Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

I have no power

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2004, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have no power

I have a 98 Honda Civic DX H/B and problem is that I'm unable to get any kind of power. At the most when I hit the gas I might get about 5 mph. The engine was taken out to paint the engine bay. It idles fine for about 5 minutes then drops it's rpm's and has some trouble stayin running but it doesn't shut off. Car hasn't honestly been ran that much for about 2 years so not sure if it's the fluids in the engine just bein old.

Work that has been done are CAI, a header for an ex put together with a ex cat, and cam gear. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm not that good with engines and I heard this was the place to come for help. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-10-2004, 01:07 PM
mike93eh

its because you have a dx..
Old 04-10-2004, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mike93eh)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike93eh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its because you have a dx.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Better yet it's because you have a Civic.

EDIT: This is going to be super tough to track down online. Are you throwing any check engine light codes?

When was the last time it worked correctly?

You say you can't go more than 5mph?
Old 04-10-2004, 01:11 PM
mike93eh

but seriously, if the car has been sitting for awhile. do a full tuneup, and i mean FULL tuneup. replace all fluids, even the gas..
Old 04-10-2004, 01:17 PM

Default Re: (Ricey McRicerton)

Thank you for the serious edit. Honestly not sure if it's throwing a code, last time it worked correctly was October of 2001, since then it's been in and out of body shops. (long story) Not sure if it's throwing a code honestly. Gauge cluster has been out of it for a while so don't know if it's throwin a check engine light.
Old 04-10-2004, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ProjectFusion)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ProjectFusion &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thank you for the serious edit. Honestly not sure if it's throwing a code, last time it worked correctly was October of 2001, since then it's been in and out of body shops. (long story) Not sure if it's throwing a code honestly. Gauge cluster has been out of it for a while so don't know if it's throwin a check engine light. </TD></TR></TABLE>

If you have the guage cluster in at all you should be able to tell (does the Check engine light stay on while the car is on?)
Old 04-10-2004, 01:20 PM

It's not in it at all, we actually built a all new dash and used aftermarkt gauges instead of the original cluster.
Old 04-10-2004, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh wow...you didn't incorporate some way to check to see if you're throwing a code? If worst comes to worst you can take it to autozone and they can check it if you still have the OBD plug under the dash.
Old 04-10-2004, 01:23 PM

Now that's an idea. 4 forums later I finally get a resonable response. Thank you.
Old 04-10-2004, 01:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Glad I could help a little bit. Once you have the code (if it's throwing one) we can help you get it taken care of.

Since you no longer have the Check Engine light to rely on I suggest picking up some software I bought for my car. It's called AutoEngenuity. I think it cost me just over 200 bucks, and you can load it on your laptop and it uses a parallel port on your computer to connect with your car and lets you watch all of the sensors as well as check/clear check engine lights. Well worth it.
Old 04-10-2004, 02:08 PM
mike93eh

youre still going to need a full tuneup if your car has been sitting for 3 years...
Old 04-10-2004, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mike93eh)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike93eh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">youre still going to need a full tuneup if your car has been sitting for 3 years...</TD></TR></TABLE>
He's right about that too. You need to replace ALL of the fluids (including the gas as he already said).
Old 04-10-2004, 02:12 PM
StsHatch

Default Re: I have no power (ProjectFusion)

Yah and maybe while ur at auto zone u can pick up some nifty neons or a cool DTM style muffler to go with ur super RaceR stylez dash
Old 04-10-2004, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I have no power (StsHatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by StsHatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yah and maybe while ur at auto zone u can pick up some nifty neons or a cool DTM style muffler to go with ur super RaceR stylez dash</TD></TR></TABLE>

was that really necessary
Old 04-10-2004, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by StsHatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yah and maybe while ur at auto zone u can pick up some nifty neons or a cool DTM style muffler to go with ur super RaceR stylez dash</TD></TR></TABLE>

ok?????????????
Old 04-10-2004, 02:31 PM

What's wrong with changing things out since the dash was trashed anyway? Do you feel big now that you poked fun at someone you have no clue about on the internet? Thank you to the rest of you to are actually helping me.

yeah I'm definatly going to do a full tuneup and hopefully that will help to.
Old 04-11-2004, 02:17 PM
StsHatch

Did u just say "poked fun"? "whats wrong with it" is that i dont like it. Welcome to America. If i decide that ur super racer dash is gay b/c u have a DX motor, I have the freedom to tell u i think its gay. If you, or anyone else on this site decide they dont like it, move to cuba....or take it up with a moderator
Old 04-11-2004, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ProjectFusion &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Work that has been done are CAI, a header for an ex put together with a ex cat, and cam gear. </TD></TR></TABLE>

thats my guess.... if your cam timing is off by a few deg, your motor wont rev up at all (i know from first hand experience)
Old 04-11-2004, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You might want to learn how to spell. Its spelled "yeah," your," "you," and dont forget the period at the end of your sentence.

p.s. I do not usually nick pick on spelling and grammar, but you seem to like acting like an *** and enjoy flaming people for no reason, so I'm just returning the favor.
Old 04-11-2004, 02:54 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by StsHatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Did u just say "poked fun"? "whats wrong with it" is that i dont like it. Welcome to America. If i decide that ur super racer dash is gay b/c u have a DX motor, I have the freedom to tell u i think its gay. If you, or anyone else on this site decide they dont like it, move to cuba....or take it up with a moderator </TD></TR></TABLE>

So today was the day that you decided to drag your leaking vagina out of its hole,get it on the internet,and join H-T to try and further exploit its insecurities to the whole e-world.....*clap* clap* clap*....Im sure were all proud of you.

