Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

i need help with my boosted b18c1 eg build!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i need help with my boosted b18c1 eg build!!

hi everyone. im new to all of this im only 16. ive done alot of research but i still have a few questions that i need help with. im trying to do a b18c1 swap on a 92 eg hatch. and i plan on boosting it to as high of boost that i safely can. ive been looking at parts but i dont know were to look for quality parts for a good price. i can list the parts i have found but i know this isnt all i need and it came out to $4010. someone help please. thanks alot (i found these parts on bisimoto.com except the skunk 2 cams)

81/81.75mm headgasket with open dowel holes
skunk 2 pro 1 cams
skunk 2 Wrinkle-coated Black Series B18C1 Intake Manifold
b series turbo/vtec spring and retainer kit
h beam rod set
81.5mm 9.0:1 compression forged pistons
intake heat sheilding gasket
1 gallon water/meth injection kit
universal fuel pressure regulator
s300 system (without ECU)
OBD1 ECU socketing
OBD1 p28 ECU (used)
b16, b18 cam adjustable cam gears

there has to be a place were i can get everything at a price i can afford but is quality. i have around 6k to spend. i still need an EMS. i dont know if the parts i listed are even necesary. if not can someone please list what is. and were to get it. also a good turbo kit. for a goal around 400+ whp. i know im asking for alot but i seriously need help. if i dont have enough can you tell me the the parts that are a nesecity until i make more money. thanks
Old 07-12-2011, 06:10 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: i need help with my boosted b18c1 eg build!!

YOU still have A LOT of research to do. I don't think you know what half of this stuff is supposed to do.

Go to goautoworks.com if you want a kit. I'm sure there are other places to go but that was the first one that came to mind. Bisimoto has got to be one of the more expensive places to get parts from. Quality yes, but it comes at a hefty price tag.

My advice is to find a local tuner with a good rep and start talking to them. They can guide you better and help cut through some of the confusion you obviously have right now.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

okay thanks man ill do that.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You should have A LOT of questions.
\
before you jump into a turbo car, try swapping in a b18b1/ls. learn the process, that way you are not throwing money at a futile cause. you have a lot of experience to gain. mind that 6 k will end up in half being labor. your realistic budget is 3. with purchasing an LS. you can still reliably turbo the LS for around 1200 for a good kit.

A type R would best suit you. no bolt ons for the moment. everybody wants a turbo car. i still have he y7 from my first turbo build. minus 1/2 one of the rods. where are you located.

as well, once you start putting money into your car, it will become a target. protect your investment against thieves. atleast a good alarm .
Old 07-12-2011, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by xero_xero
You should have A LOT of questions.
\
before you jump into a turbo car, try swapping in a b18b1/ls. learn the process, that way you are not throwing money at a futile cause. you have a lot of experience to gain. mind that 6 k will end up in half being labor. your realistic budget is 3. with purchasing an LS. you can still reliably turbo the LS for around 1200 for a good kit.

A type R would best suit you. no bolt ons for the moment. everybody wants a turbo car. i still have he y7 from my first turbo build. minus 1/2 one of the rods. where are you located.

as well, once you start putting money into your car, it will become a target. protect your investment against thieves. atleast a good alarm .
i live in jersey. monmouth county. noones going to do anything to my car im not worried about that. i just want a reliable pretty quick civic hatch. can you further explain what your trying to tell me to do please. and i really want to boost it. but what kind of power levels would what your telling me to do make? i appreciate the help man
Old 07-12-2011, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you seem to be focused on numbers and parts. you need to acquire the skill set of installing the engine properly, tuning, building internals. as far as power levels. a boosted stock ls will handle around 180-200 with a proper tune and a cam upgrade. run about 8lbs on a stock motor. mind, on LS/b20 motors the weak point is the oil pump. a lot of people on here are do it yourself. installing the engine is easy with or without an engine hoist, a braker bar, higher lift jack, and an 80 tool set from walmart.

Speak with RPM systems in Pookeepsie new york. Don is a great guy,m has an abundant of knowledge, epsecially v6 swapped civics.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you seem to be focused on numbers and parts. you need to acquire the skill set of installing the engine properly, tuning, building internals. as far as power levels. a boosted stock ls will handle around 180-200 with a proper tune and a cam upgrade. run about 8lbs on a stock motor. mind, on LS/b20 motors the weak point is the oil pump. a lot of people on here are do it yourself. installing the engine is easy with or without an engine hoist, a braker bar, higher lift jack, and an 80 tool set from walmart.

