Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

I give up I'm buying an SUV

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 06:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I give up I'm buying an SUV

for the 2nd time this year somebody tried to steal my car... they didnt get it but again they cost me around 600 dollars for a new ignition ... and repairs and **** .. I give up im buying a Explorer and calling the whole thing off !
Old 08-07-2003, 06:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: I give up I'm buying an SUV (Stryker908)

Be carefull. Explorers are stolen a lot also because of their popularity, and high demand for used parts. If you want a SUV that no one would want to steal get an AZTEK!
Old 08-07-2003, 06:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Why an Explorer? Aren't those stolen just as much as Accords these days?
Old 08-07-2003, 06:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I give up I'm buying an SUV (jolt-tsp)

I know a few people who had Explorer's and they were nothing but problems.

I won' ever buy a domestic

Sorry about the thief problem. Do you have an alarm? They still try after the siren goes off (assuming you have an alarm)? F**Kin' thieves can die!
Old 08-07-2003, 06:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I give up I'm buying an SUV (Hybrid93Hatch)

cant afford an alarm have to keep replacing broken/stolen parts ! ...

Did have one victory this time .. the reason they didnt get my car is because their screw driver broke !

I just dont care any more .. I dont wana have to worrie about my car being stolen ... civics are the number 2 most stolen car here in minnesota (acording to the news the other night) I forget what number one is .... but it wasent explorers .... (thinking maybe leasing an exp or maybey buying an old Jimmy or blazer . .I dont knwo i'm just tired of my 'port )
Old 08-07-2003, 06:58 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

Who gives a **** if a stock Explorer gets stolen?

If our Civics get stolen we are losing a lot more money in most cases because the money spent often far exceeds book value.
Old 08-07-2003, 07:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I give up I'm buying an SUV (B18C5-EH2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Who gives a **** if a stock Explorer gets stolen?

If our Civics get stolen we are losing a lot more money in most cases because the money spent often far exceeds book value.</TD></TR></TABLE>

the emotional envestment is far higher then the $ we sink into these cars .... the hrs spent wrenching on them exc.

I will probley end up keeping the Civic .. but its staying in the garage ... No ECU .... no BAT. No steering wheel ..... (cept on race days ... Sad )
Old 08-07-2003, 07:04 AM
Former Moderator

I have often thought about selling my car for this very reason even though it's never been tampered with.

I could sell my car and not take too huge of a hit money wise, but if it gets stolen I am 100% completely fucked.

This is one of the worst things about owning a hybird other than totalling it and having an unusable swap afterwards.
Old 08-07-2003, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So you're stuck on an SUV? There's plenty of cars out there that don't get stolen..

I'm sick of theives... My Civic's been stolen once and broken into once... luckily I had full coverage. my friend an I are actually gonna start staking out and waiting for someone to steal our cars.. maybe we'll actually help catch a theif.. hope so anyway
Old 08-07-2003, 07:18 AM
dAng!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Stryker908 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">for the 2nd time this year somebody tried to steal my car... they didnt get it but again they cost me around 600 dollars for a new ignition ... and repairs and **** .. I give up im buying a Explorer and calling the whole thing off ! </TD></TR></TABLE>

That sux Nathan. Did it not get covered under insurance?

btw, one of the last explorers that got stolen a couple of months ago belonged to a local policeman. He drove it to New York, was loading in some items, and when he turned around, it was gone, along with his firearm.
Old 08-07-2003, 07:31 AM

Default Re: I give up I'm buying an SUV (Russ713)

Get a V (CRV) they have the imobilzer system for the lazer cut keys. I love my V RT4WD plenty of room. Won't get stolen
Old 08-07-2003, 07:46 AM

Default Re: I give up I'm buying an SUV (SI_DRIVR)

Sorry to hear that man. Just get a duhmestic. You rarely hear of one of them getting stolen.
Old 08-07-2003, 07:56 AM

Default Re: I give up I'm buying an SUV (RacerXI)

Tom, when you decide to sell your car let me know.
Old 08-07-2003, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: I give up I'm buying an SUV (Witty)

right on Tom, in fact I posted my casr for sale last week because I was so nervous about theft, as the local theft has become bery professional and very cleanly done... its scary.

Keep the civic, add more security and make sure you have as much coverage thru insurance as possible.

