Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

i Need help, MY brother blew up my car???? theives and noobs!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 04:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default i Need help, MY brother blew up my car???? theives and noobs!!!!!!

long story short. i gave him my eg with a d16avtec to use while i was away, it had a blown radiator that i told him to change. he drove it for three months by filling the radiator everday. . last week some thieves broke in to the car and stole the radio. in the process the shorted fuses that control the instrament panle light.

so he was driving the car and he says it just shut off on him,
he tried to start it back up and noticed it was overheated. he then proceeded to refill the radiator and POUR water ALL over the enigne and radiator>?

now the motor idles between 800 and 1200, and theres ticking noises coming form the head, also it hesitates like mad. i think he completely fucked the engine. but i did notice the spark plugs were really moist/possible water in the dizzy and plugs?
i couldnt check to see if coolant is in the oil or whatever casue it was late and dark. but please throw me out some ideas what i should be checking for and what would casue the symptoms.

I know this is kinda long so heres the Footnotes
1. car over heated and shut off by it self
2. afterward the engine was doused with gallons of water
3. car hesitates through the whole rpm range and idles funny
4. ticking noise form the head
5. he says it still overheats? i dont know how credible he is though. (he dosent know **** baout cars.)

please help this man cause i am about to kick his ***
Old 10-04-2005, 05:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: i Need help, MY brother blew up my car???? theives and noobs!!!!!! (djsire)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by djsire &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
3. car hesitates through the whole rpm range and idles funny
4. ticking noise form the head
5. he says it still overheats? i dont know how credible he is though. (he dosent know **** baout cars.) </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm guessing that the headgasket blew from overheating, and possibly cracked the head (especially after dumping water on it). The car should not have been driven after overheating, and probably did some damage, especially if its still running and overheating. You need to do a compression and leakdown on that motor to see where the problem is.

Old 10-04-2005, 05:44 AM

Default Re: i Need help, MY brother blew up my car???? theives and noobs!!!!!! (AutoXer)

damn thats not what i wanted to hear. but it is what i suspected, how can you tell if the head is cracked? is it possible the the plugs or dizz got wet and thats whats doin it? and how do you do the compression leakdown im going to check out the car after work so let me know
Old 10-04-2005, 06:11 AM

Default Re: i Need help, MY brother blew up my car???? theives and noobs!!!!!! (djsire)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by djsire &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">damn thats not what i wanted to hear. but it is what i suspected, how can you tell if the head is cracked? is it possible the the plugs or dizz got wet and thats whats doin it? and how do you do the compression leakdown im going to check out the car after work so let me know</TD></TR></TABLE>

You will need special tools to do the leak down and compression test. I am not sure of the exact procedure though as I have never actaully had to do it.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:15 AM

I am douting big time that pouring the water on there would of cracked it, where i use to work we would pour cold water on the engines to cool them down when we did a oil change. i really dout it cracked, but probly did blow the head gasket
Old 10-04-2005, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: i Need help, MY brother blew up my car???? theives and noobs!!!!!! (92-LS-Civic)

check your oil dipstick for any milky white residue, check the bottom of your oil cap for moisture and/or milky white residue, check your radiator cap for any milky white residue and/or oil. All these are signs of a bad headgasket. Also with the car on if any white smoke comes out of the muffler it has a bad headgasket. You can also test by putting your car on an incline, popping the radiator cap off, and starting the car, if it starts to bubble or fluid gushes out like a volcano you have a bad headgasket. All these could also be a sign of a warped head, or hole in your block too, ya never know.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:47 AM

Default Re: i Need help, MY brother blew up my car???? theives and noobs!!!!!! (inline4)

well if its just the gasket i could live with that. what im scared of is burnt valves cracked head and such. so you think its just the gasket what about the ticking. i also heard vacumm form behind the im but it was dark so i don tknow if i was buggin. im so freekin pissed right now.

thanks inline im going to check this stuff out when i get to the crib

and 92 ls was the engine overheated when your pour the water on it?
he told me the car just turned off, i never heard of a car turning off caseu it overheated. exept for the time my granpas car turned off form overheating, the damage turned out to be a fried cylinder
Old 10-04-2005, 06:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: i Need help, MY brother blew up my car???? theives and noobs!!!!!! (inline4)

Good info. If the gasket is blown, you can check the head / block for cracks when you go to replace the gasket. For comp / leakdown, there are tutorials on c-speedracing.com

Old 10-04-2005, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: i Need help, MY brother blew up my car???? theives and noobs!!!!!! (AutoXer)

you should definatly do a leakdown and compression test first because you wouldnt want to take all the time and money to do a headgasket change and that might not be the problem
Old 10-05-2005, 05:27 AM

Default Re: i Need help, MY brother blew up my car???? theives and noobs!!!!!! (LShatchie)

ok i got an update. i went to check out the car agian yasterday. i turns out that he neverfilled the radiator he was filling the over fill tank. my finding also included, burnt oil(really stunk), water pump leaking, spark plug wires 2,3,4, were melted into the head.

it took me about 45 mins just to get the wires off. in the end i was able to change 3 spark plugs and 3 wires. the bottom of the number 2 spark plug wire was melted onto the spark plug so i couldnt pull it out. (spark plug 2 has a **** wire and a **** plug)

no oil in the coolant from what i saw, and when i pulled the valve cover the oil was just burnt it wastn white or anything, i forgot about checking the tail pipe, but i didint notice any white smoke.

i filled the radiator, put the valve cover back on, and started her up. so now the car idles fine, but shes missing really bad on accleration. sounds and feels like a 2 stroke go kart or something.

i told me bro to take her to the shop and see if theyll do a free/cheap compression and leakdown and for him to write down all the info, so we could see what were gonna do. when i get that i will post it for some direction in what i shuold do. thanks guys
Old 10-05-2005, 05:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by djsire &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it turns out that he neverfilled the radiator he was filling the over fill tank. my finding also included, burnt oil(really stunk), water pump leaking, spark plug wires 2,3,4, were melted into the head.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm thinking that motor is toast. To get that hot, and run for however long without coolant can't be a good thing; especially if the oil varnished up all the parts. Get the tests done, but I'd start thinking about a backup plan.

