Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

i need help....please

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 04:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i need help....please

ok heres the deal...i have a eg hatch with a D15B Vtec 5-speed....dont laugh......it ran fine for about a month and a half...then it started cutting off.......i changed the MAIN RELAY, DISTRIBUTOR, FUEL FILTER, FUEL PUMP, in the past 3 weeks.....its still shutting off....i took it to my "local" mech. and he says its not throwing any codes and charged me 30 bux just to put a lil wire in the plug to test the cels.....lmao...if only i would have read on here that you can test the cels in a eg with a peice of speaker wire...but thats my stupidity....anyway..moving on

it does it while its idle.....and when im driving

the car will crank up fine.....then the car will run for aprox. 20 minutes then just die....likes its running out of gas....well ive noticed that when it cuts off, i turn the key back and go to crank it right back up.....and i dont hear the fuel pump wirlling in the tank.....so...it wont crank immeidatly....if i wait for aprox. 5 minutes....i turn the key forward....and BAM the pump starts wirlling and she fires right up...aprox 20 minutes later.......it shuts off.....could this be a bad fuel pump?....im stumped man.... so i go to check the ecu out.....it says D16A right on the case....its a P91...would this have anything to do with it? and if not...if it is the ecu [freak]ing up...should i replace it with this same P91 ...or should i go with a p28..ive read that the p28s can be capatable with all honda models.....theres probley 90 threads just like this one....but ive been searching for weeks....and have yet to find the cure to my cars dezeise...thanks yall
Old 07-31-2008, 05:24 AM

Default Re: i need help....please (TattoonistInk)

bumps
Old 07-31-2008, 05:33 AM

wow....18 views and no post...thanks
Old 07-31-2008, 08:03 AM

The first thing I would try is switching out the ecu with the correct one.
Old 08-02-2008, 06:07 PM

ok.....i switched out the ecus with 2 p28s and its still shutting off.....i thought mabie it was the fuel pump....so i took it out and went to advance and bought one....put it in....and it crunk right up....i get down the road and my car shuts off....oh yeah...and my tire goes flat and comes off the rim ....of all times.....someone..anyone...throw me a list of things that would make my D15B crank up......then just shut off ....its like something is shutting the fuel pump off....could this be low oil level? i have put new (distributor, main relay, fuel pump, fuel filter)....i know im getting fire...sounds to me like a fuel issue...and i havent the clue where to start....help a brother out

runs for 20 minutes then shuts off....dies ...like it runs out of gas.....wont crank right up....have to wait 5 minutes to crank.....sputters and **** sometimes when i start it up

it does it idleing...and while driving

Please Help!
Old 08-02-2008, 06:15 PM

hows your cap and rotor.....?
Old 08-02-2008, 06:16 PM

they should be good man...ive just replaced the dizzy
Old 08-02-2008, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Check the IACV, was ganna say the fuel pump but you say you already replaced.

Modified by rSol93 at 8:09 PM 8/2/2008
Old 08-03-2008, 11:33 AM

Default Re: (rSol93)

...ok....the way to test this is to take off my air filter....and when it shuts off...see if the hole closes??...or tell me how to test it.........also...could this be my oxygen sensor in my header going bad?....im testing all the fuses now....someone please help.....
Old 08-03-2008, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TattoonistInk)

dude ur cars friggin cursed man!hope u figure it out!
Old 08-03-2008, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does your throttle stick by any chance? try adjusting your idle screw on your tb, it may be screwed in too tight to idle correctly when warmed up, is your ignition timing correct? you can try cleaning your iacv and openeing up your fitv and screwing the thing in all the way. Doesn't hurt to check all of these, as they don't cost you any money.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:12 AM

