Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

I gotta CEL!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 09:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I gotta CEL!!

hey guys i gotta CEL and when i turn the key to the on position it flashes once. I was too lazy to do the things in "The New Cell Thread". In the thread it says 1 flash could be the oxygen sensor but I am not sure. I was wondering if you guys can help me out and tell me what it meant. This happened after i did a D16y8 swap into my 98 civic ex ( I blew my motor).
Old 07-26-2008, 09:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I gotta CEL!! (killa4lyfe)

http://www.hondatuningmagazine....html
http://www.hondatuningmagazine....html
Old 07-26-2008, 09:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea that tells me wat basically this is telling me

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/1901557

But my question is when i turn the key to the on position without jumping the plug and it flashes once. Does that mean the Intake Air Temp or it does not mean anything at all?

Modified by killa4lyfe at 11:10 PM 7/26/2008
Old 07-26-2008, 10:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (killa4lyfe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by killa4lyfe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

But my question is when i turn the key to the on position without jumping the plug and it flashes once. Does that mean the Intake Air Temp or it does not mean anything at all?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Please take the time to yourself right now. By now you should be done. Notice how all the other lights battery,oil,srs etc.turn on also? That's a check up the car's system does. Like that you can know everything is ok as far as bulbs not being burned.LoL. The only time that one would have a Cel is if its stays solid at all times while driving or the cars is completely on. Then if it is you would need to jump the harness by the ecu and start counting flashes,so you can come up with the conclusion what the problem is. Geez is this your first car? Cuz all the cars do that. Atleast my ol Saturn did it.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

When you turn the ignition key to ON, the CEL normally should light up for a couple of seconds and then turn OFF, if there is no problem.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mortificationrock)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mortificationrock &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Please take the time to yourself right now. By now you should be done. Notice how all the other lights battery,oil,srs etc.turn on also? That's a check up the car's system does. Like that you can know everything is ok as far as bulbs not being burned.LoL. The only time that one would have a Cel is if its stays solid at all times while driving or the cars is completely on. Then if it is you would need to jump the harness by the ecu and start counting flashes,so you can come up with the conclusion what the problem is. Geez is this your first car? Cuz all the cars do that. Atleast my ol Saturn did it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea i know that. I had the car engine running and the light is still on after all the other lights shuts off. I was wondering if because it flashed once while on the on position with the engine off meant anything. But i suppose by what you said I still have to jump the harness.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You possibly have a jumper wire already inserted into the service connector, so when you turn the key to ON, you are seeing either code 1 or 10. When the engine is started, I believe the CEL will remain lit without blinking (not absolutely sure, maybe someone can verify). Another possibility is that there is an electrical short in the service connector circuit.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (RonJ@HT)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RonJ@HT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You possibly have a jumper wire already inserted into the service connector, so when you turn the key to ON, you are seeing either code 1 or 10. When the engine is started, I believe the CEL will remain lit without blinking (not absolutely sure, maybe someone can verify). Another possibility is that there is an electrical short in the service connector circuit.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks man I will check it out tomorrow and see if i have a jumper wire already inserted.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by killa4lyfe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yea i know that. I had the car engine running and the light is still on after all the other lights shuts off. I was wondering if because it flashed once while on the on position with the engine off meant anything. But i suppose by what you said I still have to jump the harness.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ok. If when you turn the key to the on position it turns on once then disappears then nothing is wrong. If it turns on(which it normally always does) and turns off and then stays solid. Then you have a code. Or if its starts flashing again like that other guy said (that maybe it was jumped already which I doubt cuz the car would either not run or run funny) then count the flashes. But like I said if it turns on then off there is nothing wrong.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mortificationrock)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mortificationrock &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
...that maybe it was jumped already which I doubt cuz the car would either not run or run funny) then count the flashes...</TD></TR></TABLE>

The engine will run when the service connector is jumped because this is how the ignition timing is adjusted; however, I have never driven the car with the connector jumped, so I don't know whether the engine drives poorly or not in this situation.
Old 07-27-2008, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I just jumped the connector and it blinked once real fast so that means Oxygen Sensor #1 right? Also, is that the sensor by the cat?
Old 07-27-2008, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's the primary sensor before the cat in the exhaust manifold.

Does code 1 repeat over and over again with the jumper wire in place? Does the same thing happen without the jumper wire in place?

Remove jumper wire and clear the code from the ECU (remove 7.5A BACKUP fuse for 20-30 seconds and then reinsert).

Now what happens with the CEL when you turn the ignition key to ON?
Old 07-28-2008, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (RonJ@HT)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RonJ@HT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It's the primary sensor before the cat in the exhaust manifold.

Does code 1 repeat over and over again with the jumper wire in place? Does the same thing happen without the jumper wire in place?

Remove jumper wire and clear the code from the ECU (remove 7.5A BACKUP fuse for 20-30 seconds and then reinsert).

Now what happens with the CEL when you turn the ignition key to ON? </TD></TR></TABLE>

so the sensor is not under the car right? And no the code does not repeat over and over again with the jumper wire in place. And i noticed that without the jumper wire in place it blinks once but slower.
"Remove jumper wire and clear the code from the ECU (remove 7.5A BACKUP fuse for 20-30 seconds and then reinsert)."
I will try that tomorrow and let u know what happens.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i removed the backup fuse and the check engine light turned off but i was not able to drive my car yet because the CEL usually turned on when I drove it for a couple of min. So hopefully it worked i will let you know