Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

I Got a TICKET in Cali... help me!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 12:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Got a TICKET in Cali... help me!!!!!

Modified by ShrimpCrab at 9:06 PM 2/26/2007

Modified by ShrimpCrab at 4:38 AM 3/11/2007
Old 02-25-2007, 01:09 AM

I wonder if its possible to grind the b20b off and get some metal # punches and punch b16a2 into it??? Might be easier than swapping out the block, but i've never heard of anyone doing this....Just an "off the top of my head" thought with not much "thought" put into it.....Not sure if i was any help?

http://www.contenti.com/produc....html
http://www.hobbytool.com/index...D=514
Old 02-25-2007, 01:18 AM

Default Re: (RealSlow94)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RealSlow94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I wonder if its possible to grind the b20b off and get some metal # punches and punch b16a2 into it??? Might be easier than swapping out the block, but i've never heard of anyone doing this....Just an "off the top of my head" thought with not much "thought" put into it.....Not sure if i was any help?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Baaaaad idea... if you got caught doing that its felony forgery (or felony something) - and a felony is a lot worse than an inspection violation.
Old 02-25-2007, 01:19 AM

Default Re: I Got a TICKET in Cali... help me!!!!! (ShrimpCrab)

don't do the crime if you can't do the time. What you should do is keep your car legit.
Old 02-25-2007, 01:24 AM
pli
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I Got a TICKET in Cali... help me!!!!! (MASTRCHANN)

love cali hate the pigs and crime
Old 02-25-2007, 01:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're going to fight this in court, I would suggest making sure that the program called dragnet has been discontinued. If you didn't already know, dragnet is/was a program that trained cops to be able to tell if a car has been "modified" to illegal standards. I had a cop pull that sht on me for my aem intake (carb legal) He said that his training with dragnet told him that the rubber links used was illegal.. anyway good luck.
Old 02-25-2007, 01:30 AM

Just grind off the b20 stamp, smooth it out and stamp it b16. Im gonna do that to my b18 but it will pass cuz b18 and b16 fit same and look same
Old 02-25-2007, 01:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MEH)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MEH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just grind off the b20 stamp, smooth it out and stamp it b16. Im gonna do that to my b18 but it will pass cuz b18 and b16 fit same and look same</TD></TR></TABLE>
that thought crossed my mind too...wonder if it will actually work
Old 02-25-2007, 01:38 AM

it will work, my homie that built my car has got out of tickets that way. He even has his own stamp that says "jerrybuilt"
Old 02-25-2007, 02:03 AM

you think you can show me how to do that, like what do i need ?? It would be very helpful!
Old 02-25-2007, 05:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ShrimpCrab)

Restamping it isn't going to do anything for you. If you got a referee ticket, you have to go to a state inspector. They'll make sure everything is hooked up right, including smog equipment, correct ecu etc. Then they do an smog test. So your car will have to pass smog too.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:07 AM

You could put the b16 block back on or im pretty sure you can just pay the fine,which might be easier.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I seriously wouldn't recommend grinding off any numbers. That's just stupid.

These guys are like, trained in ricer racing...which means they also know exactly how honda engines look.

It's quite simple, pull the motor, throw the B16 back in, throw the head back on it, and throw the ECU back in it.

OR

I'm pretty sure you can just pay a fine and NOT go to the state ref.

Man cali, sux You can get to the best performance parts there, but everything's ******* illegal 'n ****. In NY (or any part of the tri state area here) they couldn't pop ur hood like that, EVER.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (jay_cue)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jay_cue &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Restamping it isn't going to do anything for you. If you got a referee ticket, you have to go to a state inspector. They'll make sure everything is hooked up right, including smog equipment, correct ecu etc. Then they do an smog test. So your car will have to pass smog too. </TD></TR></TABLE>

He will never pass at the ref, even if he returns the B20 to 100% stock. It is considered a light truck engine here, and he has it in a car chassis. Just pay the $300 or so ticket. It's alot cheaper than swapping a B16 back in.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

first off.. u really need to know the laws a bit, if you said no at the beginning stick to it. if you dont allow them to search your car inless they find something in plain view to give them cause to search (Ie handgun in the backseat) they have to get a warrant. Cops scare those who don't know enough about the law, they how they get around things.. i keep my lawyers firm on speed dial, i say let me ask my lawyer for advice.

