Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

I need help with an A/C job

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need help with an A/C job

I have a 1994 honda civic ex with a 1.6 engine. The A/C compressor it came with had a huge hole so I replaced it. I vacuumed the empty system for about half an hour and then closed the gauges in the manifold and waited for another 30 minutes to make sure there was no leaks in the system. I can see under the hood that I need to put 17.6 to 19.4 oz of refrigerant so I got a 14 oz can and a 3 oz can (the only other size I could find was 22oz and I have no way to measure how much I'm putting in it so I think it would be best to be slightly lower than overcharging by a lot). I filled my system through the low side and the gauges show 95psi on the low side and 100psi on the high side. I'm not sure but I think my low side might be a little high. The air from the vents is still coming out hot and when I try to unhook the low side I get a leak so I've had to leave the hose on for now.
This is my first time doing this and I don't know what could be the problem here. I would really appreciate someone's help on this. Thank you in advance.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: I need help with an A/C job

Is the compressor engaging properly? I don't have the specs memorized but I don't believe low side pressure should be over 35psi. Since the system was "open" for so long did you replace the receiver/dryer?
Old 07-23-2014, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The fan was kicking in and I could feel the change in the engine when the compressor would kick in. The only thing I replaced was the compressor. Do you think the high pressure on the low side could be what is causing it to leak refrigerant when I try to take the hose off?
Old 07-23-2014, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's possible, I don't know what kind of equipment you're using or I would suggest reclaiming what's in the system and then adding the appropriate amount back in. 95psi is really high for the low side. I would suggest replacing the receiver/dryer, as it acts more or less as a sponge to absorb moisture and contaminants and after extended periods of time with a leak in the system it will become clogged - which could be causing your excessive pressure as well as the hot air coming out the vents. Ordinarily the receiver would be replaced any time the system is opened. On my car I went through a similar situation because I didn't replace it, only mine was just a lack of cooling (53 degree vent temp with an 80 degree ambient temp)
Old 07-23-2014, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a vacuum and one of those manifolds with a gauge for each side and 3 hose connections at the bottom. I don't have what I would need to take the refrigerant out and store it. I see that the exhaust hole of my vacuum has thread so I'm guessing some kind of hose can be hooked up to it that would go to a refrigerant tank. I thought vacuuming evaporated all the water or moisture in the system, wouldn't that get rid of all the moisture from the receiver/dryer?
Old 07-23-2014, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Unfortunately no, it gets most moisture out of the lines but the dryer collects any junk in the system like a filter. As far as your gauges I understand what you have now...a gauge and hose for each the high/low sides, as well as an input, and one hose looped around, which would go to an evacuation tank. How much refrigerant did you successfully put in the system? If not a lot I would cut my losses and bleed it back out and install a new dryer, I know it's a pain but it's the only option I can see.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm guessing about 15oz since I can feel a bit left in the can. So my drier should be the cause of the high pressure in the low side? the refrigerant is not too bad since it's about $15, but I feel a little bad for the environment.
I was reading online that it could also be the Expansion Valve. Do you think that is possible? or is the high pressure on the low side a clear indication that it is my drier? Thank you for all the help.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

1) The compressor blew and like an explosion it spread tiny metal shards throughout the entire system.

2) Have the refrigerant you added recovered by a shop.

3) When the compressor blows, you must replace it as well as the condenser, evaporator, and expansion valve, and receiver dryer.

4) You must also thoroughly flush the A/C system lines/hoses to completely remove all the compressor death debris.

5) Then install the new components, including the receiver/dryer and vacuum the system.

6) Add the specified amount of oil (see service manual) and recharge with refrigerant by weight using a scale.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you for the very detailed explanation. I will follow your advise. When you say flush lines hoses, do you mean with water? or is there a special liquid to clean them?
Old 07-23-2014, 10:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showp...7&postcount=11

http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showp...0&postcount=12
Old 07-24-2014, 06:51 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
1) The compressor blew and like an explosion it spread tiny metal shards throughout the entire system.

2) Have the refrigerant you added recovered by a shop.

3) When the compressor blows, you must replace it as well as the condenser, evaporator, and expansion valve, and receiver dryer.

4) You must also thoroughly flush the A/C system lines/hoses to completely remove all the compressor death debris.

5) Then install the new components, including the receiver/dryer and vacuum the system.

6) Add the specified amount of oil (see service manual) and recharge with refrigerant by weight using a scale.
I agree with everything Ron has stated here with the exception or replacing the evaporator. You should be able to back flush, force solvent threw the suction line out towards the condenser, the evaporator and have it functioning properly. The evaporator is not comprised with as narrow of passages as the condenser and this is why a flush is effective. If this specific Honda has a history of not being able to successfully back flush the system, would someone please state so.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:04 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post