Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

i need all input on tokico hp's (aka blues)

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i need all input on tokico hp's (aka blues)

aright. im kinda feelin that koni yellows are just overkill for my desires. my civics a dd and occasionally, there will be 5 people in the car. also, its going to be a street car. couple times a year to the track just to see what kinda numbers i can pull off. also, im not that much of a crazy driver so im only going to take corners hard every now and then.

so now that u know what i want, i need some input on the tokico hp's (aka tokico blues). i dunno if they'll be good. ive heard they're pretty much like oem replacements. the fact is, they are not. but also, the fact is, they aren't high performing shocks ie - illuminas and koni yellows. so i see them as average shocks. i will be riding on eibach pro-kit springs (1.5/1.3 drop).

so i need all input on a tokico hp + eibach pro-kit setup. but more on tokico hp's. will the ride be too hard/soft? will cornering not be improved too much with this setup? koni yellows are just overkill since i wont be a hardcore suspension/auto x freak.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: i need all input on tokico hp's (amej8)

served me good for 3+yrs
Old 05-02-2006, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: i need all input on tokico hp's (96dxpower)

doesn't really help me out on driving differences. how was the ride? soft/hard? feel every bump in the road? bounce everywhere? what car did u use this setup with? how was cornering?

need more info
Old 05-03-2006, 08:35 AM

All I have to say is I have skunk 2 coil over with stock shock and it bump like hell and I killed all my four shock withed one month because I drop my car 4 inches, then I when and bought the Tokico blue shock, then the ride became stiff and it will not bump or hop like crazy anymore.It over 4 year now and the shock is still good but it became soft but did not blow on me yet.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by amej8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">doesn't really help me out on driving differences. how was the ride? soft/hard? feel every bump in the road? bounce everywhere? what car did u use this setup with? how was cornering?

need more info </TD></TR></TABLE>

my friends brother had this on his SiR.. or American Si

Unbelivable handling, I don't know how it's comparable with OEM lol

The ride was pretty harsh, but its also dropped 2inches... so..

I would recommend them, I'm planning on getting them when I do suspension.. unless I can fork over enough money for somem tiens
Old 05-03-2006, 08:48 AM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: i need all input on tokico hp's (G2 Speed)

i ride on them and its straight for what you want.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: i need all input on tokico hp's (G2 Speed)

They are a slight improvement over OEM, barely stiffer.... If you are looking for a slight upgrade from OEM & the HP's interest you, I'd suggest the KYB GR2. It is in the same league as the Tokico, but in my experience they ride a bit more consistently & have lasted longer than the HP's. What kind of springs/coils will you be using?

EDIT: NM, you said the springs. With either of these shocks (HP or GR2) you will get premature wear since they weren't designed for lowered/stiffer cars, but the GR2's were in great shape after a few years on my old hatch that was lowered about the same on Neuspeed sport springs...
Old 05-03-2006, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: i need all input on tokico hp's (aquabob89)

yeah my cars just a daily driver and im only going to take corners hard. im not gonna auto x, go to the track, etc. just a street use car.

as long as its a lil stiffer than what i got, it'll make me happy. oh yeah and ill be lowered on eibach pro-kit springs to back up the tokico blues
Old 05-03-2006, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Tein SS all the way
Old 05-03-2006, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: i need all input on tokico hp's (DJ_SaNdOz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DJ_SaNdOz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">They are a slight improvement over OEM, barely stiffer.... If you are looking for a slight upgrade from OEM & the HP's interest you, I'd suggest the KYB GR2. It is in the same league as the Tokico, but in my experience they ride a bit more consistently & have lasted longer than the HP's. What kind of springs/coils will you be using?

EDIT: NM, you said the springs. With either of these shocks (HP or GR2) you will get premature wear since they weren't designed for lowered/stiffer cars, but the GR2's were in great shape after a few years on my old hatch that was lowered about the same on Neuspeed sport springs...</TD></TR></TABLE>

well my car will be lowered about 1.5inches. not a big upgrade but lowER than stock. and i wont be doing a motor swap for a good 5 years or juicing so its not like ill have a bad *** motor to back me up on the roads. its going to be a pure dd street use car so it would be pointless to wreck the suspension by doing s curves all day. there never be auto x'ing, dragging at the track, etc. im only going to enjoy the suspension occasionally.