Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

I need help finding a new clutch for my honda civic hatchback 1997

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 04:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need help finding a new clutch for my honda civic hatchback 1997

I have a 1997 honda civic hatchback with a 2001 prelude h22 engine, 5-speed, it runs less than 200hp and recently the clutch has not been fully engaging into gear. At times i have to push in the clutch again and accelerate in order to get speed, or else the car just stays idle. i’m new to this so this is very strange and it never happened before. At the same time it also feels a tiny bit rough when putting the car into 1st gear and when putting the car into reverse, the shifter doesn’t go all the way in. i need help or any bit of advice, THANK YOU!
Old 03-18-2019, 05:52 AM
I like the tuna here

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: I need help finding a new clutch for my honda civic hatchback 1997

So when you let out the clutch in order to start moving, the clutch doesn't grab? Your second issue (going into gear rough) makes me think you might have air in the clutch line or low fluid. Regardless, Exedy makes good clutches for stock-ish HP.
Old 03-18-2019, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It only happens sometimes when i’m already moving changing into 2nd gear and up. i’ve asked a couple people about it and they say it could be a two-step clutch or something like that but i doubt it since it’s never done that. And also i hope that’s the case because for now replacing the fluid or removing the air could save me some bucks for now. andd you have any recommendations for a good fly wheel to go with that clutch? i was thinking an aluminum flywheel to cut some weight on a already heavy h22 motor, plus my intentions are to have a street/race car so i think that’s the better option???? i just want some more insight. )
Old 03-18-2019, 08:39 AM
I like the tuna here

In my experience, if your clutch is burnt up, it will be much more likely to slip in first gear because your car isn't moving. Once it's moving, the inertia is of it in motion is helping your clutch to keep your car moving. So if it's happening in 2nd mostly, I would suspect something other than a burnt clutch. Try bleeding the clutch line at the slave cylinder and see if that helps at all.

Exedy also makes good flywheels, I have their 8.8lb chromoly flywheel in my LSVTEC right now and I like it. Bear in mind that you're removing rotational inertia from the engine, which has advantages and disadvantages. You will have to rev the engine higher to move, and burnouts will be harder because there's less weight to shock the drivetrain with. The engine has to move less mass to get the revs up, so it will get there faster, but at the same time, once it gets there, it has less to work with, if that makes sense.
Personally I like it, but overall I don't think it is super helpful.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kiklobonjee
i’ve asked a couple people about it and they say it could be a two-step clutch or something
Bad advice lol. I’d start with a flush of the transmission, and bleeding the clutch line. Making sure their is no air in the lines. Then go from there
Old 03-18-2019, 11:54 AM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by DumpdEJ6
In my experience, if your clutch is burnt up, it will be much more likely to slip in first gear because your car isn't moving. Once it's moving, the inertia is of it in motion is helping your clutch to keep your car moving. So if it's happening in 2nd mostly, I would suspect something other than a burnt clutch. Try bleeding the clutch line at the slave cylinder and see if that helps at all.

Exedy also makes good flywheels, I have their 8.8lb chromoly flywheel in my LSVTEC right now and I like it. Bear in mind that you're removing rotational inertia from the engine, which has advantages and disadvantages. You will have to rev the engine higher to move, and burnouts will be harder because there's less weight to shock the drivetrain with. The engine has to move less mass to get the revs up, so it will get there faster, but at the same time, once it gets there, it has less to work with, if that makes sense.
Too add to this on the lightened flywheel. The lighter flywheel is good for acceleration but worse for fuel economy. RPM and car slows down quite a bit faster with the light flywheel. I saw a 2-3 mpg drop in avg fuel economy with I replaced my 2008 Civic Si with the Exedy racing flywheel and stock clutch kit.

Old 03-18-2019, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DumpdEJ6

yeah i’ll try that to see if i have any air in my clutch lines, i was driving my car today and it is happening way more often. Sometimes i have to even put in the clutch and accelerate about 5 times to even get the car going in 2nd or 3rd gear. it’s getting worse little by little and when it happens the check engine light turns on.

and yeah it makes sense, pretty much it’ll just accelerate faster but won’t add HP?? That’s where im getting at lol
Old 03-18-2019, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

OK if the clutch is bad or the transmission is not in gear, the rpms will shoot up when you hit the gas but the car doesn't go.

If the rpms don't come up then there is a different problem. The check engine light coming on suggests you may actually have an engine problem. A bad clutch or transmission won't make the light come on.
Old 03-19-2019, 04:00 AM
I like the tuna here

^^^ That's true. OP, get the code checked first, then go from there. You should have mentioned in the original post that the check engine light comes on, that's literally your car telling you what is wrong.