Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

i need a new dash vin. is it possible i can order one from honda?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i need a new dash vin. is it possible i can order one from honda?

need a new dash vin the ends of the stock vin have been swapped onto a newer dash, and when removing the drill bit snagged the rivit, and bent the edges of the vin. so is it possible to get a new vin tag?
Old 04-30-2007, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would guess not, but it coudlnt hurt to goto the honda dealer with the broken VIN tag, and at least ask if they are allowed to get it re-issued.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (97Ej6mike)

i doubt honda would be able to get you one.. also thats vin tampering which is a mistimeanor, i really dont care but i got charged for it so just letting u know.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:03 PM

Default Re: i need a new dash vin. is it possible i can order one from honda? (dem0nk1d)

O shoot I just posted a topic askin the same question.

Can we get some more info on this...
Old 04-30-2007, 05:20 PM

Default Re: (john666)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by john666 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i doubt honda would be able to get you one.. also thats vin tampering which is a mistimeanor, i really dont care but i got charged for it so just letting u know.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Yeah, but its on the dash so you kinda have to change it if you swap the dash, be if because of a wreck or whatever.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (iceman7329)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by iceman7329 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Yeah, but its on the dash so you kinda have to change it if you swap the dash, be if because of a wreck or whatever.</TD></TR></TABLE>

long story short... my car is salvaged... vin was swapped from one dash to another.. and i did get charged for vin tampering... they removed the vin on the dash and blue tagged my salvaged car... reason why they caught it. my interior is suppose to be black but its blue.. theres a sticker where u open the door that says what color interior you have... im telling u what happened to me which is fact.. might not happen to someone else but it can
Old 04-30-2007, 07:05 PM

getting a re-issued vin is a long process that i dont beleive and individual can do. it is possible but not w/o insurance companys, the dealer, and DMV all directly involved. i dont know the details but i work at a body shop and we need to get one for a mercedes ML that was hit along the top of the dash and a-post. the new vin was issued after a few months, but it is more or less a plate with some numbers stamped on it and some paperwork. long story short, 2 years later the guy wants to trade the car in and they tell him its notworth ****, and he comes after us even though we did everything in out power to help him out, currently the guy is trying to sue his insurance comnpany for the depreciated value of his car....

basically, its bad news bears and you shouldn't have dicked with it in the first place
Old 04-30-2007, 07:50 PM

Default Re: (john666)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by john666 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

long story short... my car is salvaged... vin was swapped from one dash to another.. and i did get charged for vin tampering... they removed the vin on the dash and blue tagged my salvaged car... reason why they caught it. my interior is suppose to be black but its blue.. theres a sticker where u open the door that says what color interior you have... im telling u what happened to me which is fact.. might not happen to someone else but it can</TD></TR></TABLE>

My interior is black but the door jam sticker says gray
Old 04-30-2007, 08:14 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

There is no part number for it, so it's not like it will be that easy. It's not like you can just order one.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (iceman7329)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by iceman7329 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

My interior is black but the door jam sticker says gray </TD></TR></TABLE>

My interior is black with a sticker that says blue
Old 05-01-2007, 11:27 AM

Default Re: (BlueIntegraBoy)

I was told that you cannot get them re-issued. What you CAN do is go to your local state patrol inspection facility and they will verify you did a dash swap, run the new VIN on the new dash to make sure it is not reported stolen, and then issue you a state patrol ID number, which is a substitute VIN, essentially.

Which puts you in a catch 22, because if you swap the dash and DONT go to the state patrol for the ID numbers, if you get stopped, the cop will hassle you. I'm not sure what they can legally do, but I got threatened with having my car impounded if I didnt get it taken care of within 30 days. I still havent done it and that was 2 years ago, but the cops where i used to live were ******* dicks!

EDIT: This all came about when I was stopped for "suspicion of a stolen car." Yes, I got stopped 3 times by cops thinking that I stole my own car. If you ran the plate number it came back as "88 CRX White" but I had painted it charcoal. They inspected the VIN on the dash and when it didnt match what was on file for the plate, I got read my rights, cuffed, and thrown in a cop car. Yes, the cops really are not smart enough to a) check your registration or license. and b) look for a VIN number that is not easily removeable, such as a door jam or firewall.