Old 10-05-2005, 06:08 AM

well on the good side id have a motor to experiment/ dissasemble. i never opened one up before. plus i could do my first swap
Old 10-06-2005, 10:30 AM

bump just so i dont lose this post, for some reason i cant find my llast few post wheni search my user name, supposedly my bros geting the car checked out to day comp and leakdown, , i knew i shouldve put that motor in my rex
Old 10-07-2005, 04:53 AM

update= he took it to the shop
the mechanic pulled the spark plug remains in number 2, put in new bosch spark plugs/wires. now the car wont start!!! he says he thinks the dizzy took a shizzle. now im gota go pick one up form the yard. he also said he didint notice any white smoke so that the motor might be ok, an that it was missing because of the fried plug. what doyou guys think? this car is pissing me off lol
Old 10-07-2005, 06:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i love taking cars to shops to get something fixed....and magically something else gets broken in the process....

no efense to shop owners or people who work there...i just prefer to work on my own things...

as for your motor....if the wires were melted to your valve cover...in my eyes i'm assuimg you have an engine problem....that thing must of been toasting under the hood.......kick your brothers a$$
Old 10-07-2005, 06:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think your brother is an idiot.

To run the car to the point of getting so hot to melt the plugs into the head, your engine must of took some sort of damage. Good luck.
Old 10-07-2005, 06:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: i Need help, MY brother blew up my car???? theives and noobs!!!!!! (maxxd97)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by maxxd97 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think your brother is an idiot.

To run the car to the point of getting so hot to melt the plugs into the head, your engine must of took some sort of damage. Good luck.</TD></TR></TABLE>

-preach brother

if your motor was running that hot your motor would have had to be steaming some nasty shiz. maybe you should have taught your brother how a car works before u let him drive it. honestly he didn't even know where to put coolant in? thats sad.

what i wanna know is why u expected him to get a new radiator when he didn't even know where to add coolant.

good luck with your eg i hope it comes out okay
Old 10-07-2005, 06:49 AM

Default Re: i Need help, MY brother blew up my car???? theives and noobs!!!!!! (dogbiscuit)

i told him where to put it the coolant i showed him everythign in the enigne bay and what it does. but hes a fuckng retard. then he asks me if he puts the radiator in now will it be alrigth? i was gonna seriously expletive him up. well i got an offer for 700 for he shell already so when i get this dizzy ill know what the deal is,

and yeah i was like wtf now the dizzy not workin? he says that he thinks the ignitor blew cause of the way the number 2 spark plug was ghetto rigged. he said it was arching ? and that when he took the plug out smoke was coming out&gt;? funny thing it was working when my bro braught it in and now you "fixed it" but it wont turn over

btw the plugs werent melted in to the head, only the wires, also i pulled the new bosch plugs that were put in there and there all white and pointy, i never seen a plug look like that, i showed it to the mechanic and he said they were ok?

and how do youpist pics up here i want you guys to see
Old 10-08-2005, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

in my helms it shows pics of what the plugs are suppose to look like and its suppose to be a dry sandy brown color..correct me if i'm wrong....um...white is no good tho....i think that its running lean...i dono why...it would be..

/your mechanic...
Old 10-08-2005, 09:59 AM

just a quick thought. Take the ignition coil out of your distributor and look carefully at the metal fins on it. Look for an area where the fins have been spread apart a little. If the spark for the number two cylinder wasn't able to reach the spark plug, it will have to go somewhere and usually travels back down the sparkplug wire and out the metal fins on the coil. If i'm right, you'll see a small section on the fins that has been spread apart. this could have fried your coil. This usually happens when a sparkplug wire goes bad so it could apply to you.
Old 10-08-2005, 10:37 AM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Re: (coquitlamEG)

Never let your friends (or brother in this case) have your car or you girl or they'll throw a rod in both of em
Old 10-08-2005, 10:42 AM

I had a 88 civic, that was like 200$, cracked radiator + JB weld= dead car.

I was on a trip, so I drove it as far back to town as I could. Wasn't going to pay for a tow.

But yea, it finally just turned off on me, sputterd a bunch first, so If he didnt notice that, hes retarded. It was ciesed, hardcore.

make him pay for it.
Old 10-08-2005, 05:15 PM

Default Re: i Need help, MY brother blew up my car???? theives and noobs!!!!!! (Hondaciv95VX)

ureka!!!!!!! got a use dizzy for $100, car starts up on first crank, sounds good, and cracks vtec. drove around for a bout a half hour to see what would happen, it didint even ovrheat, but from visual inspection the water pump is leaking, so new water pump and timing belt.
can it be? THE HONDA LIVES!!!!
1. no coolant in oil
2. no oil in coolant
3. no liquids on the plugs
4. car idles and drives like stock

either god loves my brother, or this is the toughest sohc in the world, next to my d16a6 with 300k on the clock. do i hear vtec into the crx?

thanks fellas
and thanks to the dude who was saying to check the coil!!!

and the guy who posted above this same ****(radiator with jb weld)
Old 10-09-2005, 08:13 AM

right on man. I'm always amazed at how much abuse those single cams can take.