And furthermore,you should shut the **** up if you dont have anything usefull to say. This is not off-topic.com and u should go there is you have nothing to offer except mindless dribble.

To the original poster. Like everyone else said,change all the fluids. I would also check the timing if I were you. Does the engine rev to redline? Or is it stopping before? If its not that will at least let you know you are in fail safe mode.
Old 04-11-2004, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by StsHatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Did u just say "poked fun"? "whats wrong with it" is that i dont like it. Welcome to America. If i decide that ur super racer dash is gay b/c u have a DX motor, I have the freedom to tell u i think its gay. If you, or anyone else on this site decide they dont like it, move to cuba....or take it up with a moderator </TD></TR></TABLE>

ban...this is the **** that ruins a post with a question and good information on a solution.
Old 04-11-2004, 03:11 PM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

I tell you what, perhaps you could grab a big bag of shut the **** up. Your 7 posts into this place and you're already trying to flame someone.

Keep it up and you'll be back at SuperHonda.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by StsHatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> If you, or anyone else on this site decide they dont like it, move to cuba....or take it up with a moderator </TD></TR></TABLE>

How about this for freedom of speech?

It does NOT apply to this MB because it is a privately owned and maintained site.

Also I have a problem with your posts and I am a moderator, so please if you have nothing more to add than stupid ******* flames thanb I'll kick your *** off of this site faster than you can call me a ricer.

Consider this your last warning.

Back to the topic at hand:

As Ricey has stated, it will be very difficult to diagnose your problems over the internet.

Give us an update if you scan your check engine light, and from there I'd start with changing all fluids, valve adjustment, and definately check your timing with a timing light. I'd also double check to see if your timing is correct in terms of the timing belt and cam gear, etc. by checking to see if all the timing marks line up.

The best advice other than that is to go to http://www.helminc. com and purchase a service manual for your car and go from there.

Old 04-11-2004, 03:33 PM

It's people like you that ruin forums. It's not that hard to just read and move on but you put the extra effort into being an *******. Congrats you're still a big man on the internet.

Thanks to the rest. Yeah to the person that said timing gear I'm going to go back and recheck that to make sure that's not messed up.
Old 04-11-2004, 05:56 PM
StsHatch

Wow, funny how everyone is so quick to talk about how i ruined this poor guy's thread. But yet, there has been more posts to flame me, for pointing out something that all of you were thinking anyway, then answers to a question that obviously has no answer.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I tell you what, perhaps you could grab a big bag of shut the **** up. Your 7 posts into this place and you're already trying to flame someone.

Keep it up and you'll be back at SuperHonda.

How about this for freedom of speech?

It does NOT apply to this MB because it is a privately owned and maintained site.

Also I have a problem with your posts and I am a moderator, so please if you have nothing more to add than stupid ******* flames thanb I'll kick your *** off of this site faster than you can call me a ricer.

Consider this your last warning.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you want to ban me, go for it...no sweat off my *****, i only registered on this forum to prove a point to a friend of mine. Also, regardless of wether or not the forum is "privately owned." Its a public forum. Even if it wasnt, i would still have my right to freedom of speech, it would just be up to the "owner" to decide wether or not he wanted to expose u to it. This is not the first forum ive been on, and if anyone here could pull their head out of the great honda-tech anus, theyd know that.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by QuikJaysun &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

ban...this is the **** that ruins a post with a question and good information on a solution. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Dumb question, nobody knows the solution Mr. Vague's problems b/c he has failed to accurately describe any symptoms that are common in any car, much less hondas.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eyewitness &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

So today was the day that you decided to drag your leaking vagina out of its hole,get it on the internet,and join H-T to try and further exploit its insecurities to the whole e-world.....*clap* clap* clap*....Im sure were all proud of you.

And furthermore,you should shut the **** up if you dont have anything usefull to say. This is not off-topic.com and u should go there is you have nothing to offer except mindless dribble. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Nope that was 2 days ago, but thanx for being observant

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by WongFeihung &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You might want to learn how to spell. Its spelled "yeah," your," "you," and dont forget the period at the end of your sentence.

p.s. I do not usually nick pick on spelling and grammar, but you seem to like acting like an *** and enjoy flaming people for no reason, so I'm just returning the favor. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Welcome to grammar-tech.com. Whats a nick pick?
Old 04-11-2004, 06:12 PM

LOL....why you guys giving poor mike here a problem? He is actually a good guy and knows what he is talking about!!

Quick Reply: I have no power