but long story short i would say jus pay the fine, but in OC you see the same cop more then once. so it could happen again.. my friend use to get tickets from the same cop all day.. but he died on trask and beach so all is well
Old 02-25-2007, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would just put the b16 back in. scratching the code off the block sounds pretty sketchy..
Old 02-25-2007, 09:56 AM
New User

Default Re: (boostedhatchie)

where in Ca were you? I hear about this stuff all the time but it never ever happens near me.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (RealSlow94)

you can either wait and pay for the ticket when it comes home, or take it to the referee. and in the mean time if you drive the car around and get pulled over again, they can impound your car for not fixing it or paying off the ticket yet. you can punch in b16 stamp, but it still wont pass emmissions at the state referee. the best way is put the stock motor back in and ref it
Old 02-25-2007, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (2080EK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2080EK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">where in Ca were you? I hear about this stuff all the time but it never ever happens near me.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ukiah, you are safe cause you are in the basic area of smog. you guys only have the two speed idle test, no dynamometer testing. so basically you lucky cause they are not as strict on that county, YET
Old 02-25-2007, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if you get caught with a b20 engine again....your fine's gonna go up....most chp go through a course that teaches them whats legal and not illegal....just remember anything thats adjustable in your engine compartment or inside your car its consider illegal....boost controller, adj cam gear, fuel regulator, and etc.....cops in ontario, fontana and not sure what other city have a program that have instructor that teaches them how to read the engine block size....and when they ask you to pop your hood, just pop it....whats the point of getting tow to the impound....who knows what kinda of ppls work there......plus you gotta paid the fee when it impounded and there gonna do full search on your car....all the cops gonna do is give u a ticket so you can take it too the ref pay the $36 fee to get inspected and they will tell you if u pass or not....they wont keep your car there....all their gonna do is tell u to get it fix and bring it back so it be legal ....hopefully this should shed some light....
Old 02-25-2007, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I Got a TICKET in Cali... help me!!!!! (dubzxallxstar)

You can remove the engine code and put on another one. I had a friend that did it. First they grind down the code plate a little just so its scuffed up enough. Then cut the block code off another motor in your case the b16. Weld it to the new motor clean up the welds and paint the block. If you do it right no one will ever be able to tell the diffrence.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I seriously wouldn't recommend grinding off any numbers. That's just stupid.

These guys are like, trained in ricer racing...which means they also know exactly how honda engines look.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Are you serious alL B series blocks look the same the only diffrence is the internals. So unless cali cops are trained in ex-ray vision they wouldnt know the diffrence between a real b16 or a stamped b20 with a b16 code unless it wasnt done properly. Also I didnt know swapping a motor into your car makes you a ricer now. I guess we should all just run stock motors like you.
Old 02-25-2007, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I Got a TICKET in Cali... help me!!!!! (smileycvc)

State Refs know what to look for though, they can easily tell that your engine serial # has been altered, they do this kind of thing for a living.

In the Stockton/Sac town area is the worse.

there was an article on this about how they had CHP going around looking for modified "looking" imports.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I Got a TICKET in Cali... help me!!!!! (DKYamada)

I understand that they look for modified cars however you can not tell the diffrence between b series engines by just looking at the block. If you had a b16 and b18 just sitting on the ground with no serial numbers you couldnt tell which one is which with out looking at the internals. As far as a ref knowing you altered the serial number just depends on how good of a job you do. If you clean the block up shave the old number and stamp it properly then paint the block it would be pretty hard to know the diffrence.
Old 02-25-2007, 01:06 PM

It's true what John666 said..... In CA the CHP needs a search warrant to search your car, trunk or engine compartment unless you give them probable cause. If they stop you make sure you pull over right away cuz if you take a while then they can say you were trying to hide something, so just pull over right away and your good.
Old 02-25-2007, 01:17 PM
* B A N N E D *

lol unless ytouc jacked the motor bro you shouldnt worry about restamping, btw the state refs in cali can tell a b16a head from a b18c1 head, the are trained to do that type ****, unless you find a guy that just relly doesnt give a **** you arent going to pass with a restamped block

Quick Reply: I Got a TICKET in Cali... help me!!!!!