Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

I just called American Honda about 96-97 CIVIC RECALLS(You get free TuneUp)

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96-97 CIVIC RECALL (You get free TuneUp) ************UPDATE**********

I just called American Honda because of an earlier thread about recalls and emissions. Come to find out, they gave me this information. My car is a 1996 honda civic HB and they have a recall for emissions parts. They will give any owner(doesn't matter if your the first owner or 10th owner) of 1996-1997 Honda civics, all models, a FREE Tune-up, which includes spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and any other defective part which is part of emissions(before catalytic converter), including 02 sensors. This recall is good for any cars between the miles of 0-150,000 miles and before 14 years of production date. You can call up any local dealership and schedule an appointment to have this taken care of. Do not let them give you the runaround and tell them you already talked to Honda of America and they gave you all information regarding this recall.

I first called my local Honda service department and asked them about the recall and they gave me the runaround, which i expected, because this would tie up their service department and not make any money. I asked them if it covered 02 sensors and he said "NO". I swear... local Honda dealers can be shady because they don't want to lose money. After calling the local Honda dealership, I then called Honda America and they were very helpful to give me all pertinent information and update my information for future recalls or information.

I recently had my check engine light go on and took it to my friends shop. He told me it was the 02 sensor before the catalytic converter. He said it wouldn't hurt the car much but to have it replaced when I had the money. Well, i'm glad i held off on it because all sensors are covered also before the catalytic converter.

If you want to check for yourselves here is the number to Honda of America
1-800-999-1009

I hope this thread helps you guys as much as it is going to help me. This may be a repost and I am sorry for that if it is. But this information should be kept on top of the thread if possible for all 1996-1997 honda civic owners.

BUMP if you read for others to be informed

UPDATE******
took my car in on 12/9/05 and I got a new catalytic converter, o2 sensor, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and tps sensor. All was covered by extended warranty/recall. Just to remind you, if your car is not throwing any codes and sensors are okay... this will not be replaced unless it is messed up. I'm happy about my free parts!!!

Modified by sokdo321 at 8:48 PM 12/10/2005
Old 04-13-2005, 11:53 AM

Default Re: I just called American Honda about 96-97 CIVIC RECALLS(You get free TuneUp) (sokdo321)

Nice, wish I had a 96 civic now, free O2 sensor, those things go for like 80 bucks right? And a free tune up with Honda OEM parts, has to be nice.
Old 04-13-2005, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is it only for the 96-97? what about the 92-95 civics?
Old 04-13-2005, 01:04 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (95civickid)

Awesome. I think I'll scream at the honda I got to when I get my free 40 point inspection done tomorrow about this too. I think I'm gonna keep my new plugs, wires, cap, and rotor though. (I just did a tune-up myself)
Old 04-13-2005, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (95civickid)

like i said !! good job calling though..

i just got mine done on monday i got plugs, distributor cap, rotor and wires..

they only give you other stuff if the check engine light is on.. so unless your cel is on you wont get a free o2 sensor..

Old 04-13-2005, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (konigturbocivic)

yea... my 02 sensor is bad... so yea... i'll be getting what you got and a new 02 sensor. thanks to HT!!! and a lil investigating....

Everyone Jump On This!!!!
Old 04-13-2005, 01:21 PM
'

damn, i just hit 155K miles...

anyways you think they'll change my rotors/cap for free even though I'm Greddy turbo'd ???

i dunt wanna walk in there and they be like "sorry, you're ***** too fast and furious for us....."
Old 04-13-2005, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Pure3D)

yeah, i'm scared to have any honda mechanic look under my hood, i'm afraid they wouldnt let me leave... heh. thats what an illegal obd1 conversion, turbo kit, no cat, etc will do for ya.
Old 04-13-2005, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I just called American Honda about 96-97 CIVIC RECALLS(You get free TuneUp) (sokdo321)

good info, but isnt this old news?

there's been threads about free 40pt inspections and tune-ups all week.
Old 04-13-2005, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I just called American Honda about 96-97 CIVIC RECALLS(You get free TuneUp) (jL iLLuZiOnz 9)

This is not for an inspection. This is for a free tune-up, which includes cap, rotor, plugs, wires and sensors if your 02 sensors are not functioning and causes check engine light.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

for the guys asking if they will do it with turbo kits..

the guys at the dealer told me that since i had a turbo it was not under warranty but they will do it anyways..

they must have been slow and wanted some warranty work to get some hours..

give it a shot at your dealer. they might hook you up since its a free thing..
Old 04-13-2005, 03:11 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by konigturbocivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">for the guys asking if they will do it with turbo kits..

the guys at the dealer told me that since i had a turbo it was not under warranty but they will do it anyways..

they must have been slow and wanted some warranty work to get some hours..

