Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

I gotta mess 96 civic LX - hunting idle and cooling system problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 10:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I gotta mess 96 civic LX - hunting idle and cooling system problems

First off besides tranny clutch etc... electrical/bolt on mods are only a y8 intake manifold (iacv blocked off) and a y7 throttle body with stock harness and ecu in my 96 civic lx. I put a bunch of goodies on and have a rough idle (1 to 3k rpms repeatedly) I go to burp the coolant system and notice the bottom radiator hose is not heating up. I go in the car and notice the heat/ac will no longer blow on any setting. I check the thermostat connection and it appears to have a clip in it like it possilby has a jumper in it for the fan because it kicks on all the time. This leads me to believe that the thermostat has failed and I should start from there. I got a few hours in between jobs tomorrow to tinker with it but really need my car going for work soon. Am I on the right track and any other advice would be appreciated

CLIFFS: surging idle, lower coolant hose cold, heater/ac doesnt blow I'm replacing thermostat.

ALSO: I do not have the Intake air temperature hooked up and there is another clip identical to it that is not hooked up to anything along the intake side. I am replacing the throttle body gasket because this one didn't line up right and has a leak.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: I gotta mess 96 civic

Idle: If the Y8 IM is from a 99-00 Civic, this could explain the idle problem. That IM is unique in having the fuel injection air intake system and is a common source of IM swap problems.

Cooling system: Remove the jumper clip from the ECT switch connector and plug the connector back into the ECT switch on the thermostat housing. Then do this:

Bleeding the cooling system may take 20-30 minutes.

1) Park the car on an inclined driveway with the front end higher than the rear.

2) Push/turn the dash heater lever/**** to MAX heat. Fan need not be on.

3) Follow the directions in the diagram below

Old 08-17-2011, 06:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I gotta mess 96 civic LX - hunting idle and cooling system problems

Thanks buddy. I think I have the 96 to 98 manual because I don't have air ports anywhere or the idle valve in the picture. I had it on an uphill slope with heat to max but it wasn't blowing anything after 30 minutes. Ill give it another shot today in the day light, going to do tb gasket because I felt the engine idle down when I put my finger on he throttle body gaske while running.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by shortstopNE
notice the heat/ac will no longer blow on any setting.
Are you saying the cabin blower behind the glove box doesn't push air out of the vents? Give us a precise description of the problem.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
Are you saying the cabin blower behind the glove box doesn't push air out of the vents? Give us a precise description of the problem.
Yes the vents were the issue but I tapped on the blower motor and they worked again. Possilby got bumped or bad connection. I let it idle, replaced thermostat and throttle body and let it run for 30 minutes with the front end of the car jacked up. No luck, still the 1-3k rpm surge. I am going to try again tomorrow and run it down to oreillys to see if they can check my codes. I will also take pics of anything that could be a cause to get second opinions. Should I throw in my p06 obd1 ecu?

Also I noticed a little rattling noise, sounds like the flywheel or something (ebay f1 11lb flywheel with competition stage 2 clutch) I had a grinding noice originally from the pressure plate not being tightened all the way, had my buddy come down and torque it to spec all around. Could the noise be due to an ebay brand flywheel? It drives fine, shfits fine and I filled it with pennzoil synchromesh. Will get video and pics tomorrow.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Click the CEL sticky at the top. You can pull the codes at home.