Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

i have a civic model stock D16y8, will changing the head into a ex vtec head d17y8 help?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 11:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i have a civic model stock D16y8, will changing the head into a ex vtec head d17y8 help?

i have a civic model stock D16y8, will changing the head into a ex vtec d17y8 help?

if so how much would it help?

and is there any other suggestions on what i should do.

im thinking on doing a mini swap. let me know
thank you guys.
Old 07-14-2006, 03:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: i have a civic model stock D16y8, will changing the head into a ex vtec head d17y8 help? (CivicP

negative not anything noticeable
Old 07-14-2006, 04:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: i have a civic model stock D16y8, will changing the head into a ex vtec head d17y8 help? (CivicP

d16y8 head is already vtec sir
Old 07-14-2006, 05:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

dude i have done alot of work on d16s, and no matter what you do you will never see a big increase of power. unless you use turbo or some crazy **** like that. you might as well get an engine swap that is the best thing you can ever do. you will end up spending a **** load of money on the d16, that by the time you are done you could have had a swap done.
Old 07-14-2006, 05:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

dude i have done alot of work on d16s, and no matter what you do you will never see a big increase of power. unless you use turbo or some crazy **** like that. you might as well get an engine swap that is the best thing you can ever do. you will end up spending a **** load of money on the d16, that by the time you are done you could have had a swap done.
Old 07-14-2006, 05:25 AM
GarageAlchemist

what work have you done on d16's.. got any pics
Old 07-14-2006, 05:38 AM

Waste of time get a b, h, k swap or something if you want to see some gains
Old 07-14-2006, 05:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First of all, CivicProject97, you have a VTEC head. You cannot put a D17 head on any D16 - the oil/cooling passages don't line up.

Now, on to Sir Swaps-a-lot:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by curt_9693 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dude i have done alot of work on d16s, and no matter what you do you will never see a big increase of power. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats funny - you basically said that "I can't tune a D series." There are numerous people who have and continue to get power out of them - but not you.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by curt_9693 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> unless you use turbo or some crazy **** like that. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Since when did turbocharging become crazy? It is an awesome power adder to most ANY platform. Again, I'm sorry, but I have to question your knowledge and abilities. Just because you think it's crazy, or that you haven't/can't do it deffinately doesn't mean it cannot be done.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by curt_9693 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> you might as well get an engine swap that is the best thing you can ever do. you will end up spending a **** load of money on the d16, that by the time you are done you could have had a swap done. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Honda Tuning Magazine recently did a comparison in which they built a D series for $1400, and then swapped in a B16 for $2500. The D made more power and torque without "using a turbo or something crazy".

curt_9693

Old 07-14-2006, 05:45 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by curt_9693 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dude i have done alot of work on d16s, and no matter what you do you will never see a big increase of power. unless you use turbo or some crazy **** like that. you might as well get an engine swap that is the best thing you can ever do. you will end up spending a **** load of money on the d16, that by the time you are done you could have had a swap done. </TD></TR></TABLE>

definately not true
Old 07-14-2006, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well like i said you can spend a **** load of money on upgrades cams/cam gears head swap all that funn stuff . my point was...and is....save some time and effort and do a swap. but if you want to, knock ur self out up grade the hell out of your d16. it all depends on what your in the end goal is.