Default Re: (Hanmin)

would this cause my car to shut off while driving? and where is the IACV?
Old 08-04-2008, 06:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ive had this happen to me before i would look into the main relay, this controls the power to the fuel pump.
when this would happen to me i would hit the dash on the left side of the gauge cluster and magically it would start to work.
this part should be like 75 bux from honda. check it out. search main relay on the forum and compare your symptoms to other honda-tech'ers.
hope this helps.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's more commonly associated with Accords, but what about your ignition lock? Have you pulled it to see if there's any obvious damage or misalignment?
Old 08-04-2008, 07:04 AM

Default Re: i need help....please (hatchling37)

."""""""......i changed the MAIN RELAY, DISTRIBUTOR, FUEL FILTER, FUEL PUMP, in the past 3 weeks.....its still shutting off...."""""""it runs untill it gets warm....just when the cars getting comfortable......she cuts off....ive tested all the fuses and took my intake off....its kinda blackish oily inside .....the TB opens and closes fine....i dunno wtf it is....i unplugged my O2 sensor...and it didnt run any diffrent
Old 08-04-2008, 07:33 AM

Default ...

something is getting hot and shutting it off
Old 08-04-2008, 05:44 PM

ok...this morning i went out and it started right up.....it idled i know for 30 minutes....then suddenly shut off......it then wouldnt crank back up....only act like it was ganna crank.....almost like i wasnt getting fuel....i dunno weither its a ingector or what....what is the easyst way to check to see if i have a clogged injector? im sorry yall....ive searched for it....i also had a guy tell me that it was my CKP (cranks shaft position sensor).....but im not throwing any codes what so ever....before...or after the car shuts down....i then thought mabie it was my timeing.....but it cranking up and staying idle for 30 mintues -at apropriate idle level-....would tell you its not the timeing...right?...when i opened the dizzy up...the rotar is in the right spot i beleive...my car was idleing and i pulled the O2 sensor out....the response to the engine didnt change at all....i didnt disconect the batter to reset the ecu tho...could this be why it didnt affect the engine's oxygne level?..Everytime i talk to someone new....its a diffrent part..and something else wrong with the car...if you have any idea or assumpsion of what could be wrong with my car...please leave me with something to test or check...

the break-down...
changed the dizzy, main relay, fuel pump (3 times), fuel filter, plugs, wires

when i go to start the car....i hear the 3 clicks as normal and i hear the fuel pump engage, it cranks right up when cold....then runs for 30 minutes and completly just shuts down. (driving or not), then it wont crank emidiatly....wait for a while and it will crank up and die after a number of minutes.....

but NOOOOWWWW....i started it this morning and it idled for 30 minutes.....i left about 2 hours ago...and it wouldnt start at all...it would turn over....and try to crank...but just sputter out like no gas....i hear the fuel pump...i know its good....i know the filters not cloged.....

but i dont know if the ingetors are doing what they are sapose to.....how do i test?
Old 08-05-2008, 04:20 AM

bumppppp
Old 08-05-2008, 05:34 AM

Default Re: i need help....please

anyone ....any help?!?
Old 08-05-2008, 05:39 AM

its still not throwing any codes
Old 08-05-2008, 06:39 AM

wow.....thats great....ive tried everything .....i thought i would get more help from hondatech....help a good guy out
Old 08-05-2008, 07:35 AM

so noones ganna help.....wow
Old 08-05-2008, 07:54 AM

My brothers car did the same thing, but whenever my dad would show up to work on it, it would work fine. They could never figure it out, they sold it to some girl who we met 6 months later and she said it was doing the same thing.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

whats your fuel pressure?

are you getting spark when it does not start?
Old 08-05-2008, 08:00 AM

Default Re: (robfrmny21)

it will start right up and drive or idle for 30 minutes when its cooler in the morning....then it will shut off....and not crank for 5 minutes.....yesterday i crunk it up and let it idle for 30 minutes and it shut of as expected....but it didnt start back up all day.....almost like its flooded....what would cause this? what sensor if any sensor....i read something about a sensor that would cause it to flood.........then i read about this sensor on the clutch pedel going out......would this cause this problem?

Quick Reply: i need help....please