Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

I hate exhaust.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I hate exhaust.

I have a b16a, stock manifold, 2 inch piping, OEM cat, a resonator and a stock RSX S muffler.

I've tried many exhaust setups. I hate loud exhausts these days, maybe I'm getting old.

This setup makes all kind of noise, especially at 3K rpm. There are no leaks.

Is the the B16 notoriously loud? I can't figure out how to shut the fuking thing up. I do have some stiff Hasport mounts, an exhaust tech told me that the mounts are causing enough vibration to make the exhaust resonate. Possible I guess. If I can't figure it out I'll have to get rid of the car.

ideas?
Old 03-30-2010, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I hate exhaust.

If the vibration is causing the noise, it will have a metallic sound rather than a deep exhaust tone.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Exactly. What kind of sound are you wanting to get rid of? The actual exhaust gas airflow should be very quiet based on the system you listed.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I first swapped in my LS, Right from the get go I put in stiff mounts. Car was loud and vibrated alot. The cab noise was just ridiculous. I knew the stiff mounts were causing the vibrations but didn't know it was causing all the other extra noise. After 2 years I had my Apexi N1 canister muffler cut off and a Vibrant Stealth muffler put in place.

The exhaust setup was a 4-2-1 Header into 2 1/4" mandrel bent Piping back to the Vibrant muffler. It was still pretty loud. Louder than I wanted, I was far from happy. I had heard the Vibrants were quiet. I started doing some research and found that stiff engine mounts can also make the cab noise alot greater. I swapped out my stiff mounts for OEM mounts and problem solved. The car is so much smoother and ALOT quieter, and when I say ALOT..I mean it. I am very happy now with the noise level. So swapping out to some stock mounts might do the trick for you as well.

I don't like the stock mounts nearly as good as I did the stiff mounts on any aspect other than noise. But its my DD, so having it smooth and quiet is more important to me now than it was. I am more into comfort now.

After swapping to the stock mounts I found that with the stiff mounts, it wasn't actually the exhaust that I thought was so loud, it was that ALOT more engine bay noise transfers into the cab and that's actually what your hearing.

My car was also worse on a cold morning when the mount material was cold and stiff. After I drove and parked for just a bit, I found it wouldn't be quite as bad because the engine seemed to heat up the mounts as it sit.

Good Luck.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

As previously stated, its your mounts causing the resonating sound.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thank you guys for the input. it is a loud exhaust note not a metallic vibration. I used to think loud exhaust was badass, but like the third poster i've found it becomes very annoying. I'm sad about what you say about the mounts. I love the feel of the hasports. However, I am not willing to sacrifice all that noise for that particular aspect of performance.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

BTW has anyone here ever tried drilling out solid poly mounts? Its not a very nice idea but may be necessary...
Old 03-30-2010, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by the171
I'm sad about what you say about the mounts. I love the feel of the hasports. However, I am not willing to sacrifice all that noise for that particular aspect of performance.
Trust me, I was to. I loved my stiff mounts. Now with the stock mounts, anytime the damn wheels spin I get all that freakin wheel hop again.

I changed the Driver and Passenger mounts first and noticed a big difference in the noise level. So then I went ahead and swapped out the rear mount also. It sucks and I miss my stiff mounts but like you said, I also wasn't willing to deal with the extra vibrations and noise anymore.