Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

I have a stock 1995 1.5 Del Sol with a blown HG no water in oil, but overheating?

Old 01-10-2018, 12:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have a stock 1995 1.5 Del Sol with a blown HG no water in oil, but overheating?

Where can I get the stock OEM HG... I'm just a daily driver who loves my old faithful Honda and want to save her life... HELP?
Old 01-10-2018, 01:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I have a stock 1995 1.5 Del Sol with a blown HG no water in oil, but overheating?

Is Hondapartsnow.com any good, or is there a better faster delivery and less expensive option?
Old 01-10-2018, 01:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I have a stock 1995 1.5 Del Sol with a blown HG no water in oil, but overheating?

Is is possible to find a JDM 1.5 import that's the same as my stock 1.5?
Old 01-10-2018, 01:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

BF took out thermostat but it still eventually overheats if I'm not on the freeway and and my temp gauge stays in cold until water runs low. I just keep adding water and praying for a fix. Could the HG be replace and is the head cracked? If I fill it up with water and am careful I can drive 50 miles easy before I need to add water. It overheated once a month ago and this started. I could drive it until without overheating until he took the mechanical thermostat out... He said he cut it so the water would flows freely. I've been told it's a blown HG and to take the head off have it checked and get the OEM HG and replace the head of OK... Is it that easy, or is it really going to be better for someone like me to just find a replacement engine? I'm not afraid to get dirty, we changed the transmission and both cvs ourselves in a few hours 3 years ago. Even though they all look like they just unclick, Which would be easier and more sure to last HG, or used engine swap? I just look at all those wires on the engine and worry and I hear horror stories about the HG blowing again right after changing it. I'm just worried sick
Old 01-10-2018, 03:48 AM
I like the tuna here

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you do it correctly, it will not leak after. Even doing it yourself will cost you around $300, depending on whether you replace timing belt/water pump at the same time (you probably should). Get the head checked and possibly skimmed at a reputable machine shop. That is a CRITICAL part of the job, people don't want to pay because "it might be good". I don't like to do jobs twice and there's a lot that can be replaced while you're in there, so when I replace a head gasket, I replace valve stem seals, (often the valve stems on the exhaust side are worn, that sucks because it's like an extra $100 but it depends...if it's fairly low mileage, I'd do it...front crank seal, timing belt, water pump, tensioner pully, accessory belts, intake manifold gasket, etc.

Get a Helms manual and just take it one step at a time. If you've never changed one before, plan on it taking 1-2 days to take off, 1-2 days at the machine shop, and 1-2 days to put back together. Bag and Tag every bolt and bracket that comes off! You may think you'll remember what goes where, but you won't, lol. Using a torque wrench and putting oil on the head bolts is critical to torque the head back down.

Again, if you follow all the instructions to the letter, you should have no problem.
Old 01-10-2018, 04:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you so much DumpdEJ6, I feel a lil better after reading what you wrote. I've been watching youtube diy's but most either don't pertain to my model, or it's people taking awful looking shortcuts. I just ordered the japan OEM HG from hondapartsnow.com and a felpro intake gasket. I figure if the intake fails we can fix that easy later. I'm spending my money on the open heart surgery, not minor cuts such as intake. I made sure to get a real honda head gasket. I'm going to get the copper spray and have ordered new head bolts because I hear the old ones will be not be good to use again. The head will be taken to the shop to be tested and smoothed. Someone on youtube showed how you can take a big long flat piece of this formica countertop board and lightly sand the block for better sealing... Is that good/bad, or even necessary? The water pump and timing belt were just changed a short while ago by a real mechanic I paid parts and lot's begging. Thank you again for replying so quickly. I've read this blog for years but have been afraid to bug you racing guys with my old del slow lol. My guy really tries and he means well, but I have to watch him, help him and make sure he does it right. I think I get more dirty than he does most of the time. This is a huge job for me so I'm very grateful for your advice.

