Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

i need some lug help

Old 08-25-2008, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i need some help

one of the lugs of the front left disc brake on my car (2000 civic coupe ex)broke off and i was wondering if any of you guys knew how to fix that and could help me out on leting me know how to do it. i would really appreciate it

Modified by lkwdscr7 at 10:07 PM 8/25/2008
Old 08-25-2008, 09:07 PM

Default Re: i need some help (lkwdscr7)

hopefully i get something by tomorrow up to top
Old 08-25-2008, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just go to autozone and pick up a new one there like 2-3 bucks each. Then there should be a bolt in the middle of the rotor you can take off. hammer out the old one and put the new one in. Hope this helps.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:10 AM

Default Re: i need some help (Shaynepolevault)

thanks a lot this did help hopefully when i get to doing it i dont run into any problems. once again thanks for the help around how long does this take to do?
Old 08-26-2008, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hmmm, i'm not too sure if it's that simple to do (hammer in and out).

i think you'll have to take off the whole knuckle, press out your wheel bearing first, remove the broken stud, and then press in the new stud, press in your wheel bearing (or replace with a new one) and reassemble...

be extremely careful pressing out and pressing in your wheel bearing though...you don't want to wreck it and have to replace it again after installing it all back together.

if you have access to a press and all tools, i think it'll take you at least 1-2hours..
Old 08-26-2008, 09:25 AM

Default Re: (Mashimaro)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mashimaro &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hmmm, i'm not too sure if it's that simple to do (hammer in and out).

i think you'll have to take off the whole knuckle, press out your wheel bearing first, remove the broken stud, and then press in the new stud, press in your wheel bearing (or replace with a new one) and reassemble...

be extremely careful pressing out and pressing in your wheel bearing though...you don't want to wreck it and have to replace it again after installing it all back together.

if you have access to a press and all tools, i think it'll take you at least 1-2hours..</TD></TR></TABLE>
is there any step by step diagram on how to do this? like they have for other stuff like fog lights? just curious
Old 08-26-2008, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (lkwdscr7)

i had an ep3 and i stripped one. I didn't have the right tools to take off the nut in the middle so instead i just hammered it out and reached behind the thin metal molding piece and took it out put the new one in. After that got a lug nut put it on the bolt and torque wrenched it down. I havnt had any problems with this at all. just checked it once a week for like a month and it was fine.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:26 AM

Default Re: (Shaynepolevault)

I did this on my 96 ex its kind of a PITA. You cant just pound it out as stated above you need pull your hub out, but you dont need to pull it out all the way. Get your hands on a Hub Slide hammer (you could probably rent one at your local auto store) This allows you to hammer out the hub enough to beable to get the wheel stud out and slide the new one in. Then use the slide hammer to press the hub back into place.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:52 PM

i dont really understand i guess theres many different ways on how to do this?
Old 08-26-2008, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just take it to a shop and take them a wheel bearing new with the stud....ask them to press out the hub so you can put the new stud in...give them the new bearing and let them press it back in;;;;
Old 08-27-2008, 07:20 AM

up
Old 08-27-2008, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

wow im pretty sure i just told you what needs to be done since i just did it last week. But i got extended all the way around....what kind of answers are you looking for????your not going to get anyone to say yea man just screw out the old and screw in the new. You actualy have to spend money on this....
Old 08-27-2008, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seeing how this was even asked before he even examined how to replace it himself, might I recommend a shop doing this for you? I mean, they have all the proper equipment to make sure it's done right. It's NOT an easy task...hope you're ready for it!
Old 08-27-2008, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea thats what im trying to tell him...he either need to take the entire hub to a shop or get a shop to do it all...
Old 09-01-2008, 10:08 PM

still havent fixed this
Old 09-02-2008, 06:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

have you done anything about it....you have to help yourself....youve been told what and how to do it. there is no quick fix. Are you just wanting to be flamed for being a dumbass
Old 09-02-2008, 08:20 AM