yeah spend 2-3k and its not street legal and probally wont last u for long. what u shop at target????
Old 07-14-2006, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nope no more d16 for me i realized it was a waste of my time/money and ditched it. i got a b18c1.
Old 07-14-2006, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it is crazy for a day to day driver to add a supercharger on a d16 a b k f ok i can see thathell k seres come with them...yes there is a good 100 hp gain from it and it is ******* awsome dont get me wrong but you cant just add turbo and expect it to last forever you need to do valve springs to support the pressure and rev you will need to got a turbo timer you will probaly want to up grade cams its a bunch of other pricy little **** and after you are all done..... not street legal. but hey if thats what you want go for it..your car does u alot of good in an impound ohhhh yeah unless you are good with turbos and all that work dont forget to include the install price$$$$$ and dont trust your buddys to do it unless they can cover the cost if something goes wrong.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:06 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by curt_9693 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it is crazy for a day to day driver to add a supercharger on a d16 a b k f ok i can see thathell k seres come with them...yes there is a good 100 hp gain from it and it is ******* awsome dont get me wrong but you cant just add turbo and expect it to last forever you need to do valve springs to support the pressure and rev you will need to got a turbo timer you will probaly want to up grade cams its a bunch of other pricy little **** and after you are all done..... not street legal. but hey if thats what you want go for it..your car does u alot of good in an impound ohhhh yeah unless you are good with turbos and all that work dont forget to include the install price$$$$$ and dont trust your buddys to do it unless they can cover the cost if something goes wrong.</TD></TR></TABLE>

stop talking. you know nothing about everything. turbo can be safely run on a d16 and put down more than a swap for half the cost. people seem to forget when they say swap, they leave out all the parts you need to make it work in that particular car, mounts, axels, etc... in the end its not worth it for someone who just wants a little more power. only advantage of 2 cams is the tuning capabilities. its also possible to build an N/A D using all oem parts and put out more hp than a b for the same cost or less.
Old 07-14-2006, 03:05 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicminded92 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">First of all, CivicProject97, you have a VTEC head. You cannot put a D17 head on any D16 - the oil/cooling passages don't line up.

Now, on to Sir Swaps-a-lot:

Thats funny - you basically said that "I can't tune a D series." There are numerous people who have and continue to get power out of them - but not you.

Since when did turbocharging become crazy? It is an awesome power adder to most ANY platform. Again, I'm sorry, but I have to question your knowledge and abilities. Just because you think it's crazy, or that you haven't/can't do it deffinately doesn't mean it cannot be done.

Honda Tuning Magazine recently did a comparison in which they built a D series for $1400, and then swapped in a B16 for $2500. The D made more power and torque without "using a turbo or something crazy".

curt_9693 </TD></TR></TABLE>

i guess i'm crazy for going turbo d (only going to cost me around $1100)
Old 07-14-2006, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sohcninjas attack!!!!
Old 07-14-2006, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by curt_9693 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it is crazy for a day to day driver to add a supercharger on a d16 a b k f ok i can see thathell k seres come with them...yes there is a good 100 hp gain from it and it is ******* awsome dont get me wrong but you cant just add turbo and expect it to last forever you need to do valve springs to support the pressure and rev you will need to got a turbo timer you will probaly want to up grade cams its a bunch of other pricy little **** and after you are all done..... not street legal. but hey if thats what you want go for it..your car does u alot of good in an impound ohhhh yeah unless you are good with turbos and all that work dont forget to include the install price$$$$$ and dont trust your buddys to do it unless they can cover the cost if something goes wrong.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You need to have your honda driving and honda-tech posting priviledges revoked for life.

I have turboed my car twice and both times it was removed because of my personal reasons, NOT because I didnt upgrade my valve springs and not have a turbo timer. Do you even know what a turbo timer does? You dont NEED a turbo timer. When I was turbo, I just left everywhere 5 minutes earlier than the time I needed to be there. And turbo installs arent hard. Besides stupid petty things, turbo was the first install I ever performed. All it takes is reading BASIC tools. And what K series come with a supercharger?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95jeremie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i guess i'm crazy for going turbo d (only going to cost me around $1100) </TD></TR></TABLE>

AND you will have more HP than MOST stock swaps. I pieced together my last kit for 1300 with extras like a laptop for tuning, extra gauges, etc. That dude is just an idiot spouting random crap from hs mouth
Old 07-14-2006, 06:01 PM
Go Tigers!

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

HOW YOU WANT IT WE GOT IT (OHHHH YEAHHHHH)