Coletta
Old 01-10-2018, 04:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I got an OEM "Ishino Gasket" from Hondapartsnow.com
Old 01-10-2018, 05:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Is it true I could maybe reuse the exhaust gasket until I have the money to replace it. I'm really doing this on a shoestring. I hope I'm not insulting you guys with all these questions.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I just joined, but I've been reading you guys blog for years. I love all these wonderful beautiful Hondas you guys build. I refuse to own any car other than a Honda. I wish I could make mine a lil more JDM as you guy say. But, I'd better just stick to keeping the bf read before he does things. I kinda read and help him to do the work and then when I get mad I just do it when he's not looking and then he pouts lol. But I think I'm going to do a lot more reading for the next few days on this, I have a the haynes I bought when I got my car almost ten years ago. Do you think it's OK for this sorta thing? I've used highlighter in the book for all the things I've done to the car myself. That way I know how much work I've done with no help. I kinda take a lotta pride in my Thelma... that's her name
Old 01-10-2018, 05:34 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

It's best to get the actual HELMS Manual. You can even download it. Haynes is much too generic and doesn't cover all of the bases.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Slow leak you can try a so called "gasket slap." That's where you take the head off, clean the gasket surfaces thoroughy, put in a new gasket and reuse everything except the head gasket itself. I use the OEM type Felpro gasket which can be bought at any parts store for about $30. You can always go back and replace timing belt etc after you're sure the engine is OK.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon5 Re: I have a stock 1995 1.5 Del Sol with a blown HG no water in oil, but overheating?

Originally Posted by TheShodan
It's best to get the actual HELMS Manual. You can even download it. Haynes is much too generic and doesn't cover all of the bases.
Where? I've been looking and it seems there's nothing for 95 Civic, or Del Sol?
Old 01-10-2018, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mk378
Slow leak you can try a so called "gasket slap." That's where you take the head off, clean the gasket surfaces thoroughy, put in a new gasket and reuse everything except the head gasket itself. I use the OEM type Felpro gasket which can be bought at any parts store for about $30. You can always go back and replace timing belt etc after you're sure the engine is OK.
i recently changed the head gasket on my d16y8, and this is pretty much what i did. of course after i finished i had to take the timing belt back off and change the water pump. but that’s kind of the beauty of doing less. it might work, and i only spent 150 bones probably.if you have tools, and have a few freeish days, i think you should clean up the head a little, swap the gasket, and put it back together.of course,
Old 01-10-2018, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what dumpedEj6 said is probably the “right” thing to do; but you might get away with this alternate route.*also, don’t forget that you can rent some tools from auto parts stores for free, like a torque wrench and a crank pulley (or harmonic balancer) tool that you should use.< you take the store money, they give you the tool, then when you bring the tool back, you get your money back. if you pay with cash, they might cash you back upon return
Old 01-10-2018, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

but yeah, you could probably replace your head gasket for about 100 bucks if you’ve got someone that almost knows what they’re doing, a reasonable amount of useful tools, food, time, blahjust take your time, and don’t freak out when something doesn’t seem right.good luck

sorry, i has this all spaced out beautifully, but the forum regrouped it.

​​​​​​​_isiah
Old 01-10-2018, 09:53 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

autozone can help with the headgasket.
Old 01-10-2018, 12:54 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by TheShodan
3 seconds on the Helm Incorporated Site - remember. whether its a Del Sol or standard civic, if it has a D15B that you have, it will be just the same.

Helm Incorporated: Product Search Engine

1995 Civic Del Sol Manual is out of stock for print, but you can get notified when it comes in. Try the Haynes so that you can get started, but have the Helms for everything else. "Luck favors the Prepared, but Fortune favors the prepared mind"

http://www.helminc.com/helm/Result.asp?Style=helm&Mfg=AHM&Make=AHM&Model=CVCC& Year=1995&Category=2&Keyword=&Module=&selected%5Fm edia=
Old 01-10-2018, 10:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon7 Re: I have a stock 1995 1.5 Del Sol with a blown HG no water in oil, but overheating?

