Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

i have a feeling this might suck

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i have a feeling this might suck

alright - ive been having serious issues with my motor since i had new/used one swapped in (d16y8 incase you need to know)..been having to check my oil every other day cause it keeps running low..no leaks, not smoking..checked my oil saturday and it was smack in the middle of the 2 cut out circles on the dipstick..added 2 qts of regular valvoline 10w30 oil just to get it over the 4qt mark...checked the oil monday and it was WAYY above the cut out circle on the dipstick..so i figure its probably ok...check the oil today and yesterday jsut cause it didnt seem right that it was so high on the dipstick..well today i check it and the oil seems almost like there is water in it or something cause when i pull out the dipstick, oil drips off of it like water would drop off of a stick...i already have plans today of dropping all the oil out...putting a fresh 4qts and new filter on to see if that helps..my ultimate option for the fix is already in motion, saving for b18c1...but thats not for another month, 2 at most.

what the hell would make the oil so..cant think of the word..water like?
Old 09-06-2007, 07:35 AM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: i have a feeling this might suck (Probot)

do you know how to check oil? you know the car has to be off to check oil. and, i donno, its probably nothing big.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

did you check it when the engine was...hot?
Old 09-06-2007, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (pdiggitydogg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by minime-civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do you know how to check oil? you know the car has to be off to check oil. and, i donno, its probably nothing big.</TD></TR></TABLE>
it was this morning before i left for work..so car sat all night

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pdiggitydogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">did you check it when the engine was...hot?</TD></TR></TABLE>
no it wasnt, i checked it twice actually..before i left for work and at like 10am so the car sat for 3 hours.

oil isnt milky..looks like oil...its just very runny
Old 09-06-2007, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

change the oil again. let it drain for a long time and show it to a mechanic in your area
Old 09-06-2007, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Probot &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
what the hell would make the oil so..cant think of the word..water like?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Coolant.....Like bad HG
Old 09-06-2007, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: i have a feeling this might suck (AWD Terror)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AWD Terror &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Coolant.....Like bad HG</TD></TR></TABLE>

wouldnt that make the oil milky though?
Old 09-06-2007, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

in most cases it would but not necesarily i guess. anything is possible.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: i have a feeling this might suck (b16a3delsol)

yea...well...b18c1 is not too far away...just gotta hope nothing happens between now and then
Old 09-06-2007, 10:29 AM
Banned

After you swap it, let me buy the d16 from you.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (yoffer)

il let you know when the time comes...it has a bad hunting idle problem too
Old 09-06-2007, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Probot &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

wouldnt that make the oil milky though?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not always. You having any over-heating issues?
Old 09-06-2007, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: i have a feeling this might suck (AWD Terror)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AWD Terror &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Not always. You having any over-heating issues?</TD></TR></TABLE>
nah, none
Old 09-06-2007, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nah, none</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well obviously the oil has to be going somewhere. Here's the possibilities:

Leak out
Burn off
Leak into coolant
Old 09-06-2007, 10:47 AM

your civic only takes like 3.5 quarts man....putting too much in will make it push out the tiniest cracks....just drain in out...new filter....and use castol high mileage 5w30....fixed my small leaking problem...too much oil will mess **** up quick
Old 09-06-2007, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (spray_bombed)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spray_bombed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">your civic only takes like 3.5 quarts man....putting too much in will make it push out the tiniest cracks....just drain in out...new filter....and use castol high mileage 5w30....fixed my small leaking problem...too much oil will mess **** up quick</TD></TR></TABLE>

It does not matter how much extra oil you have, you should still have the same oil pressure. Meaning that more oil will not cause it to "push out the tiniest cracks." There should be no cracks. Extra oil will burn off causing plugs to go bad
Old 09-06-2007, 11:19 AM

Default Re: (AWD Terror)

ok then...next time you change the oil in your talon....put 7 quarts in and see how it runs.....and damn near all older motors gaskets and seals are bittle with small cracks
Old 09-06-2007, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (spray_bombed)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spray_bombed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok then...next time you change the oil in your talon....put 7 quarts in and see how it runs.....and damn near all older motors gaskets and seals are bittle with small cracks</TD></TR></TABLE>

None of the gaskets or seals are old. Sorry man.

The fact is that you still have the same pressure. So the seals will still have to hold the same amount of pressure. Therefore, there will be no difference in leaks.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:26 AM

Default Re: (AWD Terror)

his gaskets and **** probably are.....but yeah I put too much oil in my civic once and it didnt foul my plugs but they were instantly black...and it threw smoke out the exhaust.....to the OP.. check the washer out on the drain plug....ive seen quite a bit of those go bad....plus they are only like $.99
Old 09-06-2007, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Probot &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">checked my oil saturday and it was smack in the middle of the 2 cut out circles on the dipstick..added 2 qts of regular valvoline 10w30 oil just to get it over the 4qt mark...checked the oil monday and it was WAYY above the cut out circle on the dipstick</TD></TR></TABLE>
so you're 1.5 quarts over full at this point... which is a lot (37% too much with 4 a quart capacity)

quoted because I can't say it any better
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">In general, as long as the oil stays below the crank throws in the pan, there is no downside to overfilling. If the crank-throws get into the oil, it is whipped into foam, with a vareity of bad consequences (lack of lubrication, seal damage from crankcase pressure, etc.) </TD></TR></TABLE>

typically watery oil (whiteish foam in it) means are leaking coolant into the oil through the headgasket or have had a large amount of condensation for what ever reason.
Old 09-07-2007, 03:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: i have a feeling this might suck (Relic1)

thanks for all those responses..it helps..didnt get to change my oil yesterday..ended up working 17 hours so at the end of the day i was ready for bed and thats it. so that will get done today...motor backfired at most 10 times on my way into work this morning...i swear to god..when i pull this motor out im gonna smash it with a sledge hammer...and then sell it to yoffer lol jk
Old 09-07-2007, 04:05 AM

I dunno wats wrong with it.. But it might be the way u drive.. Do u run the car hard on certain days? And maybe that since its a new motor to u that The owner who had it b4 might of drove it real nice like slow and never messed around with it.. And now since u have it the motor my feel like its runing hard when u think your not.. I dunno I'm making a wild guess
Old 09-07-2007, 04:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: i have a feeling this might suck (EK_kidd)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EK_kidd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I dunno wats wrong with it.. But it might be the way u drive.. Do u run the car hard on certain days? And maybe that since its a new motor to u that The owner who had it b4 might of drove it real nice like slow and never messed around with it.. And now since u have it the motor my feel like its runing hard when u think your not.. I dunno I'm making a wild guess </TD></TR></TABLE>

That shouldn't matter. There's people that boost stock engines and don't have problems with milky oil.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: i have a feeling this might suck (EK_kidd)

most of my driving is on the highway...and i go with traffic at around 70-75mph..not beating on it, just in 5th going with everyone else in rush hour...sometimes i go through traffic but i dont wind out every gear i might down shift to 4th to get going a little quicker and then go back to 5th..i dont know either, been having problems with the motor ever since it got put in