give it a shot at your dealer. they might hook you up since its a free thing.. </TD></TR></TABLE>
cool i was wondering if it was a good idea to bring in a jdm b series swap in for this free tune up
Old 04-13-2005, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

this is sweet for all Ek owners. just one question for sokdo321 why do you assume all local dealerships are trying to run you around? I am not bashing just curious, maybe you had a bad experience. reason also for asking is its in the best interest of the dealership to complete any recall outstanding since they get paid by honda to complete this. they dont lose anything. They might not get the same labour amount on warranty as a regular customer pay but still the same they get paid and are generally happy to do so. I know this cuz i work as a warranty admin at a local honda dealership and i even run every car that we see through the honda webbase to see if there is any outstanding recalls so we can complete them.
there is times when Honda doesnt give us any info. there is times when the customer knows more of these details then we do, and all we can do is research it to help you out. again this isnt trying to burn you or cause drama i just have a major pet pieve against people who think every dealership is shady.

Modified by jameskersten1 at 12:35 AM 4/14/2005
Old 04-13-2005, 03:23 PM

Default Re: I just called American Honda about 96-97 CIVIC RECALLS(You get free TuneUp) (JDM B16 EK)

I will look into this...this is news to me so thanks for the heads up
Old 04-13-2005, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I just called American Honda about 96-97 CIVIC RECALLS(You get free TuneUp) (JDM B16 EK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95civickid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is it only for the 96-97? what about the 92-95 civics?</TD></TR></TABLE>
i would like to know that too.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: I just called American Honda about 96-97 CIVIC RECALLS(You get free TuneUp) (kaiba)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kaiba &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i would like to know that too.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Every single thread on this includes someone asking about 92-95, 96-00, 01-04, etc. Each time it's been spelled out, clear as day.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sokdo321 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">1996-1997 Honda civics, all models</TD></TR></TABLE>

That seems crystal clear to me.

The recall deals with Honda's initial ODB-2 system, which is present on 1996 & 1997 vehicles. It had severe problems. When I had my first emissions check they couldn't perform an OBD-based check, they had to use tailpipe tests. My second one last year worked fine, but as I'd been using the dealership for all routine maintenance they must've snuck something in.

It extends beyond Civics, my Del Sol is covered by the same program. AFAIK pretty much everything is covered except the Isuzu-derived Passport. But only for 1996 and 1997 models. Nothing else.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:49 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: I just called American Honda about 96-97 CIVIC RECALLS(You get free TuneUp) (MonkeyBoy668)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sokdo321 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> This recall is good for any cars between the miles of 0-150,000 miles
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Are u serious?! That sucks *** man My car has 198,xxx Miles. Damnit thats hella whack.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:55 PM

Default Re: (L337HXR)

This came about like 2 years ago....had mine all done just to be safe. Nice having father working for Honda. I get all the updates.
Old 04-13-2005, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yay for free stuff
Old 04-13-2005, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

good stuff. maybe i should throw in the spark plugs & wires i just swapped out and get new ones for free from honda...
Old 04-13-2005, 07:08 PM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MiMiK)

Nice I'm going in. How do I schedule the appointment, just pull in the dealership or I got to call places to do that ****?
Old 04-13-2005, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MiMiK)

Has anyone gotten it done yet?
Old 04-13-2005, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

awesome! so what if i take in my turbo 96 civic in? will they still give me a free tune up or if i had aftermarket equiptment?
Old 04-14-2005, 12:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I just called American Honda about 96-97 CIVIC RECALLS(You get free TuneUp) (project civic)

In reply to a question from above, i was bashing the local dealership because the guy that helped me didn't know crap about this recall and then when he finally researched it and called me back like 2 hours later, he still told me that the 02 sensors were not included. During the time he was doing his research, i called American Honda and was informed that it was included. I told this to the service desk clerk that was helping me and he said that he would have to do "further" research into this even after I told him that I had called American Honda myself about this recall.

I don't ever goto dealers and perform all routine maintenance myself because dealers rip you off with their outrageous prices. I know most people depend on dealerships for all of their maintenance and I just laugh when they tell me when they paid $500 to change their brakes or change their plugs/wires/cap/rotor and air filter and got charged $600.

I know if I went to the dealership to get my recall fixed, I wouldn't have gotten what I was entitled to. You would think they get paid to give good customer service and be knowledgeable about these automobiles which we depend on everyday.

I just don't like getting raped by dealerships and their prices and to top it all off, bad customer service.

Just my 2 cents and my own opinion.
Old 04-14-2005, 12:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i don't think you understood me.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jL iLLuZiOnz 9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">there's been threads about free 40pt inspections, and tune-ups all week.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Quick Reply: I just called American Honda about 96-97 CIVIC RECALLS(You get free TuneUp)