Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

I have a D15B7

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have a D15B7

Hi, im new here I have a d15b7 with mods like K&N cold air intake, Speed chip which is supposed to guarantee 43 hp and a 421 header, custom 2.5 inch exhaust and bosch platinum plugs, my question is this. I want to know what I have to do 2 get 200 HP not WHP from my engine. ive been told by people i have that already and some say i have a little less some say I have a little more. I want to continue to build this motor but also get an engine swap. Im going to keep building on this motor so i can find a shell and drop it in after I get my engine swap. any help with more power out of my motor BEFORE turbo and NO nitrous? thanks.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I have a D15B7 (civicminded93)

thats very difficult a jdm d15b7 will take alot of work including high compression pistons rods itb's and a great tune to put out that much power.. if you want ~200hp go with a jdm type r and not only will you have power but it will be reliable and all motor
Old 01-24-2008, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

First of all, get rid of the speed chip and Bosch plugs. The stock ECU is fine, and when you want to tune it, get it chipped and tuned professionally. Use $2 NGK copper V-powers for plugs.

200chp is easily doable with a turbo setup. It is not easily doable naturally aspirated. If you're going to turbo it, you will not be able to use the header or the CAI (without cutting it up). The 2.5" exhaust will be fine.

Before doing anything, research until your eyes bleed. The more you learn, the easier you can reach your goal for the least amount of money (and keep it more or less reliable).
Old 01-24-2008, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks everyone. Im not wanting to do too much to this motor since im trying to get up 2500 dollars for a complete engine and tranny swap to a b18c1 ( i know its an integra but what kind?) and would changing my stock intake manifold help me gain any power or fuel economy? I have 2 cars on craigslist and stock tail lights and sub box im trying to trade for an engine i could build up by myself before it goes in.

P.S. you all are alot nicer than the people on Cardomain.com
Old 01-24-2008, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

a b18c1 is an integra GS-R motor.. that is an excelent choice.. in my opinion i would save up for that instead of building up the stock motor!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicminded93 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
P.S. you all are alot nicer than the people on Cardomain.com </TD></TR></TABLE>

dont get used to it most people here are dicktards
Old 01-24-2008, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I have a D15B7 (2wheelhunter)

oh and this may help

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/878010

Old 01-24-2008, 12:08 PM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicminded93 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks everyone. Im not wanting to do too much to this motor since im trying to get up 2500 dollars for a complete engine and tranny swap to a b18c1 ( i know its an integra but what kind?) and would changing my stock intake manifold help me gain any power or fuel economy? I have 2 cars on craigslist and stock tail lights and sub box im trying to trade for an engine i could build up by myself before it goes in.

P.S. you all are alot nicer than the people on Cardomain.com </TD></TR></TABLE>

Stick around and you'll see things differently.

B18C1 - USDM Integra GS-R
B18C5 - USDM Integra Type R
B18C - JDM Integra Si VTEC, SiR-G
B18C-R - JDM Integra Type R (really just called "B18C")

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicminded93 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> ive been told by people i have that already and some say i have a little less some say I have a little more. </TD></TR></TABLE>

No, they are wrong.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you should see the guys on cardomain they talk **** because my car isnt as wanted as the other civics because of the motor, auto tranny, and the fact its a 4 door. IM also wondering what would be a good ride height for my car? there are speed bumps around my area in school parking lots * when i pick up my bro and his gf*, store parkin lots. and i dont want to bottom out or tear off my body kit when i get one. and How do I know what is a good turbo set up since i cant go name brand due to prices. what should I watch out for? I want to buy a piece at a time to build my own. any advice on this ? and SORRY for asking so many questions its just im new at this whole thing.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

as far as ride height go with what is suitable for you.. sounds like you will need a set of mild drop springs go with 1.5-1.7 inch drop, it will be noticable yet nothing extreme.

as for turbo kit well.. i have a greddy full turbo kit for sale right now for your engine lol $750 shipped... if not i would go with an ebay turbo kit for aroud 600-700 dollars but expect things to break or not fit correctly.. with some custom fabrication you can get your money's worth.. if something breaks just replace it with a name brand one!
Old 01-24-2008, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicminded93 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Speed chip which is supposed to guarantee 43 hp</TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL. It's good for about -4 hp or more depending on if you look at peak or some other point on the dyno plot. Here's your first lesson, never believe ebay seller claims.

What's a JDM D15B7? The people replying to you are just as misinformed as you are!

Your car with those mods is putting maybe 95 hp to the ground. Maybe 103 to the crank. Whoever told you 200 needs to be slapped. Or laughed at.

Since you already have an intake and a header, you're pretty much going down the n/a path, which is fine on a SOHC for a goal of crank 200 despite what many here will tell you. I recommend swapping for a JDM SOHC VTEC (which is about the same cost ($600) as a mini me but a better result), then get a reputable cam, intake manifold, and a proper tune (not some nonsense like Crome or Hondata). That should get you pretty close to your goal.

Of course cheapest power is nitrous, but I don't consider that a true power rating for the car since it's only as good as long as the bottle is full and the switch is activated.