Speak with RPM systems in Pookeepsie new york. Don is a great guy,m has an abundant of knowledge, epsecially v6 swapped civics.
im looking for much more power than that though man. my grandfather is a master mechanic so i have no problem there. i just need to know a smart way to spend my money to make the power i want. ive talked to other people and they said it was possible. and i can research more to build internals thats not the hard part. the hard part is finding parts for my budget that can work to my advantage
Old 07-12-2011, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it would take me about a week, or about 4 hourst strait, to find a proper parts list, with locations the parts can be acquired.

for 6k. you can have 270 out of the box with a stock honda mtor. get a full parts list oup of what you would like, we shall price compare on the most cost effective place to purchase.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow i would really appreciate that man thank you. and thats the thing. what should i look for? and for what engine? which engine would make that much power out of the box for 6k?
Old 07-12-2011, 11:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i say you should do the motor swap then some simple bolt-ons with a good tune and you will be good untill you get used to the car then do the full build the way you want to
Old 07-13-2011, 01:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i am trying to convince him of that, but he has resources from the beginnning that we do not.

*** far as the swap goes, a j series has a base model mdx engine that puts out 270. itis a supercharged engine from the factory.

but as far as which motor you would want to pick it for, you want the GSR b18c1 vtec. the motos are expensive in themselvers unless you have already acquired one.

get a full list of everyhting you would like to replace.

Arp head studs are a given. arp rod bolts are another.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so which swap should i do the GSR or the j series? and what basic bolt ons should i do? with the j series would i be able to make go power when i start to build on it? i think i am going to do the sawp and simple bolt ons until i get use to it. but when i do start to build on it. i still dont know what parts to get or were. and when it comes to the j series. i have no idea were to get parts for that
Old 07-13-2011, 08:31 AM
The Grumpiest

J-series has GOT to be the most difficult of the swaps to do and not all of them are able to be swapped as easily (if at all) as other J-series. You'll be in waaaay over your head if you attempt to tackle this one. Also start looking for a custom hood or run with an ugly gaping hole as the engine DOES NOT clear the hood.

I'd go K-series if your pockets are that deep. Check out k20a.org.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have 6 grand to spend. whats the best choice for my power goal? should i do the gsr swap and get use to it and then use my left over money later on to build on it. or should i spend all of my money and do a k or j series swap ?
Old 07-13-2011, 08:58 AM
The Grumpiest

I always say get the biggest engine with the most horsepower that you can afford. This would include getting it installed. If you're not a handy person plan on spending a LOT of money.

At 16 I don't see how you have much driving experience under your belt to be able to even say how much car you can handle at this point.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have help on installing it i just need help on which engine to get. should i get the k20 with all of my money and while im saving up to build on it i can use that time to get use to it?? and ive been driving for a few years with my family letting me get behind the wheel every now and than so im a pretty good driver. but your right i dont know how much i can handle. but theres only one way to find out. i need the car first. well the engine. and thats where your help comes in
Old 07-13-2011, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i am trying to convince him of that, but he has resources from the beginnning that we do not.

*** far as the swap goes, a j series has a base model mdx engine that puts out 270. itis a supercharged engine from the factory.

but as far as which motor you would want to pick it for, you want the GSR b18c1 vtec. the motos are expensive in themselvers unless you have already acquired one.

get a full list of everyhting you would like to replace.

Arp head studs are a given. arp rod bolts are another.
i have 6 grand to spend. whats the best choice for my power goal and price range? should i do the gsr swap and get use to it and then use my left over money later on to build on it. or should i spend all of my money and do a k or j series swap ?
Old 07-13-2011, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
J-series has GOT to be the most difficult of the swaps to do and not all of them are able to be swapped as easily (if at all) as other J-series. You'll be in waaaay over your head if you attempt to tackle this one. Also start looking for a custom hood or run with an ugly gaping hole as the engine DOES NOT clear the hood.

I'd go K-series if your pockets are that deep. Check out k20a.org.
incorrect. uninformed. you spend the same on a k series as you do a j series.

spend your money on a k series. you will be happier over all. after-market support is there. here. now.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

okay ill do that. thanks man. how much can i get the complete swap for?
Old 07-13-2011, 06:14 PM
The Grumpiest

incorrect. uninformed. you spend the same on a k series as you do a j series.

spend your money on a k series. you will be happier over all. after-market support is there. here. now.
No where did I say a J-series was more expensive. Hardly incorrect OR misinformed. I said it was a more difficult swap than a K and the OP will be left with a gaping hole in the hood.