I cant get a good resale on my car so fugg it, I beefed it up with more security measures, paid the extra $90 a year to add $3000 in above-blue-book-value to my coverage and remain happy with my civic... until it falls into the wrong hands.
Only then will I ditch Hondas, buy a Miata and stroke it to 2 liters, drop in 11.5:1 pistons, full race spec susp. and gut it too!
Old 08-07-2003, 08:46 AM

Default Re: I give up I'm buying an SUV (owen_the_soyboy)

Hey man ........Where did this happen, what part of St.Paul are you in?
Old 08-07-2003, 08:53 AM
Vice President/CEO

Default Re: I give up I'm buying an SUV (C00SI)

ugh.. i totally agree. The down side to owning a tuned honda is the theft threat... just something that you gotta pray about everynight.. ugh

Old 08-07-2003, 08:53 AM

hey buy an escalade on 24s that keep spinning then your G, if nopt keep ur civic
Old 08-07-2003, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I give up I'm buying an SUV (C00SI)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by C00SI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey man ........Where did this happen, what part of St.Paul are you in?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Over by Mac. College (very nice area, not trying to brag .. just saying it could happen to anybody my 'rents house was just est. at 320,000$)

Not worth turning in to insurance ... the cost to repair gona be around 600$ deductable is 500 and if i turn it in my insurance is gona go up ... long run its cheaper to pay out of pocket.

the ****'s stole my intake ... so now I have to track down a new one of those on top of everything.

The only reason I'm looking into an older SUV is that you can pick em up pritty cheap ... Just dont have a lot of cash to spend, going back to school and all ....
Old 08-07-2003, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

noooo don't by and SUV

There evil!
Old 08-07-2003, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

your'e shitting us right? your'e gonna dump the honda civic for a ford explorer??? jeeeesssssssaaaaasssssss!!!!!
Old 08-07-2003, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I give up I'm buying an SUV (acydphryck)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by acydphryck &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">your'e shitting us right? your'e gonna dump the honda civic for a ford explorer??? jeeeesssssssaaaaasssssss!!!!! </TD></TR></TABLE>

**** it ... I'm tired of wondering every night if tonight is the night my car gets stolen .... **** I parked my car in the garage every night sence I moved back here ... one night I forgot to and bam somebody trys to steal it ... thats garbage ... Whos gona **** with a stock jimmy or explorer ... or what ever ... ! I am sick of it every day there is a story on here of sombody with a killer car that got jacked ... police dont do **** to stop it (I dont really blame them what else can they do?)

I didnt even bother to file a report this time they dont do anything ... **** it ! :-D Dodge rango here i come ! (maybe I'll put a lift kit on it ... )
Old 08-07-2003, 10:29 AM
Former Moderator

Here's a thought:

Perhaps some people built the car that they wanted to and are "done" and simply grow tired of the whole thing.

I'm getting there...

I keep telling myself I'm done spending money on the car, but then a "deal" pops up, or something minor goes wrong, etc. and I never have disposable income in my bank account.

Add to that the possibility of getting the car stolen (as in the case of Stryker) and I can see how selling even the nicest of Civics would not be too hard to someone who was once very hardcore into it all.
Old 08-07-2003, 10:34 AM

Who do you guys have as an insurance company? I have USAA, they mostly offer insurance to people in the military, if you have recipts for aftermarket things you bought and your car get stolen they will reimburse you for the parts. My freind had his 99 ex stolen with a b16 swap, five lug conversion, Red ITR JDM recaro's, New CTR rims and the basic bolt ons. He also had a fresh paint job before it was stolen. His car was recovered with all the above missing and he got $17,000!!!!
Old 08-07-2003, 10:35 AM

When my last civic got stolen, I took a $4000 hit from insurance, I was screwed big time and had to start over from scratch. I entertained buying an suv, since I have a crx I was planning on tracking, and an suv would be nice for towing, but I ended up with another hatch. It's come along pretty far, and I'm starting to get paranoid about theft again. I'm adding a few more anti theft measures, but the theives around here are more proffesional than I thought. Hopefully before this time next year, I'll have bought some sort of cheap suv, like a bronco or blazer and I can park the civic and put a cage in it. Until then, it's lite sleep and heavy paranoia for me. It's ashame that when my last civic was stolen, I almost bought an m3, because I know I wouldnt have to worry about theft as much with that, but I do with my economy car. . .
Old 08-07-2003, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

here is my other thought ... take the bat out take the ecu out .. and park the thing in my garage under a tarp ... Turn it into a trailer queen ... the problem is the guy poped my hood and stole my intake (after the screwdriver brok im guessing) he now knows I have a swap and where I live ... its prob. worth the effort to come back and get the rest of it !

Quick Reply: I give up I'm buying an SUV