Your goal is 200hp, but if you actually want to BE fast you should also swap to one of the 5sp transmissions that came with a SOHC VTEC.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I have a D15B7 (2wheelhunter)

I see pieces on craigslist too like intercoolers from different cars like STI's and EVOs would this be a good place to start on a turbo kit? If only I had a job or could sell the stuff im trying to sell I wouuld most def. buy that turbo kit from you.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was told by the lot I got my car from that it had a 1.5 Liter sohc vtec head on it? but something was wrong with it so they put a non vtec head on it. i thought vtecs were 1.6 or bigger and dohc. if this is so where can I find a vtec head at ( i also heard that you could put a d16 vtec head on it but would a DOHC head fit on my block? and what all will i need to do because i know there is a module or something for the vtec to kick in and stuff like that. here is my email address if you want to talk to me on yahoo messenger tom_mcmullen06@yahoo.com
Old 01-24-2008, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I have a D15B7 (baller status)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by baller status &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Since you already have an intake and a header, you're pretty much going down the n/a path, which is fine on a SOHC for a goal of crank 200 despite what many here will tell you. I recommend swapping for a JDM SOHC VTEC (which is about the same cost ($600) as a mini me but a better result), then get a reputable cam, intake manifold, and a proper tune (not some nonsense like Crome or Hondata). That should get you pretty close to your goal.</TD></TR></TABLE>
So simple bolt-on's and a cam will net almost 200chp? Without even increasing compression?
Old 01-24-2008, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: I have a D15B7 (ddd4114)

Getting even 200chp from an allmotor D-series is no easy feat. ESPECIALLY with just 1.5 liters.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:30 AM
Resident Gearhead

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicminded93 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I want to know what I have to do 2 get 200 HP not WHP from my engine. ive been told by people i have that already and some say i have a little less some say I have a little more. </TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mcvtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No, they are wrong.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicminded93 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was told by the lot I got my car from that it had a 1.5 Liter sohc vtec head on it? but something was wrong with it so they put a non vtec head on it. i thought vtecs were 1.6 or bigger and dohc.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nope, not DOHC only. D16Z6 and D16Y8 are both VTEC and SOHC. There is a JDM 1.5L VTEC D-series, and the USDM VX 1.5L has a VTEC-E head.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

firts off, you're not getting 200 hp. Not with a D15b7. that comes stock 107 hp. without fi, you are not getting 200. The intake MAY give you an extra 2 or 3. the headers and all, same thing. you're in no way pushing more than 120, and probably not that much. Things you can do, get a performance head, there is a d series, the d15b, that has vtec. Swap your tranny. get one with a shorter gear ratio. get some high compression pistons. To be honest, having an exhaust, intake, and headers is good, but bolt ons really don't increase that much. idk why people are telling you what to swap to, swap to what you want man. until then, without fi, like a turbo, you're just not going to get a lot of power. as for the guys on cardomain, they are stupid, i have a 92 eg sedan, and it's going to be bad ***, see how it looks in the picture, that's how it's still going to look with a b16a in it, and it'll be fast as hell. make a sleeper man. then you can make the guys on car domain cry when you whoop their asses cause tey spent all there money on body kits and not the engine.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I have a D15B7 (austinkli)

try this place when you look for an engine swap, i've heard good things about there motors for a decent price. N1concepts.com
Old 01-28-2008, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hi again. I was thinking about getting a bodykit and spoiler but i dont want anything crazy. where besides ebay is a great place to go since im on a budget especially now since im going to be going to Wyotech. also, how long until im no longer on trial membership? thanks
Old 02-01-2008, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had 102 to begin with so i know i have more than 103 going to crank. I have cold air from K&N not short ram, chip,header,exhaust. and i have lighter wheels than what was originally on that. and I read somewhere you free up (( not gain)) horsepower when you take weight off. ive also recently pulled off the plastic skid plate that was on the front. and i plan on taking off the little mudflaps or whatever those things are infront of my wheels.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just because you modified your car, doesn't mean you gained any horsepower. You probably lost horsepower from the generic chip.

Lighter rotating components (wheels, pulleys, flywheels, etc.) do not change the engine's power output (as you said). The lighter components allow the crankshaft to accelerate more rapidly.

EDIT: You're also losing power from the Bosch platinum plugs.... and the Altezza tails
Old 02-01-2008, 08:26 AM
Resident Gearhead

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicminded93 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> ive also recently pulled off the plastic skid plate that was on the front. and i plan on taking off the little mudflaps or whatever those things are infront of my wheels. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Why did you do that?
Old 02-01-2008, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I have a D15B7 (mcvtec)

two reasons 1.) falling off and 2.) weight reduction. and How long until I am off of trial version ?
Old 02-01-2008, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I have a D15B7 (baller status)

200 HP is a pipe dream on a N/A 1.5L I've heard of guys getting 205 whp out of N/A B16's worked and professionally tuned. If the swap isn't realistic to you, get the JDM D15B which is the most powerful stock D Series SOHC engine or do the Mini Me swap, (your block with a D16Z6 or D16Y8 head on it.) Good luck with the auto to manual swap too.

Edit: Take seats out, spare tire, and other useless **** to lose weight, not the 3 lb. plastic cover that saves your engine and suspension components from the road.

Modified by JDM EJ2 at 9:55 AM 2/1/2008
Old 02-01-2008, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I have a D15B7 (JDM EJ2)

its been falling off since i got it and instead of it just falling off as i was driving i just took it off.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Have you tried screwing it back on?

Quick Reply: I have a D15B7