On top of that I actually RECOMMENDED the OP go with a K swap.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

incorrect. misinformed. 3rd gen hasport mounts clear an oem hood. k swap is the same a j swap. you have 2 more injectors to wire for, and iab depending on motor.

there is a complete ep3 si for 1500. heard the motor run last nite. text me if you are interested. k swaps may be more refined, but J series are the swap. they are like what the b16 used to be.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

incorrect. misinformed. 3rd gen hasport mounts clear an oem hood. k swap is the same a j swap. you have 2 more injectors to wire for, and iab depending on motor.

there is a complete ep3 si for 1500. heard the motor run last nite. text me if you are interested. k swaps may be more refined, but J series are the swap. they are like what the b16 used to be.
is the aftermarket support as good for the j series as it is for the k series? because i want to end up doing engine work and doesnt that come supercharged? would i be able to get as much power with that as i would with a turbo on the k20? youve been so much help for me so far i appreciate this so much. and would that still be for sale around the middle of next month?
Old 07-13-2011, 11:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do a simpler swap first. Inevitably, something goes wrong. It may be something little that doesn't matter, or you may end up having to spend a few hundred on parts you didn't plan on.

I just finished a GSR turbo swap into a Civic and it was fairly simple, just a lot of little snags along the way. The manifold I bought from AFI turbo is causing most of them. The manifold is really close to the left hole for the upper power steering bracket, so I have to make one if I want to run power steering, or I have to wait for fittings to loop my lines. The downpipe I bought didn't fit, so I had to build a new one. The wastegate didn't fit, so I had to make an adapter to relocate it. My clutch line was broken, but I thankfully had another hose to use. My resistor box wouldn't bolt up anywhere, so I made a new bracket for it. The A pillar gauge pod I bought won't fit, so I am making a new pod to replace my middle air vent. My tie rod ends were shot. The brake calipers on the knuckles I swapped on were seized, so I had to find different calipers to be able to use the EX knuckles I swapped on. My oil feed flange/restricter hits the bolt attaching my turbo to the manifold, and I want to keep my turbo clocked correctly, so I had to grind the bracket down a bit.

There are problems like the wastegate not fitting that if you didn't have access to a welder, you'd have no way of getting around it. I would highly suggest against anything other than a naturally aspirated B or D series. Once you get that swapped in and running, learn more and turbo that. You can make some decent power on a stock block.

And your goal of 400hp isn't unatainable, but why 400? A stock GSR engine makes 170 and in a CX hatch, it's a fun daily driver and gets awesome gas mileage.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NotAJDMFanBoy
Do a simpler swap first. Inevitably, something goes wrong. It may be something little that doesn't matter, or you may end up having to spend a few hundred on parts you didn't plan on.

I just finished a GSR turbo swap into a Civic and it was fairly simple, just a lot of little snags along the way. The manifold I bought from AFI turbo is causing most of them. The manifold is really close to the left hole for the upper power steering bracket, so I have to make one if I want to run power steering, or I have to wait for fittings to loop my lines. The downpipe I bought didn't fit, so I had to build a new one. The wastegate didn't fit, so I had to make an adapter to relocate it. My clutch line was broken, but I thankfully had another hose to use. My resistor box wouldn't bolt up anywhere, so I made a new bracket for it. The A pillar gauge pod I bought won't fit, so I am making a new pod to replace my middle air vent. My tie rod ends were shot. The brake calipers on the knuckles I swapped on were seized, so I had to find different calipers to be able to use the EX knuckles I swapped on. My oil feed flange/restricter hits the bolt attaching my turbo to the manifold, and I want to keep my turbo clocked correctly, so I had to grind the bracket down a bit.

There are problems like the wastegate not fitting that if you didn't have access to a welder, you'd have no way of getting around it. I would highly suggest against anything other than a naturally aspirated B or D series. Once you get that swapped in and running, learn more and turbo that. You can make some decent power on a stock block.

And your goal of 400hp isn't unatainable, but why 400? A stock GSR engine makes 170 and in a CX hatch, it's a fun daily driver and gets awesome gas mileage.
thanks alot for the advice. and yeah your right about all of that. but what if i can find a k20 in a junkyard or something for the same price i would pay for a GSR engine? i would have money left over to fix all of the problems that might go wrong. but then again they might not. and i wanted my car to be a daily driver that i can take the the strip and whoop some *** on the weekends. thats why i want that much power.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Th j series swaps are stil building support. they do sell stand alone ecus now. aftermarket intake manifolds, headers, and forums are there, just not in abundance. there ar a good many shops that have helped as well.

as far as the si goes, there is no telling. its pretty cheap, and it is complete.

Quick Reply: i need help with my boosted b18c1 eg build!!