Default Re: (92VXeg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92VXeg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">have you done anything about it....you have to help yourself....youve been told what and how to do it. there is no quick fix. Are you just wanting to be flamed for being a dumbass</TD></TR></TABLE>
the only dumb *** here isyou cuz arent you the one who said "take to a shop" why would u do that if its simple to fix on your own DUMBASS
Old 09-02-2008, 09:27 AM

replacing a wheel stud is not exactly easy, as they run into the hub when you try to pound them out, but you can do it without removing the hub.

check this link, there's a video that should show you everything you need.
http://www.ef-honda.com/main/viewtopic.php?t=34114
Old 09-02-2008, 04:53 PM

Default Re: (thegoudster)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thegoudster &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">replacing a wheel stud is not exactly easy, as they run into the hub when you try to pound them out, but you can do it without removing the hub.

check this link, there's a video that should show you everything you need.
http://www.ef-honda.com/main/viewtopic.php?t=34114</TD></TR></TABLE>
thanks for the help will try this out this weekend
Old 09-02-2008, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

there is no simple fix on the front!!!!
Sure you can pound them out without taking the hub off but there is a good chance you ARE going to DAMAGE the wheel bearing. Using a slap hammer is just asking for a messed wheel bearing.I dont give a damn if you take it to a shop. The rears are fine to be done with the slap hammer.Im just trying to tell you the smartest thing to do it which would be to get someone(doesnt have to be a shop) to use a press and press the hub out. But no matter how much you mess your wheel bearing up I know you wont get on here and say that you did. Im sure u you will either hammer it out and say everything was fine or get it pressed out and come back here saying you hammered it out and say everything was fine. But anyways since your cheap and are willing to take the risk good luck
Old 09-02-2008, 07:49 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92VXeg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">there is no simple fix on the front!!!!
Sure you can pound them out without taking the hub off but there is a good chance you ARE going to DAMAGE the wheel bearing. Using a slap hammer is just asking for a messed wheel bearing.I dont give a damn if you take it to a shop. The rears are fine to be done with the slap hammer.Im just trying to tell you the smartest thing to do it which would be to get someone(doesnt have to be a shop) to use a press and press the hub out. But no matter how much you mess your wheel bearing up I know you wont get on here and say that you did. Im sure u you will either hammer it out and say everything was fine or get it pressed out and come back here saying you hammered it out and say everything was fine. But anyways since your cheap and are willing to take the risk good luck </TD></TR></TABLE>
its not a maater of being cheap its just the satisfaction of knowing that all the work done to my car was done by me.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:55 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lkwdscr7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its not a maater of being cheap its just the satisfaction of knowing that all the work done to my car was done by me.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Man, front wheel bearings aren't cheap. I have beat studs out on the front before, i also replaced my front wheel bearing about 2 years later, not sure if there was any corolation. I was in a little worse spot then you were though, i was living away from home at the time going to school and i bought a set of rims, i went to put them on the car on the side of the street. I broke 3, yes thats right 3 studs on the drivers front hub taking the nuts off, i still have no idea what happened, especially since i just had that wheel off like 2 weekends before and spun the nuts on by hand before i tightened them, they started coming off ok and then just bound up and snapped. Anyway i replaced the studs on the side of the street just so i could get the thing mobile, in your case i'd probably go take it somewhere and get it fixed.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Front wheel bearings fromt auto parts store are around $50.
Saying the hubs need to be pressed out is so you dont damage the wheel bearings and then you will be doing the whole thing over again
Old 09-03-2008, 07:41 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92VXeg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Front wheel bearings fromt auto parts store are around $50.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You guys get way better deals on parts in the US. I paid $70 for a wheel bearing here in canada, aftermarket, and that was the best price I could find in town, and I got a pretty steep discount on it too. It listed for something like $113. If I check a price on majestic honda against my local dealer, my local dealer normally wants between twice as much and 4 times as much. We get raped.