldn't generate power.</TD></TR></TABLE>

? the op's problem is electrical, not fuel related. his lights don't turn on, it has nothing to do with the alternator.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdm_vtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok, everytime I turn my key over to start the car it makes a click sound and i lose all power.. nothing works, but when i turn the key back to off position my "key in ignition" alert is still beeping.. yet I get no head lights or power to the gauge cluster. the only way I can make it happen again is if I unplug the battery for a minute. What could possibly be going on here? Fuses look okay </TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdm_vtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I hear the fuel pump prime when it gets power, then i turn it over and *CLICK* no power</TD></TR></TABLE>

have you tested the battery? if you have one, take a voltage meter and put the leads to the terminals of the battery.

it should read 12-14V. anything lower you have a bad battery. also, check your starter/battery cables. make sure none have come loose. how do the terminals look? are they corroded? clean them up a bit so they make better contact.

lets start with the easiest and the obvious here people.