Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

I need help....something went very wrong with my new suspension

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2003, 01:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need help....something went very wrong with my new suspension

I don't know exactly how it happened, but the upper damper mounting rubber popped out of the damper mounting base. Also, I think that when it popped out, it wrecked the part where you could adjust the KYB AGX shock, cause I couldn't really feel a difference between 1 and 4 when I was "bouncing" my car.
Anyways, what the hell happened and what can I do to prevent that from happening again?
One more thing, how did you guys get that rear LCA bolt out? It's friggin' impossible!
Thanks In Advanced, People
Old 05-18-2003, 01:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I need help....something went very wrong with my new suspension (3 G's)

Pics??
EDIT: Oh...the LCA is prob. one of the most fun bolts to take off...IMO. Take it easy and use a big-*** breaker bar and some WD-40.
Old 05-18-2003, 02:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I need help....something went very wrong with my new suspension (GTlvr82)

Sorry, man I don't have pics...I'll try to get them ASAP
But if you have a Helms manual, you might know what I'm talking about...it's shown on the page where there's a diagram of the whole front shock/spring assembly.
That missing rubber is pissing me off cause the tip of the shock is clanging on the inside of the mounting base.
Another I want to know is what's the cheapest method of replacing that damn mounting rubber.
Again, thanks in advance

By the way, nice sig, man....Fight Club's the ****
Old 05-18-2003, 02:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I need help....something went very wrong with my new suspension (3 G's)

Is the rubber mounting piece missing or is it just not on correctly? If it's just misaligned, you can just take it apart and reset it. If it's missing, that's weird, because unless it had a cut or break in it, it couldn't have fallen off the damper assembly. In either case, you might be able to just order the part from http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com or a similar site. Good luck.
Old 05-18-2003, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, in just a few minutes, I'm going to take out the spring/shock assembly to see if the shock's fucked up.

But I want to know what did I do wrong in the installation to cause the mounting rubber to pop off (possibly during the compression of the shock). Is it cause I didn't tighten the nuts enough? Cause I kept turning the wrench and the nut just kept on turning as well and I couldn't feel it tighten.
Old 05-18-2003, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay, I just took out the shock and tested it. I'm not sure if it's messed up or not, maybe you guys could help me out. Between settings 1 and 4, the compression of the shock felt ALMOST the same and the opposite stroke (what's it called? Rebound?) was MUCH slower on setting 4 than it is on 1. So is it half messed? Or is this normal?

Help is greatly needed here.
Thanks In Advance
Old 05-18-2003, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (3 G's)

thats normal
Old 05-18-2003, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Which nuts felt like they didn't tighten?

BIGTUNA is right. I don't have any experience with AGX but that makes sense. Since your car's weight will stay the same, it makes sense not to change compression damping too much. But adjustable rebound damping is good for matching spring rates.
Old 05-18-2003, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The ones that are on top of the shock tower...but I've just gotten myself into even more trouble because of an inaccurate torque wrench...the tip of the shock broke off...dammit.

I hope the warranty covers it, but I doubt it.
I also think I figured out how the mounting rubber came off: There was this little washer that came with the shocks to replace the bump stop plate...I did that and I think what happened when I went over a bump, the bump stop slid over that little washer and forced my mounting rubber off.

Ah well, fix one thing and another goes wrong...that's how you'll truly learn and that's all part of the fun ; )
Thanks alot