Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

i need help wiring my vtec to a switch!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-10-2008, 02:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i need help wiring my vtec to a switch!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i bought a civic from a chick who had no idea what was going on with it and the block said a d16A and its a sohc vtec. well the vtec is not working and the car redlines at 5600rmp. well there is a plug with a green end on the vtec solinoid and we disconected that same plug on my friends civic and his car did the same thing. well my car is missing the plug so we want to wire it to a switch i know where the vtec signal is on my ecu so how do i wire my vtec to a switch. this mite b alota dumb questions but i need to know how to do it please help
Old 08-10-2008, 03:08 PM
Plead da Fif

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Our car's don't have D16's. You're in the wrong forum.

D16A is '88 - '91 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Civic
Old 08-10-2008, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (It Wasn't Me)

actually i have a d16y8... so i think your in the wrong forum
Old 08-10-2008, 04:42 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: i need help wiring my vtec to a switch!!!!!!!!!!!!! (waterfordtuners)

I think what we need to establish here is what the car is and exactly what the engine is. No D16A that i'm aware of is vtec, but that isn't to say someone didn't swap a later D-series vtec head on it. Do not wire your vtec to a switch, it is a common misconception that wiring vtec to an RPM activated switch will allow you to operate vtec without a vtec ECU, this is false, you will hear vtec engage, but you wont have the extra fuel or the changes in ignition timing to make any more power, essentially using a switch gives you a vtec noise and nothing else. if your going to wire up vtec, get a vtec ECU. Let us know what car and engine/head you have and we can point you in the right direction for an ECU.
Old 08-10-2008, 04:49 PM
Plead da Fif

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: (DOUBLExDEUCEx22)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DOUBLExDEUCEx22 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">actually i have a d16y8... so i think your in the wrong forum</TD></TR></TABLE>

They had originally posted in the 2001 - 2005 Civic forum. One of the moderators moved it here...
Old 08-11-2008, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (It Wasn't Me)

ok so i bought this car bc it was 900. i bought it from a girl whop new nothing and i got ahold of the guy who previosly owned it and he was a real jackass. he said the vtec use to b wired to a switch so i fig i would just do that again. its a 92 civic with a d16A swap. its a sohc and the head says vtec and it has the vtec solinoid. i own a 98 honda with a d15 in it so i no a little about the car.

but the part that is missing on my 92 i took off my 98 and my 98 did the same problem it hit the limiter where vtec should kick in. so i no that that is the problem i just dont no what to do. the wires i am talking about are blue and black on my 98 but missing on the one im trying to fiix. how can i just get vtec to work in the simple way bc i am selling the car for 1500 if i can get the vtec to at least work so please help me
Old 08-11-2008, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

and it has a p05 ecu is that a vtec ecu or not idk obd1 ecu at all should i get a p28
Old 08-11-2008, 09:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is no d16a vtec......

the p05 is not even a vtec computer??

And WHY would anyone hook up there vtec to a switch, the computer is programed with special fuel and air ratios when vtec kicks in making it utterly pointless to have vtec on a switch unless you can turn it on at the right time every time.... thats like adding another task to drive your car daily..

Old 08-11-2008, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (philkehn)

if u dont belive me that its a d16A vtec come look at the car it says vtec rite on the head and has the solinoid. idk if its a d16a head but the block reads a d16a and the head says vtec and its got the solinoid. i dont want to wire the vtec to a switch but i also dont want the car to redline at 5600 so i just want it done
Old 08-11-2008, 10:15 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: (waterfordtuners)

THERE IS A D16A VTEC ENGINE - I HAVE INSTALLED ONE AT MY SHOP!!!

Juat wanted to clarify this. I have personally installed a D16A engine in a customer's vehicle. It came from Pacific Engine Co. in Atlanta, GA and it was literally the only one Ive ever seen. It looked just like a D16Z6, but it literally just said "D16A" on the block.

Anyways to the OP you need a P28 ECU from any 92-95 Civic Si/EX. If you have a 5-speed get a 5-speed ECU, auto, get auto.

You will then need to wire up the VTEC:

You need to worry only about pins A4 and D6, then make sure the VTEC oil pressure switch ground wire is also grounded.

Do not wire in a switch. It's ghetto, and it won't offer up the fuel and timing maps that the correct ECU and proper hook-up will.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:20 AM
Former Moderator

Default Re: (B18C5-EH2)

Oh BTW:

Many people are confused on hoe you actuallt wire into the ECU itself. You cn't just jam the wire into the ECU pulg - you'll need a wire with the appropriate pin on the end to get the wire to stick into the ECU plug.

I like to go to salvage yards and cut about a foot off of a 92-95 Civic's ECU harness under the dash. This gives you lots of extra wires and pins to use in the future. You simply depin a wire, solder it to the wire you're running from the VTEC solenoid/Pressure switch (or whatever wires you're running) and then you'll have an OE quality connection.