Originally Posted by shmooly
i recently changed the head gasket on my d16y8, and this is pretty much what i did. of course after i finished i had to take the timing belt back off and change the water pump. but that’s kind of the beauty of doing less. it might work, and i only spent 150 bones probably.if you have tools, and have a few freeish days, i think you should clean up the head a little, swap the gasket, and put it back together.of course,
If I can do this I'm sure the timing belt and water pump will be a lot easier. I want to learn how to adjust the valves after this so she doesn't have that old honda click anymore. Thank you guys so much, I'm working for the next few days cleaning houses but when the parts arrive we're going to do this
I may have a few other questions, but I feel so much better about this now.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon5 Re: I have a stock 1995 1.5 Del Sol with a blown HG no water in oil, but overheating?

Originally Posted by mk378
I think we have a straight edge to do the X pattern and use the gauge to check if it's warped.

(My BF just now said he can glue some 120 sandpaper to plate glass and make the head smooth???)
I keep looking for tightening and loosening patterns.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:04 AM
I like the tuna here

Loosen by starting with one of the corner studs, then go to the opposite corner in a criss-cross pattern and just keep working your way to the middle two bolts like: top right --> bottom left --> top left --> bottom right. Torquing them down you go in the opposite way, start with the center two bolts, then work your way outward in a criss-cross pattern. Usually you tighten in two steps, but your manual should have all this info.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:11 AM
I like the tuna here

Also, as per your most recent comment...smh. It seems my words fall on deaf ears. What did I say earlier about not taking shortcuts? Like, for instance, trying to resurface the head yourself using sandpaper? Allow me to quote myself from earlier:
Originally Posted by DumpdEJ6
Get the head checked and possibly skimmed at a reputable machine shop. That is a CRITICAL part of the job.
But what do I know, I've only done dozens of head gasket replacements with only ONE failing again...which wasn't related to the cylinder head at all, and one that I learned a lesson from.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also, as per your most recent comment...smh. It seems my words fall on deaf ears. What did I say earlier about not taking shortcuts? Like, for instance, trying to resurface the head yourself using sandpaper? Allow me to quote myself from earlier:

But what do I know, I've only done dozens of head gasket replacements with only ONE failing again...which wasn't related to the cylinder head at all, and one that I learned a lesson from.
OK... Sorry, I won't let him do that
Old 01-11-2018, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon7 Re: I have a stock 1995 1.5 Del Sol with a blown HG no water in oil, but overheating?

Loosen by starting with one of the corner studs, then go to the opposite corner in a criss-cross pattern and just keep working your way to the middle two bolts like: top right --> bottom left --> top left --> bottom right. Torquing them down you go in the opposite way, start with the center two bolts, then work your way outward in a criss-cross pattern. Usually you tighten in two steps, but your manual should have all this info.
TY DumpdEJ6, That is just what I wanted to know and so easy to understand. And it also makes sense too. I'm imagining the reverse for tightening middle top bottom or bottom top on outward. I'll probably start will making sure their threads are oiled and the washer is oiled. Then snug them lightly with a 3/8 drive. After that I'm guessing it will start at around 11 lb and end at 47 to 49 lbs? Thank you
Old 01-12-2018, 03:59 AM
I like the tuna here

I understand that money can be tight, believe me. But just think about this: what is cheaper in the long run? Saving maybe $100 or possibly redoing the entire job?This is the tightening sequence. The loosening sequence is the exact opposite, start at 10 and work your way to 1.

Old 03-30-2018, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm buying a rebuilt head so it will have the valves done and new seals.
I have a 1995 del Sol 1.5 D15B7 and they're asking for a casting number.
I can't find it on the head, or I'm looking wrong?
However everywhere online I look it says my head is a PM3 / PM9 ??
Dose anyone here know?
Thank you,