Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

I need some help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2005, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need some help with starting issues on my del sol!

Hey guys. I went to start my del Sol today and it started up VERY rough and nasty, it sounded like there was two exhaust notes when it started up, and it sounded liek it was choking or wanted to stall. I turned the car off, then restarted it and the same thing happened. So I went to where I needed to go, then I noticed my CEL light came on, so I'm like wtf, the car is driving fine, just started up like ****. So I when i got home, I turned the car off, and turned it back on, the CEL light didn't come on again, so I drove it around the block, it still didn't come on, and it drove like it usually did. Came home, turned it off, then back on, but it didn't turn on, it wanted to cacth but wouldn't, so after about 3 trys cranking it over, it finally catched but barely. Do you gusy have any ideas what my problem could be, the CEL only came on that one time, and hasn't again.

It is a 93 del Sol with a d15b7, bought it with 138,000kms and now has 180,000kms. Since I bought it I have changed the spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor, dizzy cap n rotor, timing belt, water pump, starter, battery. I have been meaning to change my main relay, because I think that is the reason it won't start up sometimes. But I have no clue why it started so rough and shitty and the CEL light came on. Any help, or places to start checking would be appreciated

EDIT: Oh and I have also swapped out my tranny for an Si tranny, and since then my speedo has been all whacky, like jumps up and down all the time and doesn't even work most of the time, any ideas what's wrong there too?

Modified by Pret-sol at 7:10 PM 10/15/2005

Modified by Pret-sol at 7:11 PM 10/15/2005
Old 10-15-2005, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Anyone? I want to get this figured out as soon as possible.
Old 10-15-2005, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Pret-sol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Pret-sol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Anyone? I want to get this figured out as soon as possible.</TD></TR></TABLE>
maybe if you titled your thread so people knew what you were asking about.please read the rules:
2.A. Please do not post misleading or unspecific thread titles. Please don’t post “Help Needed” or “Look at this problem.” Make your thread titles specific to the question you are asking

see if you have any stored codes.you can find the procedure at the top of this forum(right next to the rules ).tell us what,if any,codes you have.
have you ever replaced the fuel filter?
Chris
Old 10-15-2005, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Um, no I haven't replaced it yet. I will check if I am throwing any codes. And thanks for the heads up
Old 10-15-2005, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, I am only throwing a code 17, speed sensor. But that only explains my speedo, not the shitty start...hmm.
Old 10-15-2005, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Pret-sol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Um, no I haven't replaced it yet. I will check if I am throwing any codes. And thanks for the heads up </TD></TR></TABLE>
i'd definitely replace the fuel filter.they will almost clog completely up,and can cause starvation problems.
Chris
Old 10-15-2005, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Pret-sol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok, I am only throwing a code 17, speed sensor. But that only explains my speedo, not the shitty start...hmm.</TD></TR></TABLE>
did you re-use your old VSS when swapping in the new tranny?is it fully seated down into the tranny?is the connector fully seated onto the sensor?
for the starting problem,replace the fuel filter,check the timing and check your main relay.
Chris
Old 10-15-2005, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, I'll replace that and see if that solves the problem. Thanks for your help. Oh btw, do you think maybe on start up I am running on 3 cylinders only, would that explain the rough idle and odd exhaust note? Maybe I have shitty spark plugs or wires?
Old 10-15-2005, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Pret-sol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok, I'll replace that and see if that solves the problem. Thanks for your help. Oh btw, do you think maybe on start up I am running on 3 cylinders only, would that explain the rough idle and odd exhaust note? Maybe I have shitty spark plugs or wires?</TD></TR></TABLE>
it could be an ignition component,although it would most likely do it all the time.i suspect the fuel filter being clogged,as it can not allow enough fuel through when the pump does it's initial prime.there's enough fuel to start the car,but not enough to necesarily fire all the time.the pump eventually "pushes" enough fuel through the filter,and all is good.
Chris