Here's how you depin wires:

Props be to Katman for the awesome how-to pics!
Old 08-11-2008, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so all i gota do is get a p28 ecu and run the wires A4 and D6 to the plastic piece that is broke off on my car on the vtec solinoid. on my other car these to wires are black and blue and run to a plug which plugs into the green peice by the solinoid. but the wires and plug is missing from this car thanks for the help
Old 08-11-2008, 11:22 AM
Former Moderator

Default Re: (waterfordtuners)

Sure you can just wire whatever color wires you want to to the VTEC solenoid and pressure switch, then run them through the firewall and into the ECU.

If you can snag a salvage yard car's harness/wires you can even use actual engine harness wire so it's all the same guage wire throughout.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (B18C5-EH2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94EG8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think what we need to establish here is what the car is and exactly what the engine is. No D16A that i'm aware of is vtec, but that isn't to say someone didn't swap a later D-series vtec head on it. Do not wire your vtec to a switch, it is a common misconception that wiring vtec to an RPM activated switch will allow you to operate vtec without a vtec ECU, this is false, you will hear vtec engage, but you wont have the extra fuel or the changes in ignition timing to make any more power, essentially using a switch gives you a vtec noise and nothing else. if your going to wire up vtec, get a vtec ECU. Let us know what car and engine/head you have and we can point you in the right direction for an ECU.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not even that, I don't believe.

I don't know much (anything) about the D16A, but if it has no VTEC, then he won't even hear VTEC - there's no VTEC solenoid for him to hear, what would he connect the switch to?

Though good point about putting a VTEC head on it, and ur 100% right in the fact that even if it's a VTEC head and the VTEC lobes DO indeed lock, it won't have the VTEC fuel tables in the ECU - the car will most likely lean out, and definitely bog out.

I would do as B18C5-EH2 said, assuming you have a VTEC head.

Get a P28 ECU, wire up the VTEC (A4 I do believe), and the oil pressure (D6, if I recall correctly), and have at it.

PS: I didn't read all the posts to see if u figured out which head it was. So if I stated something that was already taken care of - just ignore me.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

ok thanks for all the help i will get the ecu and wire it up and let yall no how it works out.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

and after i sell this civic i am dropping in a gsr in my 98 ex. anyone know where i can get a decently priced complete gsr swap i need everything and i will b selling my d15b with mods as a complete swap for around 500 it has 70k if anyone wants it
Old 01-04-2009, 08:49 PM

Default Re: i need help wiring my vtec to a switch!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ay i got a d16z6 with the vtec solenoid unwired i got three bare wires and idk wich wire goes where can anyone help me??
Old 01-04-2009, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i thought every 92 civic hatch and coupe no matter if i was a si,ex,dx or whatever model it was always had vtec switch wires ran into the car even tho from factory they didnt use them.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Get that switch wired up ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-05-2009, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

true, if it is a 92, and 92 only then it will not need to be wired all the way to the ecu, just to the strut connector. You should see an orange/white wire and an orange/silver wire I do believe coming from the inside of the car to the strut connector on the car side, but no wires coming out of the other side.
List of wire colors to pinouts to make it simple for you. And it really shouldn't take more than 15 minutes to wire these up right and about 5 more to make them look factory.
You should have 2 plugs right. a 1 wire plug with a green/yellow wire, and a 2 wire plug with a blue wire and a black wire.
Green/yellow=vtec solenoid=pin a4
blue wire on 2 prong plug=vtec pressure switch=pin d6
black wire on 2 prong plug=ground=ground it into the harness ground or where ever you want to.
But pictures of what you have would be nice...
Old 02-09-2010, 02:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon2 Re: i need help wiring my vtec to a switch!!!!!!!!!!!!! (waterfordtuners)

Originally Posted by 94EG8
I think what we need to establish here is what the car is and exactly what the engine is. No D16A that i'm aware of is vtec, but that isn't to say someone didn't swap a later D-series vtec head on it. Do not wire your vtec to a switch, it is a common misconception that wiring vtec to an RPM activated switch will allow you to operate vtec without a vtec ECU, this is false, you will hear vtec engage, but you wont have the extra fuel or the changes in ignition timing to make any more power, essentially using a switch gives you a vtec noise and nothing else. if your going to wire up vtec, get a vtec ECU. Let us know what car and engine/head you have and we can point you in the right direction for an ECU.
hey, i have a 91 civic hatch Dx, with a SOHC vtec out of a 98 civic i believe. it has a D16y8 an a 1991 si ecu. Anyways, my question is it possable to wire my vtec to this ecu or how do i run it off a toggle... thanks for the help
Old 02-09-2010, 03:49 AM
Reject Papi

1) this thread is old as ****.
2) don't run vtec off a toggle switch. it doesn't work correctly. its not really vtec. its more like, a toggle switch. you need the correct map of fuel for vtec to work properly.
3) no, a 91 si ecu will not work.
4) do some research and, ohhh....idk, read the thread you just posted in! you need a vtec ecu. get yourself a p28, and a obd0-obd1 conversion harness.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:07 AM
Trial User

Default Re: i need help wiring my vtec to a switch!!!!!!!!!!!!! (waterfordtuners)

Originally Posted by 94EG8
I need an ecu for a d16y8 out of a 99 civic 5speed. i need to know the computer number code so i can get one.